Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#421515 05/26/08 10:01 PM
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Dawn breaks late over the channel between Artesia and the mainland. The mountains to the east loom dark behind the rising sun.

The travelers in the skiff can see the sun hitting the ramparts of Artesia City, making them gleam. The boatman pauses in his poling the skiff to stand and examine the shoreline through a pocket telescope. He nods, spits over the side, and sits back down to resume poling.

"Looks clear enough", he says. His name is Garmung, and he makes a living taking adventurers across the channel. Sometimes they live long enough to need a return journey.

The water in the channel is choppy, and the rocks barely concealed beneath the wavers look razor sharp. Only a skiff could draw little enough water to make it through, and then only if the owner knows the maze like series of channels.

The bow of the skiff hits the beach, and the group of adventurers clambers out.

"Remember now," Garmung says, "start a fire and toss some of that red weed into it when you need a ride home", he gestures toward a weed that grows along the shore. "It'll make a nice big red cloud, and I'll be over soon as I can. Plan on waiting a few hours, though."

That said, and with half his pay already in his pouch, Garmung pushes the now empty skiff off the beach and starts poling toward the island.

The group looks at each other, and then at the surrounding terrain. No goblins leap to the ambush, leaving open the question, "What now?"

Sponsored Post Advertisement
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Randol looked around at the diverse group that was with him and wondered how many he could actually count on...how many he could trust or how many have actually been in a battle like they were about to embark on.

He then reached down by his feet, grabbed a handful of sand, spoke some magic words and tossed it into the air by his face. It made a type of window or something similar that allowed him to see off into the distance that normal spyglasses could not see.

"I see no one dangerous in the immediate distance." Randol said to the people with him. "There are no goblins nearby."

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
[I will be out of town Sunday through Friday, so don't expect a reply to anything before the 13th.]

The group heads inland, following the rumors they were able to glean in the city about where the goblins had their encampment. For an invading force ready to storm the island, the goblins were certainly not close to the shore.

The group trudges up the hills forming the foothills of the nearby mountains, cursing the limited visibility caused by ever rising terrain. They could see clear to Artesia City behind them, but ahead of them were limited to the top of the next hill.

Finally, they crest a hill and catch sight of a goblin encampment halfway up the next hill. It doesn't seem to be the horde they'd been expecting, with barely a couple dozen goblins camped around a cave leading into the hill.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Varian quietly suggested that he and a couple of other men in the group cautiously approach the goblins waving the flag of peace. If it was all of them, they may spook the goblins and will flee. However, if it was only a couple of them, they may be attacked and killed by the goblins.

As they discussed what they were going to do, the group of goblins stood in front of them and all were wielding spears and were ready to attack the group from Artesia City.

They didn't attack though and that is unlike the goblins. They always attack when there land is encroached upon. One goblin stepped forward as if he was going to speak to the group.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Originally Posted By: Vance Wrestling and Crime
Varian quietly suggested that he and a couple of other men in the group cautiously approach the goblins waving the flag of peace.

[I'm assuming that's Randol making the suggestion, since Varian isn't here..the only ones present are Randol, Derissa, Kam, and Benedict. Not a group that is likely to spook the goblins either way.

So I'm assuming Randol is in favor of approaching the goblins for a parley. We'll wait a bit to see if anyone else wants to join him before seeing how the goblins react.]

Gecko
Gecko
Derissa glances up. "Hmmm...non-lethal goblins? That's new." Of course, through her brain ran the thought, [censored], they know me.... "You go on ahead, Randol. I got yer back..." she flashed a winning grin, "Trust me."

Tucking a book into a small bag, Derissa just smiled and offered no more help. She was surveying, however, the area and the number of goblins. Perhaps she'd have to use her magic, after all...She'd know if Randol was slaughtered mercilessly.

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
"[Kryssie] plans to take over the world one banner at a time"
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"Trust you?! Lady, I don't even know you. I trust no one as I am sure you don't either."

Randol noticed her trying to slip a leather bound book into a satchel slung over her shoulder. He didn't blatantly stare at her but he did notice more of her face than she normally shows and he noticed that she had striking beauty and wondered why she was constantly trying to cover her face.

All kind of thoughts began to rush into his head. "Is she a sorceress? Was that a book of spells she was trying to conceal? Was she the one that he was supposed to find?

He then decided to bide his time and see what happens as he didn't want to spook her or agitate her either as far as that goes. No, Randol would just wait.

Last edited by Vance Wrestling and Crime; 06/15/08 03:00 PM.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Derissa just scoffed and looked away from him, "I'm no lady. I work for a living," she gave him a wink then withdrew into the shadows of her hood. Her eyes, again, searched the foothills for signs of movement.

"Perhaps this is merely a scouting party for the fabled horde..." There was no hint of humor or sarcasm in her voice. Something just didn't feel right and unsettled feelings made Derissa...not a nice person. Not that she was nice to begin with.

She noted Randol's appearance and smirked. She'd noticed his glance--it was why she retreated further into her hood. Still...he could prove useful... Of course, with the right tweak of wit, anything could prove useful. With a sigh, she stood dramatically. "Oh, fine... do you want me to parlay with them? I'm sure I can work something out...who knows, maybe I'll barter for safe passage. Tell me...just how much do you trust me?" A mischievous grin flashed onto her lips.

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"Look, Derissa, I don't trust you because I don't know you. I don't know any of you so I don't trust any of you and I don't expect you to trust me either. I do know that we are in this together and each one of us wanted to come here for one reason or another and so here we are. We each came here to satisy our own agendas but for now we are here together and we have to trust each other by necessity."

