logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#3998 03/01/05 01:10 PM
Gecko
Gecko
We left the tank as it was for quite a while, just the little orange guy with blue spot, and two huge plecos. Last weekend, DH finally put back all the other toys -- silk flowers, sea glass, cave, etc. Then yesterday, he came home with 2 medium sized and 2 teeny cichlids. I told him he bought the bigger fish a snack, but he disagreed. So far, so good. Now there are 6 cichlids, so we'll see how they do. He thought with all the hidey holes that they would all get along.
Nan

Hi, my name is Nannynan, and I'm a betta addict.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#3999 03/01/05 01:40 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
I am thinking about putting flower pots in my tank instead of rocks. I personally do not like holey rock, and lava rock is cool, but I wanna do something a little different. I am going to get all different sized flower pots and cut them so they make little caves.

#4000 03/02/05 06:00 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Be careful how many cichlids you put in that tank. They need plenty of space, especially those african cichlids. They are very aggressive and will do a number on each other if they don't have enough room to spread out and claim some territory of thier own.

So far my ram babies are still doing fine. The mom and the other females I bought from the same batch have nematodes though...(blah)...so I am treating them with interneal parasite meds. They're those ugly red worms that hang out from thier vents..dang, I hate parasites..lol.. Hopefully the other fish in the tank won't be affected as these ugly things need a crustacean in order to complete thier cycle and I don't have any in any of my tanks. They are all being treated though because I can't feed those affected with anything but the treated food for 3 days straight...4 weeks in a row. Hope they go away quickly. The male I bought from another batch doesn't seem to be affected, which is good, but he's still being treated along with the gouramis.

I had put my breeding female ram in one of those little plastic quarenteen things that hang inside the tank...she went and layed eggs in it..silly girl ! Of course they aren't fertile because daddy was outside looking in. Hope they don't start to get all fungusy on me..I can't get them out..lol..she glued them in !

#4001 03/02/05 11:18 AM
Amoeba
Amoeba
LOL EMG! Sometimes fish are so weird.

I have settled on a few definite fish going in my tank:

venestus
chipoke
socolofi
sunshine yellow

I do not know the rest that I am going to put in. I am going to end up with 6-7 fish though, plus either 2 syno-cats or plecos. I have not decided which yet.

#4002 03/02/05 06:42 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Emg,

I got home last night to see the bigger blue striped guy with the verticle striped little guy in his mouth, with only a bit of the tail protruding. Sigh. I tried feeding them to tempt him to eat something else. He gulped the rest of the little guy, and then went and ate flakes.

The other little one is fine, they are all letting him be. So, I guess having 6 cichlids is one too many.
Nan

Hi, my name is Nannynan, and I'm a betta addict.
#4003 03/02/05 09:03 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
aww! sometimes fish can be real buggers, can't they? The people I work for have a 75 gallon and their shark chases all the fish at times, just messin with them.

#4004 03/02/05 10:33 PM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Cichlids are certainly very aggressive..the african ones anyway. I guess you do know if you have too many when they start eating each other up.

#4005 03/20/05 11:01 PM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Well, thought I would post something on here about my rams...since they're a cichlid and all..lol..

The baby rams I am raising are doing very well so far. They are almost 5 weeks old now. I don't know how long it takes them to grow large enough to sell...hope not too long. I'd like to keep a few of these for myself, but we'll see if I have a tank to put them in or not..lol..I seem to have put that 20L on hold for awhile...just too many tanks to take care of right now, I'd be a total nut to add another !

I had an episode of cammallanus nematodes in the female rams I had first brought home. Lost one but the other two seem to be coming around. I have been feeding them "Jungle anti-parasite medicated food" It's taken about 3 weeks so far and it looks as though one of the females has gotten rid of hers...but I still see one hanging from the other one.

These are intestinal parasites that you can see hanging from thier vents. Ugly red critters..blah..but so far I see no signs of any of my other fish coming down with them. I have been reading that they need a crustacean to complete thier cycle...and I don't have any, not even a snail..so I'm hoping the rest are spared this nuisance. We'll see.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Mary_Betta_Fish 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.