Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#432008 07/01/08 10:58 PM
Lynn_B Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Angeles - what do you think of Muzzy (the BBC language series for children)? I think Rosetta Stone is probably too advanced for children. We have several "coversational" classes offered locally; but, they're problematic as the version of Spanish is more Tex-Mex instead of true Spanish.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Lynn_B #432345 07/02/08 07:39 PM
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Our language teachers here are Latino based also. Even Spanishpod.com emphasizes the Latino pronounciations.

Angie #432483 07/03/08 10:45 AM
Lynn_B Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Pronunciations aren't an issue. It's the idiomatic nature of the language instruction that's problematic. If my children are going to learn to speak another language, my goal is for them to pick up at least proper syntax/grammar as opposed to slang.

Lynn_B #432506 07/03/08 12:11 PM
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I think you need to learn both: to speak and be corrected as you go along - just as we did when we were learning English. How often did Mom or Dad or teacher correct us when we used improper grammar? We need to just use it.

Lynn_B #433087 07/05/08 05:58 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Lynn_B
Angeles - what do you think of Muzzy (the BBC language series for children)? I think Rosetta Stone is probably too advanced for children. We have several "coversational" classes offered locally; but, they're problematic as the version of Spanish is more Tex-Mex instead of true Spanish.

�Hola Lynn!

Well, to tell you the truth, this is the first time I hear about Muzzy! But yes, I think you're right about Rosetta Stone.

About those conversational classes, we should first understand what's "true Spanish"... aha! A lot of people think true Spanish is the language spoken here, in Spain. Spanish language was born here, in Spain. In fact, I live in Castilla y Le�n, the "region" that gave its name (Castellano) to what we call Spanish.

But, from my point of view, the Spanish language spoken in Mexico or Argentina is as "Spanish" and as good as the one spoken in Spain. There are variations in vocabulary, expressions or accent (pronunciation). But the real thing is that I can have a conversation with someone fron any Spanish speaking country and we'll understand each other.

When you said those classes are "problematic", is that because the Spanish from the Spanish course they have used is different from the one used in the conversational classes?

Last edited by Angeles F. - Spanish language Host; 07/05/08 06:01 PM.
Lynn_B #433089 07/05/08 06:10 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I think the first step is making them understand and learn Spanish grammar and syntax. And, from that point, after having a solid knowledge, you can practice and learn there are variations, slang...

Because, in real life, they may be involved in a conversation where somebody will use colloquial expressions, slang or vocabulary they were not taugh by a teacher, in a grammar class.

So, both things are important, but I'd put some order: first, grammar, then, go and learn how people talk "in the street".

Most of my online students who come to me with a medium / advanced knowledge of Spanish grammar just what to jump to their next step: practice! conversation! So, about your children... Why not to keep on having those conversational classes? But.. at the same time, be careful to make them first undestand what's right or wrong from a gramatical point of view.

For example, it's soooo common the colloquial "-ao" ending in past participles, when, from a correct point of view, they must end in "-ado"! (He hablao / He hablado)

Angie #433091 07/05/08 06:14 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Angie
I think you need to learn both: to speak and be corrected as you go along - just as we did when we were learning English. How often did Mom or Dad or teacher correct us when we used improper grammar? We need to just use it.

I agree with you, Angie.

Both are important, but maybe the problem, is that when you study a language (grammar, etc...) you are taugh some concrete expressions from a concrete country or region, but when you put that in practice... It doesn't work! Why Angeles says "coche" when the word "carro" is so common in America?? (for example) :-)

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
En mi clase, la professora no usa carro. Usa Coche per dijo carro esta utiliza mucho. La professora es de Colombia.

Angie #433212 07/06/08 03:43 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
�Oh, bien! �Ves? Asi que "coche" tambi�n se utiliza en Colombia. (�Yo no lo sab�a!)

(Oh good! You see? So "coche" is also a word used in Colombia. (I didn't know that!)) :-)

By the way, here we have another -small- difference: I typed "�Ves?", using the informal 2nd persona singular (t�), but in some countries, they would have said: "�Ve?" using the formal form (usted).

But... I have to say, when I talk with people from other Spanish speaking countries, they may use vocabulary I had never heard before. So I just ask them about that word I didn't undestand. And those would be the only "problems" I may have (we may have) in Spanish communication.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.