He looked around at the group and said, "I will go and talk with the goblins. Someone can come with me if they would like, but if we all go, they may get spooked and think that we are a hunting party. Then they will either retreat deep into the mountain or kill us. I don't know about you all, but I am not ready to die. Not here and not today."

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
[Since Cindy hasn't posted lately, I'll go ahead and post something for Kam, since this talk about parleying seems to be something that would get her going.]

Kam breaks into the discussion, irritated.

"Parleying, with goblins?" She snorts. "I'll show you parleying!"

She strides over the hill toward the goblins, pulling her gauntlets tightly over her hands. The goblins mutter to each other as she approaches. They'd been prepared to run at the sight of an overwhelming force, or to kill a smaller force, but a single human woman isn't something they'd considered.

By the time they come to a decision and start to unlimber their weapons, Kam is among them, fists (and goblins) flying. Before the rest of the group has much time to react, all the goblins are laying on the ground, broken heaps, except for one. That one is bring drug back to the group by the scruff of his neck.

Kam tosses the near-unconscious goblin at Randol's feet. "There, I think he's ready to parley."

Gecko
Gecko
Derissa smirks. Randol is such an easy target to get flustered. This information sticks in her mind and, as she's about to offer assistance, Kam stands up and trudges over. Ah, yes. Sheer brute-force. Not Derissa's strong point--or favorite point, either.

With the goblin now sniveling at Randol's feet, Derissa pats him on the shoulder and smiles. "Go ahead and talk to him. Since Kam's softened him up for you, I'm sure he'll tell you everything you want to know..."

Her eyes flicked toward the tunnel. If there was a party guarding the tunnel...what was inside? Or on the other side...? "You deal with him. I'll scout ahead..."

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Randol was flustered. "I think we could have done it without beating them up."

"Maybe, but it's too late now." Derissa said as she climbed over the rocks and headed down to where the other goblins were.

Randol looked down at the goblin who began to growl and show his teeth. Benedict then kicked him in the head and knocked him out cold.

"Great. That's just great. How am I supposed to question him now?"

"I don't know. That's not my problem." Benedict said as he climbed over the rocks and went down to where the women were.

Randol growled a bit himself. He found some vines and tied the goblin up and carried him over his shoulder like a pack. He then climbed over the rocks and joined the rest of the group at the entrance to the cave.

Derissa crafted a makeshift torch from a tree banch, wrapped a cloth around it and stuck it into the goblins' campfire. "All right, let's go see what is in here or where it leads to."

The group started in but Randol stopped them. "I sense some trouble just ahead. I just got a flash of everybody dying if we venture into this cave. Can we walk around it or do we have to go through?"

"Your a sorceror or something, Stranger. Don't you have some kind of spell to see what the danger is or to get us through safely?" Kam asked him.

"I don't know. Do you have one Derissa?" Randol replied with a coy smile. The rest of the group turned and looked at her.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Derissa blinked. She hadn't expected everyone to just...follow her. Really put a damper on her hunt for treasure...

Still. They were there and now she had to deal with Randol's yammering. "Nope," she spoke in stride as she shone examined the mouth of the cave for traps. "Why would I? You act like I use magic as a daily thing," she glanced over her shoulder, the hood falling back, revealing her black hair and cat-yellow eyes. "I'm just that good." She gave a wink and turned back to the cave. "If you'd let me scout, you'd know if there's danger ahead."

"Oh, really," Randol scoffed. "And how would we know that?"

"Simple," she turned to him, withdrawing a dagger from her belt. "If I don't come back, there's either treasure or trouble," she grinned, then spoke again. "Oh, and if you see me run past you...try to keep up."

Turning back to the entrance, she held the torch in her right hand and the dagger in her left. Not seeing any traps at the mouth of the cave, she smirked, turned to Randol and handed him the torch. "Kinda hard to hide with a torch. I'll be back."

Hiding in the shadows and moving silently, she crept further into the tunnel. She kept herself alert for any signs of danger. Do you have any spells... she scoffed her mind. She'd have to be a bit more careful when preparing them in the future...

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Derissa seems to melt into the darkness as she moves into the tunnel, leaving the others to either wait or follow in her wake.

[At this point, the others can continue into the tunnel, but won't immediately catch up with Derissa.]

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"Those yellow eyes." Randol thought to himself. "She can see in the dark, I'll bet."

"You guys can do what you want but I am not going in there until I know its safe and I wouldn't recommend you go either. I can turn myself into a willo'wisp and fly through the cave at great speeds but I would feel bad if I did that and then something happened to you."

"Ain't nothing going to happen to me. You do what you want." Kam responded gruffly.

"Nothing is going to happen to me either." Benedict said.

The goblin began to stir on Randol's back. "All right, now back off so I can question him and see what is going on."

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
The goblin clearly wasn't happy about its predicament, and it showed that by spitting and cursing in goblinese. When Kam made an off hand comment about twisting his head off to get him to shut up, though, he stopped cursing and looked up at Randol.

"You leader? You let me go, right?"

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I am not the leader but I would like to ask you some questions and then we can talk about letting you go.

"First of all, what is in the cave?"

"Danger." the goblin responded.

"Is there treasure in there?"

"I never saw any. It is said that there is but I never see it."

"I got a vision of us all dying in there. What was that about?"

"You got a vision? You sorceror?"

"Sort of. Now what about the vision?"

"Goblin magic. It just a protection thing."

"Why does the cave need protection if there is just danger in there and why was your band guarding it?"

