logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
My 10 year old daughter craves sugar ALL THE TIME. She is on the autism spectrum (high functioning) and has terrible ADHD.
I did the "spit test" on her to see if she showed signs of candida overgrowth. Yep... very obvious. So I went to the store today and bought a product manufactured by enzymatics or something like that that is to kill the candida. I want to start her on it soon.
My question is, do I just remove all sugar from her diet at once (which will be very difficult for her... and those of us who live with her!) or can I allow her a little something sweet?
What sort of foods, besides obvious sweets (candy, cakes, cookies, fruit juice and kool aid) do I avoid?

And will she ever be completely rid of it or will we have to fight it always. (This enzyme wasn't cheap).
Hope you can help me!
collier5

P.S. I get cash back on all my eBay purchases. Do you? I also get cash back from 100s of online retailers. Free to join. Learn About BigCrumbs .
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
What you might want to do is start by replacing with sugar substitutes like Splenda to begin with.

My oldest son has Asperger's - and my youngest son is very sensitive to sugar as well, so we started switching over to Splenda in things like Koolaid. It has made a big difference in behavior - and the kids haven't complained about not getting snacks.

Also, if she is ADHD as well, she may have a very high metabolism - and this is why she is having cravings so much. The problem with sugar is that it gives an instant "fix" but also wears off very quickly, so she has another craving very soon afterwards. So try to start getting her to snack on high protein foods like cheese sticks, nuts, Slim Jims, yogurt, even PB&J sandwiches on whole wheat bread would be better than Little Debbie type snacks.

The protein will give her a much longer lasting energy boost and keep her staified longer.

The other thing about yogurt is that it is a natural enemy of Candida. It will help even out her system without having to stay on the enzymes all the time.

Good Luck!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Parakeet
Parakeet
I agree with Michelle about the high protein snacks! We differ on our approaches to using artificial sweeteners though. Yogurt is also a great idea, as long as it isn't packed with sugar. Also, taking proboitic supplements will keep the candida at bay.

Why I don't like artificial sweeteners (most children's livers are overwhelmed by the age of 2):
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by Shay_LoveYourTummy; 08/15/08 10:29 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I should clarify...

I didn't mean to use the artificial sweeteners long-term, but as a way to wean off of the sugar. Kind of like the way a smoker uses the patch to wean off of cigarettes. Then they eventually come off the patch, too.

Eventually you'll come off the artificial sweeteners and use honey, or just have fruits and other naturally sweet items for snacks.

A really good way to keep the amount of sugar down in yogurt is to buy plain yogurt and no-sugar jam (like Polaner All-Fruit) and mix the jam in with the yogurt. That's what I do.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
We use Stevia as a sweetener. It's a natural, zero calorie sweetener.

When my daughter was ill, we started using Holy Tea as a natural detox and it really helped her. Detoxing is a great help for candida, altho for a child I'd stay away from some of the harsher ones out there and read labels.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Yes! Stevia is an excellent sugar alternative, and one of the few that do not feed candida. Two other natural, healthy sweeteners that are candida safe (all plant derivatives) are Lo Han and Xylitol. See if your local health food store carries them. If not, you can request that they do, or purchase them online.

Here is an excellent article on sweeteners and how they affect the body:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Parakeet
Parakeet
Collier, I wanted to thank you for inspiring a new article, which is now up on my Stomach Issues site, on Systemic Candida.

L
L
I've used grapefruit seed extract (Citricidal) for candida and found it helpful.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
You have to be careful with killing off this stuff too quickly. It could really upset her stomach. I have read that activated charcoal can help with this. I think the book "Enzymes for Autism..." by Karen DeFelice has a section on treating systemic yeast. You might want to get it from the library. It should be indexed so you can go right to it (or maybe had a contents section that was clear)

Heather DeGeorge
S
S
Anyone who is craving foods (like sugar, sweetness, simple carbs in general) is probably low in the minerals magnesium and chromium. Great for energy and helping to balancing blood sugar.

Siobhan

www.Kinesiology.ie
www.BalancedHealth.ie
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  AltmedVictoria 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.