logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#414555 05/03/08 08:48 PM
carriej Offline OP
OP Offline
My 7 year old Dylan has been 'diagnosed' w/ ADHD, it's been a nightmare so far, as I imagine many of you on here can relate. The worst part is simply not knowing what would be the best thing for him, as doctors tell me one thing and other mother's and friends tell me another, based on their experience. I'm wondering if anyone's read any good books on the subject. Anything would help!!!

Oh, and this is my first post (my name's Carrie, btw)... seems like a great community here, I'm glad to be a part of it and plan to learn lots and stay active. smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Hi Carrie,

I have a son with Asperger's and ADHD and a daughter with ADD (without the hyperactivity component).

Can you tell us a little more about what your son is like? And what your doctor is recommending? That way we might get a better idea of what's going on, and how to better advise you.

In the end of course it is your decision.

One of the best books I ever read was "The Explosive Child". It really helped us understand how our son could go off the deep end sometimes, and what we could do to minimize those occurences.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
N
N
I have a kid that is borderline ADD (more attention problem than hyperactivity). The doctor we saw wanted to give him medication. We don't think that is right. After doing some researching online, we found out that there are many reasons that can contribute the symptons of ADHD. Since my wife has food allergies, we thought that food allergies might be the reason for his problem. After reading "Dr. Bob's Guide to Stop ADHD in 18 Days", we stopped giving him the food that the mother has allergies of. In 2 days, all his problematic behaviors in school stopped.

This is not the cure for all ADHD kids. I am trying to say that there may be many reasons for ADHD. It is hard to find out the reasons for each particular kid. At the end, the parents need to be well informed and be the advocate for their kids. Good luck.

Here is a book that I find it useful for me to be more patient with my kid.

Parenting Children With Adhd: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach
ISBN-10: 1591471826
ISBN-13: 978-1591471820

Happy Mother's Day!

Here are 2 Mother's Day ecards for you.

LML Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Netbella, thanks for that book recommendation! I've just been diagnosed with ADD myself and we have suspected my 10 yr is ADHD since he was a toddler. I'll have to check out that book.

J
J
I have an older son w/ADHD-IN and, believe me, there are many of us around. I would like to suggest a board that has many parents and support. They will offer you insight on their experiences and answer questions. We do use meds but there is a great mix of parents on the board. Non-judgemental, friendly.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

I actually don't have any kids but my father is an education therapist, he deals with kids that have learning disabilities and the best way that I have seen to help with behavioral disabilities are implementing real life activities in their daily schedules. For example cooking with them is a great way to help with basic motor skills etc.

M
M
I also have a son with ADHD and the best program i used is called The Calm Kids Program I saw an improvement in about two weeks, and after 6 weeks he was much calmer, able to concentrate for longer periods of time and was generally much easier to manage. In fact, his teacher was amazed at the improvement.

There are Two Free Reports that you might want to read and they are very informative.

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.