"Cave is easy doorway to Goblin kingdom. Going through cave saves hours of going around mountain. Let me go now?"

"Not yet. I think you will go with us and tell us where the dangers are in the cave. Once we are safely through, I will let you go."

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Amoeba
Amoeba
"Fashinating" benedict thought to himself. The prospect of learning more about this ...cave and what lay in it was all too great. Finnaly he would be in an adventure as it unfold, not just hear it from a third party.
"So what are we waiting for ? Lets go"

Fool to the Queen of stories * Student of FuFu * Evil l5r GM
Male*Cute*Young Looking*Little Philosopher

"For the Queen of stories"

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
The goblin has a momentary struggle with his conscience. After all, shouldn't his loyalty to his tribe outweigh the physical dangers of resisting the invaders? Then he sees Kam nudge aside the head of one of his companions to make room for herself on the log, and shudders.

"Okay, I take, keep safe."

The goblin motions toward the tunnel entrance, and the group heads in. The daylight from the opening has faded by the time the goblin calls out.

"Stop! Trap here, look for rope along ground. Make big noise, alert other goblins."

Randol uses the torch to scan the ground ahead, and finds not a trip wire, as he'd expected, but the remains of one. Each end of the trip wire is tied neatly to a rock outcropping to maintain the tension on the line, but to allow passage through the tunnel.

The goblin looks puzzled. "That not right," he says.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"What do you mean, that not right?"

"Alarm is not set. I set it myself two days ago. Someone been in here or still in here."

"Okay, so where do we go from here?" Randol asked, not sure what was going on. Did the goblin not set it or did Derissa disable it?

The goblin pointed to his right. "That way we go."

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Meanwhile...

Derissa peered out over the ledge, looking down into the larger cavern. Her lips parted slightly as she watched the goblins moving to and fro, practicing with their spears and playing a game...or arguing...or was that mating? She didn't really want to know.

Her keen eyes focused a few other tunnels and her curiosity drew her to one that went back in the direction of the way she came...sort of. It went deeper and she was certain something entertaining would be there. She was, however, honor-bound to return to the party. What honor she had, anyway, bound her.

She took another sweeping look around the cavern, then slithered back and to her feet, turning to stalk back to the rest of the party--which she figured had probably moved into the cave and were trying to find her. Why couldn't they just leave her alone? Of course, the moment they did that, she reasoned, would be the moment she'd actually need them.

Careful what you wish for...

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
The goblin leads the group further into the tunnel, pointing out several more traps (all neatly disarmed) along the way.

"Be quiet now," the goblin cautions, and then lets out a yelp as Derissa practically materializes out of the shadows in front of the group.

Gecko
Gecko
Without hesitation, Derissa aims a punch at the goblin's face. "No one thought to disarm -his- trap?!" She looked at the rest of the party. They didn't seem amused. "Oh, c'mon...it was at least a -little- funny..." She looked over her shoulder and listened carefully.

"We should be okay. I don't think his yelp was loud enough to alert anyone else," she looks behind her, now alert to any sounds coming toward them. "Why can't you just...wait...would it kill you to stand out side and let me do what I'm good at doing?! Don't answer that. I will one day learn to not ask questions for which I shall regret knowing the answer." She rubbed her temples and sighed.

"Alright, here's what's ahead. There's a large room and a very good number of goblins. The two main arteries in and out are pretty busy. It's quite amazing, actually. I've already disarmed the traps on the way there, so it should be safe, but you'll want to -not- use a torch if you expect -not- to be seen." She clips a smirk to Randol, "I guess this is where you have to trust me..."

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Derissa led the group through the dark tunnel to the balcony overlooking the cavern. The torches in the cavern itself provided enough light to see by.

The scene was much as she'd described. Far more goblins present than could be overcome by force, even though Kam muttered under her breath. The ones practicing with weapons were clearly soldiers, which lent credence to the idea that they were planning to invade Artesia.

The flow of materials from a tunnel leading to the mountain to one nearly below the balcony was a bit more puzzling. There were wagons piled with food and barrels, some covered in canvas, others with clubs and spears piled high. Yet another held picks, shovels, and lanterns.

Other tunnels led out of the great cavern as well, in all directions. Derissa spotted one with minimal traffic that she thought the group could reach with an easy traverse and descent. Anyone falling, though, would surely alert the goblins below.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
All the way through, Randol wondered what she had meant when she told him that "Now he will have to trust her."?

He wasn't about to trust her. He wasn't about to trust anyone yet. Besides, with his magic, he had no problem seeing in the dark. He couldn't help but wonder how the rest of them were doing though.

He was keeping a close eye on Derissa for now. He knew that she had her own agenda for coming here as did he and he was hoping that her agenda wasn't going to get him or the rest of the party killed.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
"That one, right there... let's take that tunnel," Derissa said, pointed to a minimally trafficked tunnel. "Randol, you go first and help the others, I'll follow after everyone to make sure things stay silent."

It would also allow her to make a clean get away should someone make a lot of noise. Self-preservation was the name of the game, after all--at least in the Thieves' Guild. Which she wasn't really a part of anymore. Officially. But, that was beside the point. She really did want to help and she'd be more of a help at the back at this moment. She could see everything and could let them know if there was a problem. Plus...she had a crossbow tucked away somewhere in that loose-fitting robe of hers. Yes, it was best she stay at the top and help lower the others down to Randol.

...what an odd couple these two were turning out to be... A rogue and a sorcerer working together for the greater good of ... nah. It was just happenstance that the two of them were being civil. Derissa, after all, had her own agenda...and was that even her real name? Who knew...besides the Empire...

(( out for the weekend! be back Tuesday! ))

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
The empire, after all, knows everything about anything that they want to.

Randol was feeling very uneasy right now. He has no idea what she has on her mind. He wasn't worrying about himself so much because of his powers. He can get himself out of just about any kind of trouble at any time.

However, he was concerned with the others' safety. Would she really put them in harms' way for some treasure?

Finally, he said, "All right. You wanted me to trust you? Here I am trusting you right now."

With that, he effortlessly descended to the ground and scurried behind some rocks so he could see if the coast is clear without being seen.

A few moments later, he signaled that it was okay and the vine dropped to his feet. He looked up and waited for Derissa to begin lowering them down.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Randol finds that the route to the tunnel Derissa pointed out is fairly clear. The goblins' attentions are elsewhere, either on their weapons practice, and the growing argument (or mating) going on in another group. While getting into the tunnel with all the traffic would be nearly impossible, this side tunnel seems deserted.

The rest of the group is able to follow in his steps easily enough, with Derissa bringing up the rear, watching for the alarm.

The tunnel continues on for some time. After a hundred yards, they're forced to light a torch, as they light from the main cavern has diminished to nearly nothing.

After about fifteen minutes, the group can hear goblins conversing up ahead, sounding like barks in their native language.

Gecko
Gecko
Derissa listens closely to the barks, then pushes her way to the front of the group, trying to see if she can discern any of what's being said. Her goblinish is rudimentary, but it's what she has at the moment.

Her eyes scan for any signs of alarm or traps in this area. She didn't think there were any, however, one can never be too careful--especially with goblins.

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Derissa started down the darkened cavern and Randol tried to stop her to find out what she was doing, but she just ignored him and disappeared into the darkness.

"What is she doing?" Kam asked not liking this stealth stuff. She just wanted to go and start beating goblins up.

"I don't know but I think we should wait here and see if she comes back with some news or just comes back period. I say we give her a few minutes and then go on in."

Reluctantly, the other two agreed with Randol.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
"You guys really can't keep it down, can you," Derissa smirked. "You also like to invent conclusions based on your assumptions of me. It's humorous. Please, continue--some day you may actually be correct." The last words were punctuated by a hard glare at Randol followed by sweet smile to the group.

"They're complaining. I was just trying to hear if they were planning an attack or something. But, they're not. However, if you don't keep quiet, they may change what they're saying and summon the rest of the horde. Whereas you, Kam, may enjoy that, I'm sure I wouldn't. Do you know how many goblins are in a horde? A lot. I'd rather just deal with fifteen to twenty than a horde. So, let's just put a little trust in each other for a change and let each of us do what we're good at. I will not stop you, Kam, from knocking goblin heads together just as Randol will not stop me from proceeding into darkness and returning with information," she smiled to him again--that smile of will you just get off my back and let me do my job--then continued, "It's what I do. Now, shall we just go forward or do we want to just send Kam ahead to clear the path?"

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
The goblin prisoner looked as if he might be getting ready to call a warning, but at the mention of Kam he thought better of it. He wasn't sure how many goblins were in a horde either, but didn't want to bet against Kam if it came down to it.

"You plenty strong," he grunts. "Me take you to Goblin King, you kill and make me King. Then I be human friend."

He gets a bit excited, and loud, during the last of that, and the grunts from the goblins up ahead change to questioning ones, followed by footsteps heading toward the group.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"You people are all crazy. Derissa, you made it quite clear from the outset that you have your own agenda. You keep running off every chance you get without saying anything to anyone so we have no idea what you are doing. Kam you are just looking for a brawl and Benedict, I have no idea why you are here either. Are you all looking for revenge for that man being killed back at the pub? And now we have a goblin who wants us to make him a king and he will be our friends. That would be nice to live in peace with the goblins but I don't trust him either. I am here to find a blood diamond."

Then the goblin said, "A blood diamond? Goblin King wears one as necklace."

"Oh, of course he does. Why not? I didn't expect it to be easy or anything." Randol said with a frustrated tone.

"Derissa, it would be nice if before you go running off that you let someone know what you are doing so we aren't trying to guess and left wondering, but of course, you continue to do what you want to. Don't let anything I say or the safety of these other two and the goblin be of any concern to you."

Randol stopped for a moment and took a breath. He knew he was about to get loud and that wouldn't do anyone any good. In a quieter tone, he said to Derissa, "You said something about us drawing conclusions about you but that is all we have to go on. You are very closed off and secretive and there may be a reason for that, but, we are all in a very precarious postion right now and we have to trust each other or people will die. I don't know about the rest of you, but dying here is certainly not on my agenda. Derissa, I said before I would trust you, against my better judgment, but I did say it and I meant it but it would be nice if you throw us a bone or something and let us know something before you go running off."

Then the noise of the goblins up ahead suddenly stopped and there was an erie quiet.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Derissa smiled sweetly. She always did that when she was getting upset. She reached her right hand to pat his cheek, "Awww, poor Randol. His agenda's not as easy as he'd hoped! Whatever is he going to do..." She smiled derisively and then put her hands on her hips. "As for me, I've never once said anything about my agenda. You assume you know what it is. You also don't listen for I've said each time I've gone away from you that I was going...to scout. Perhaps I should use a smaller word so you'll be sure to understand." Her eyes flicked to the side, followed by a slight turn of her head.

"Your pet goblin, there, seems to have alerted the others. Kam, get ready for a fight. Benedict, get ready to...do...whatever it is you do... and Randol... try to keep quiet and just cast your magic."

"What about you? Running ahead again," Randol snarikly asked.

Derissa grinned, replaced the hood of her cloak and grabbed up her crossbow from under her robe before disappearing into shadows, "Maybe...maybe I'll stay and fight. Just keep your pet quiet. As much as I'm loathed to say it...he could be useful..."

Hiding in the shadows, she waited for the onslaught of a small horde--like a classroom--of goblins to come forward. She'd wait to see how things were going before she attacked...or did something else potentially useful.

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"Try to keep quiet and just cast your magic." Randol said to himself sarcastically. "I'll cast some magic alright... Smaller words. I'll give her smaller..."

Then he came back to his senses and saw a light down the corridor. The light was slowly getting brighter which meant that whoever was wielding it was getting closer to them. There was no place for them to duck and cover so he made sure the goblin was quiet and he cast a spell to levitate the group high into the air and told everyone to be quiet. The captive goblin was about to do something it seemed to alert their presence but Kam punched him in the head and knocked him out again.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
The small horde of goblins troops down the tunnel, bickering just like a classroom of small children. They move past Derissa without seeing her, and stop just under the levitating group. They seem to be arguing, and one hits another on the back of his head. Or maybe that's an accepted goblin gesture of respect. Few scholars have managed to return with details of goblin culture.

Regardless, there seems to be a debate going on.

[Those with a bit of goblin can tell that they're arguing about who heard what, one is complaining about having to leave a dice game he was winning at, another claims he was cheating, etc.]

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Randol wondered if Derissa was alright or even if she was still with the group and if she could hear the goblins and what they were saying. He was also hoping they wouldn't look up. It was then he decided to use the cloaking spell so if they did look up, the group wouldn't be seen.

Moments later, Randol and the group heard something further down the cavern and the goblins got distracted by the noise and went to check it out. Randol heaved a sigh of relief.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Good, Derissa thought. The rock-trick worked.

She had thrown a rock down the hallway and the goblins seemed to be distracted enough to go chasing sounds. She looked up...she knew Randol, et. al. were up there...but she couldn't see them. She hoped that meant he found a ledge and not that they were captured.

Silly wizard.

Stepping from the shadows, she replaced her crossbow under her robe, then moved the hood back, shaking out her hair. Her eyes looked over the area, looking to see if any stragglers were left, and just /where/ to go from here. She didn't want to just run ahead without letting Randol know what she was doing. The lout would likely make a lot of noise and follow her...then lecture her to death. She sighed and leaned against the wall. "Five minutes. If he and the rest aren't here in five minutes, I'm going to look for Caleb myself..."

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Four and a half minutes later, Randol and the group appeared near Derissa. Ever so quietly, they crept up near her and this was the first time Randol saw her without her hood on and could get a good look at her.

"Stunning. Absolutely stunning." he murmered in a low voice.

"Did you say something Randol?" Derissa asked and glared at him.

"*Ahem* Yeah I was just thinking out loud about what we are going to do. We are going to have to fight our way out of this tunnel or we will have to find another tunnel but its obvious that unless we plan on living in this cavern, we are going to have to fight that horde to get out. I don't know if they are guarding the mouth of the cavern or not and fighting them may bring more."

"Good, the more the merrier." Kam said as she was chomping at the bit to get into a brawl.

"I talk now." the captive goblin said. The members of the group looked at each other and decided to let him have a say.

"Goblins brothers no look for you. It was cavern patrol. They patrol all caverns. They will check noise down there and keep going to another cavern. Outside this cavern is forest and through forest is Goblin Kingdom. Not so many dangers in forest but lots of dangers in the kingdom. Lots of prisoners too. Goblin Kingdom full of wonderful treasures that people try to take so they get captured and soon put to death. Tried to put one to death other day but he escaped and made it back to big city across the water."

The cavern was getting darker. Must be nightfall. "We need to make camp somewhere and get some rest." Randol said.

"Anywhere is safe. Goblins afraid of dark. They will not be out." the captive goblin said as he grasped Randol tightly. He was afraid as well.

"I will take first watch and in hours, I will wake someone up to relieve me." They carefully walked until they were outside of cavern and found a secluded spot to make camp.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Derissa was growing impatient. She leaned against the wall, tapping her fingers on her arm. She was just about to push off and go forward when she heard Randol murmur something.

...did he just...say stunning?!

She listened to his very bad lie about what he'd said and just smirked. So cute when he was trying to be deceptive. She'd have to train him. She felt her cheeks flush and thanked Loki it was dark enough that no one could see that. What was she thinking?! Randol'd be an awful thief!

"So...you're planning on stunning the goblins, then? That's the great plan? Stun them with what? Your karmic wisdom? Good luck there..." She smirked and chuckled, looking away. Her raven waves hid her face--which was probably best.

That's when the goblin decided he wanted to talk. As he spoke of the prisoner, her mind flicked back to the guy that'd started this adventure--the one who said he'd swum the channel. Injured. Good to know...maybe that meant this Caleb guy was still alive. She hoped so...

Randol's words sort of glossed over her ears. Something about camp and guarding and hostile take-overs--wait, that was her thought. "Hmm?" She finally asked, coming out of her consuming thoughts and plans for accomplishing her mission. "Watch? Oh, right... sleeping," she gave Randol her signature smirk, "You sure you're a good choice for first watch? I mean...if something happens, what are you going to do? Mesmerize them?" She lifted her hands next to her face and wiggled her fingers in mock-spell casting. "Maybe you should let me take first watch...or don't you trust me to not run off and leave you alone to die?" Her smirk grew a little dark--as if she hadn't thought of that idea before. It was kind of appealing. Kind of.

"...fine. You take first watch, Kam can take second, and I'll take third..." She reasoned to herself this would give those that needed to prepare spells enough uninterrupted sleep. She just hoped no one questioned...

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
The group had emerged high on the far side of the mountain, well away from human civilization. Farther down the slope, they could see what must be the exit of one of the tunnels with all the traffic in the main cavern, the one that led away from Artesia.

Torches line a road that heads into the forest. The traffic seems mostly in the direction of the cavern, an impressive movement of goblins and materials from what, in the distance, looks like a rude collection of huts, but probably passes for a goblin city.

The immediate area seems safe enough for a camp.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Randol was growing tired of being mocked by this woman but he figured she was doing it to hide her own insecurities. He hadn't thought about her taking a watch and then using that time to abandon the group...no...he couldn't start thinking like that. He had to be able to trust her. He couldn't be watching her and watching out for trouble as well. He needed to be able to focus on the task on hand and the trouble that may be ahead. He hoped that she needed them as much as they needed her to get out of this place.

As the others slept, Randol watched the area for any sign of trouble. He would walk to different areas and peer into the distance and from above. He saw nothing out of the ordinary except the bright full moonlight shining down and accenting Derissa's features. This was the first time that he could look at her face without her looking back or hiding it. Some hair fell across her cheek and he gently brushed it away. She moved and he jumped back.

What would possess him to do something like that? What if she awoke and saw him kneeling over her? She would probably reach for a dagger and kill him. It was then that he decided to gaze at her from a distance.

For the next couple of hours, he looked for any signs of trouble and saw there was none. Gently, he woke up Kam for her turn to watch and told her not to mess with the goblin that was secured nearby in some brush.

Soon, he allowed himself to drift off to sleep.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Much to Kam's disgust, her watch passed without a horde of goblins descending upon the camp. She woke Derissa at the end of her watch, and rolled herself into a blanket to sleep.

Midway through Derissa's watch, a bit before the first hints of dawn would start to show in the sky, she heard a branch break in the woods, followed by the footsteps of someone trying to move stealthily.

Derissa moved silently into the woods a bit, allowing the person to move past her to the edge of the camp. It was a human, a man who looked gaunt and ragged, his face and arms scratched from thorns and branches.

He paused, looking over the sleeping group, indecision in his face.

Gecko
Gecko
Fight.
By using a lesser spell, Derissa was certain she could either make this guy into an ally or make sure he didn't bother anyone. She could invoke her assassin knowledge and slit his throat before he had the chance to slit anyone else's. She could alert Kam and know for sure the problem would be taken care of.

Flight.
She could just sit back and watch the man destroy the camp. She was, after all, already hidden--she could continue on her way and accomplish her objective. She could just let this disgruntled hunk of male flesh do whatever dastardly deed he was going to do and just go on about her life as if nothing had ever happened.

But something had happened...

She looked at the camp--at Randol, at Kam, at Benedict...and that stupid goblin. Her eyes went back to Randol. She closed her eyes and sighed.

Fight.
Stepping from the shadows, she snaked her arm around the man's neck and shoved a crossbow bolt into his back. It felt like a knife...sorta. "Listen, pal, I don't know who you are, but you and I are going to become fast friends. See that girl over there, sleeping? Be glad it's not her watch." She maneuvered the man towards Randol and kicked Randol's leg. "Wake up, we have a guest."

Turning the man around she looked him over, then looked to Randol. "You wanna talk to him? Or should we wake Kam?"

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"No, we can talk to him and if he doesn't give us the answers we want, then we wake Kam. Let's move him away from the camp and to a more secluded area."

Randol looked at the man and saw he was cut up by brambles and bushes and he looked nervous as well.
Randol then smiled because Derissa woke him instead of running away or letting the man kill them all, if that was his intention.
Derissa looked at Randol and said, "Stop smiling. I still need you guys...for now anyway."

They walked a bit further into the woods and then she whispered to him, "If you ever touch any part of me, especially my cheek again without my permission, it will be the last thing you touch with that hand. Got me?"

"Sorry, but I just wanted to see if your skin was as soft as it looked and it is." Randol said with a smile.

Last edited by Vance Wrestling and Crime; 07/08/08 02:09 PM.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
The man's expression alternates between fear and relief.

"Are you from Artesia? You are, aren't you!" He swings toward relief. "I knew Connor would get there and send a rescue party!"

He sits on a log, clearly exhausted.

"When Connor escaped, they moved us from the caverns to the goblin city, what there is of it. I was only able to get away because they've taken nearly all the goblins away."

He swings back toward fear again, looking up at Randol and Derissa.

"They're going to attack Artesia! We have to warn them!"

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"Whoa! Easy there. Who is going to attack Artesia? Who are they? Why are they going to attack Artesia? Who took the goblins away" Randol fired at him. He couldn't go back to Artesia now. He was so close to what he needed. He may never be this close again.

The man then passed out from exhaustion.

"Derissa, we have to wake the others and let them know what is going on. We also have to hear everything he knows. What do you think?"

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Still not exactly happy with his attempt to flirt with her, Derissa glared at Randol. "I think we should find out his name and why the heck the goblin prisoners keep passing out or dying. Funny, they only seem to do that when engaged in conversation with you..." She gave her sacchriny sweet smile, sarcasm dripping from the corners.

"You go wake the others. They won't assume you're trying to steal from them... I'll guard him and try to get more information."

Randol grumbled, but Derissa's glare convinced him it was probably better to just do as she said. Derissa watched him leave then smirked to herself, "Train 'em early..." She looked at the prisoner and sighed, then reached into her pouch for some smelling salts she carried...along with everything else. When the man came to, she stared at him a moment and asked her own questions.

"First of all, calm down. We already know the goblins plan to attack. That's part of why we're here. Second of all, what's your name?" She glanced beyond him to make sure Randol was still trying to keep Kam from killing him. "Answer me that one question and I promise no one from my camp will harm you on my watch."

Last edited by Kryssie - This Date; 07/09/08 04:10 PM.

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
"My name? I'm Dorian." He seems a bit alarmed at the thought that he'd need protection from other humans.

The others in the group wake and gather around as Dorian continues his tale. Kam drags the goblin prisoner over and sits him on the ground in front of her, keeping her hand on his shoulder.

"Connor, me, and about half a dozen others were captured by goblins on a fool's errand of a treasure hunt. They kept us in the caverns for a while, where we heard they were planning on attacking Artesia. After Connor escaped, they moved us to the city."

"The place is practically deserted! Most of the goblins are moving into the caverns. How they plan on getting across the channel I don't know, but they must think they can. They were moving us back into the caverns yesterday, and I took advantage of the lack of guards to escape."

"There are only a few of us left back there. Some died trying to escape. It's just Kalira, Caleb, and Borst, now that I've gone."

Dorian shakes his head.

"We overheard them talking about keeping us alive for a sacrifice to one of their gods, to 'open the way'. I don't think the others have much time, but there wasn't much I could do against even the few goblins that were left. By now they'll be in the caverns, and headed toward a grisly end."

The goblin prisoner, quiet until now, pipes up.

"Yes", he says cheerfully, "ritual sacrifice very messy. First they cut off their -- Ow!" That last as Kam slaps him in the back of his head.

Gecko
Gecko
Derissa's eyes flicker. "Kalira, Caleb, and Borst...man, I'm suddenly hungry..." She frowns as her mind wanders for a moment, shakes out her head and looks back to Dorian. "Alright. Don't panic. Why don't you go ahead and rest for a little. My..." she paused and looked at the motley crew, "...compatriots...and I will discuss this information and figure out a plan of attack. We'll get your friends, don't worry." She gave a slight smile and clapped his shoulder with her opposite hand.

Dorian curled up and Derissa removed her long cloak, draping it over the man for some warmth while the rest talked. Her eyes distractedly flicked over to Randol...who was staring. "Put your eyes back in your head...it's just leather." She was dressed in black deer skin leather from head to foot. It was close fitting, but breathable. Rather protective, but distracting enough to any male foes that she could get just about anything she wanted.

"Now. What do we want to do? I'm sure Dorian could be convinced to fight with us. We've got the goblin who...I'm fairly certain will do what we say and request with the utmost honesty." Here she grinned sweetly to the goblin and then nodded back to Kam, whose hand tightened a bit on the goblin's shoulder.

A disturbing grin of acceptance spread onto his lips. Behind it, the hint of your deaths will be very painful when I get to be King lurked. Derissa seemed to know his thoughts and just smiled even more.

The silent communique was understood and accepted. Derissa moved on. "We'll use the goblin to get to where we need to be. It'll take some work on my part, but, I'm sure I could craft a goblin masque and attire. Perhaps it will help get closer to--"

"No," Randol interrupted.

Derissa sighed, "Then what, oh great fearless leader, do you suggest?"

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"I don't want you to do that. So many things can go wrong with a costume, especially a makeshift costume and I don't want anything to happen to you."

"Why don't you want anything to happen to me?" Derissa asked as she glared at him.

Randol wished he had a Twix bar because he certainly needed a moment.

"Because...we... will need all the help we can get if we have to battle the goblins." he stammered. "Look, can I talk to you in private for a minute, please?"

Hesitantly, she agreed and they walked off together. Kam shook her head in frustration and said, "I wish they would just kiss and get it over with." The others chuckled a bit.

When they were out of sight of the others, Randol pulled something from his pouch and said, "Give me your spell book."

She was shocked and said, "Spell Book? I don't know what you are talk..."

"Come on, Derissa. Cut the [censored]. We don't have time for this. Give me your spell book."

Reluctantly, she reached into her pouch and pulled a leather bound book from it that was similar to his and yet very different. She handed it to him and he opened it to a blank page.

In his hand was a Moonstone crystal and he placed it on the blank page and spoke some words that were not decipherable to her and there was a flash of light and then fire consumed the page. When the fire went out, the page was replaced with a page made of gold leaf.

It is done. You see those two words on this page? Touch the book, say the words and you will become invisible. These other two words will bring you back to visibility. You are not supposed to have this spell yet but this is an emergency. Use this spell and you will get so close to the goblins, you will be able to smell what they had for breakfast and they won't know you are there."

He handed the book back to her and said, "Don't make me sorry that I am trusting you like this. We need you...I need you. We won't make it out of here alive if everyone is not together on this."

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Derissa looked down at the book. Was that fear on her face? She read the words: Nurta I' fea. She knew the language and the meaning. Blind. It was an extremely high level spell and it would take all her energy to use it. She thought the costume idea was much better...Disguise has its benefits.

"Randol, I appreciate the concern. No, really... But, seriously! I know what I'm doing. I haven't lived as long as I have doing what I do without knowing what I'm doing!" She paused a moment and frowned, trying to figure out what she just said. Satisfied that it was what she meant, "You really don't have to worry."

She snapped her book shut and stuck it back in the pouch of holding and turned back to the group. When she emerged, everyone was staring at her, then there was a burst of snickers. She glared at them and narrowed her eyes. "What."

"Nothing!" Kam insisted.

Derissa glared. "I know what you're thinking..." she glanced back to the woods and smirked, giving Kam a wink. "It's not the right time yet... Trust me, there will be one. But, it isn't now. Right now, we have to figure out just how we're going to get into the Goblin City..." she paused a moment, and thought. "I wonder if I can summon the Goblin King...anyone have a baby?"

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"Anyone have a baby? Are you serious? You should have asked me the other day. I left the baby in my other pocket." Randol laughed. "Does anybody have a baby, yeesh." The others in the group laughed too.

Then Randol offered, "Our new friend here just escaped, maybe he can get us back into the city or maybe we can finally find a use for the goblin besides being the personal punching bag of Kam here. But can we trust the goblin not to lead us into a trap?"

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
I wish the goblins would come and take you away. Right now! Derissa thought as she eyed Randol. She knew what she was talking about--even if no one else did.

"Would you let the poor man sleep? Maybe we should all go back to sleep until the dawn breaks. Except for me, of course. It is, after all, my watch."

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"I don't think anyone will be able to sleep now. Maybe we should go into Goblin City under the cover of night. I do not believe there will be too many humans walking around there in the daylight that are not prisoners, and heck fire, for all we know, they may be on their way to Artesia City now. What do the rest of you want to do?"

Randol asked looking at the group. "It is up to you. Anyone have any better ideas?"

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
The goblin eyes Kam, then nods slightly. When she doesn't hit him, he speaks.

"I can lead you to Goblin King. Many guards, must fight or trick. You defeat King, make me King!" Upward mobility is apparently a popular concept among goblinkind.

"Goblin King is near tunnels leading to island. Wait for full moon to sacrifice prisoners to open sealed tunnel."

All eyes go to the moon, which is nearly full. Another day, perhaps two, remain.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Randol couldn't help but think about what the captive goblin kept saying about making him king once the goblin king is vanquished.

Could the people of Artesia City and other surrounding lands be able to trust him? Would he want to make peace with the humans?
Something about this bothered Randol but he wasn't going to dwell on it. It may be nothing or it may be something.

He had other things to worry about now and one of those things was Derissa's cockamamie idea to get disguised as a goblin to infiltrate the group. He hoped that she would change her mind but he has only known her a short time but knows once her mind is set on something then that is the way it is going to be so
he hoped it would work and he hoped that she would come back safely, if she did really still plan on going through with it.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Derissa sighed. Her mind was racing. What to do, what to do. There wasn't a lot of time. "Alright. We don't have a lot of time, here. Two days, tops. We've got to get to the prisoners..." She looked to the goblin then to Randol, her mind racing. "Alright, how's this...Randol, you cloak yourself and everyone else like you did back in the tunnels and I'll hide in the shadows next to our little goblin friend, here, and see if we can't get close to the goblin king. That way, you don't have to worry if I'm going to come back or not and I don't have to worry about you alerting the whole horde."

She looked at the exhausted and frightened Dorian. "We can't ask you to take us to the Goblin King..." Passing her hand over his eyes, she whispered softly, "Templa en' tessa." Dorian's eyes closed and Derissa gently helped him lie down, covering him with her great cloak. Stepping back from him, it looked as if he were nothing more than a small rock. "Let's get going..."

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
[Last minute conversations and planning can continue, but the action will pick up again in Scene 3: The Goblin King]

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"Alright, Derissa. I guess we don't have a choice. We will do it your way. I..." he pauses and then says "Never mind...So,anyway, what happens when we find the Goblin King?"

Kam piped up and said, "We kick his [censored]. Finally, we get to kick [censored]."

"Easy Kam. Slow down there. We need a plan before we can kick [censored]. Anyone have any thoughts?" Randol asked looking around at the group.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Derissa blinks and without further discussion, shrugs and says, "Let Kam kick [censored]. That's a good plan."

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"It's not a good plan, Derissa..."

"Why isn't it?" Kam asked as she interrupted Randol.

"It's a good plan until you get killed and then get the rest of us killed. We need a solid plan so that we may actually survive this thing."

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
Derissa tries to stifle a snicker, "Uh...Randol, you may wanna re-think your words, there. I think Kam's pretty capable of -not- getting killed. Especially if the rest of us do what we're good at and back her up. See? It all comes back to letting people do their jobs, Randol. You cast spells, Kam beats things to a pulp, Benedict...takes up space... you cast spells, and I ...well, I negotiate."

She smiles to Randol and looks to the goblin. "So. We go in and clear out the current Goblin King (who I really hope looks like the guy I have pictured in my head)...what's to keep you from doing the same thing he's doing now? Which is capturing people and plotting to attack Artesia?"

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
The goblin's eyes go wide, either in surprise or an attempt to look innocent.

"I no do that! King only attack humans because the Konig-folk pay him. Me no like them, so me no work for them."

He glances sidelong at Kam.

"And if I do, she comes back."

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
"If she's not dead." Randol muttered in a low voice.

"Did you say something Randol?" Derissa asked.

"I said Ok let's go ahead." he said with a half smile.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
[I want to make sure I understand the plan so far, for the starting posts of scene 3.

The goblin and Derissa get close to the Goblin King, with Randol and the others following, magically concealed.

Kam kicks butt, the goblin prisoner becomes the King, and frees the human prisoners.

Is that about right?]

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Jay, I pm'md you with scenario.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
[You can find the start of Scene 3 here)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Leif - Role Playing Games 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.