logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
My oldest son was diagnosed with seizure disorder (epilepsy) today. How do parents deal with such news? My way of processing things like this is to write about it. I've shared the benefit of what I've gone through for others who may find themselves in a similar situation:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Warmly,

Marie
Sons Site Editor
BellaOnline.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Marie,

After reading your article, I know exactly how you feel,

My 16 yr old has Asperger's syndrome - he was dx around the age of 10 (a few false dx before then - it was a long road).

But this past Oct he had a grand mal seizure at school with no warning and had to be taken to the ER by ambulance. I'm sure we went through a lot of the same tests: CT, MRI, EEG, etc.

He started on Lamictal for his seizures. Driving and kayaking had to be put on hold for 6 months, we are hoping he can start back next month.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
OP Offline
Thanks for the reply, Michelle. He started on Keppra on Tuesday, and so far no seizures and no side effects. We up his dosage beginning Tuesday, so we'll see.

Having gone through it also, you know what a scary thing it is to witness and how absolutely helpless you feel watching your child go through this!

Warmly,

Marie
Sons Site Editor
BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
We looked at Keppra, too. It is a very good medication for seizures. We couldn't use it for my son because it tends to have a negative affect on a child that already has rage control issues.

But the neurologist really wanted to try him on it - that's how much she believes in it. And she does research on epilepsy down here at Emory University. (I love being near Atlanta!)

Do you have an emergency med to use if a seizure goes longer than 5 minutes?

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
[quote=SonsSiteEditor]My oldest son was diagnosed with seizure disorder (epilepsy) today. How do parents deal with such news? My way of processing things like this is to write about it. I've shared the benefit of what I've gone through for others who may find themselves in a similar situation:

BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I definitely agree that having a support group is key. You are not alone in what you are facing - other people have figured out tips and techniques which really might help you out a lot.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Laura - Sons 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review - Adobe Animate Essential Training
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Learn EVERYTHING about Creating Repeat Patterns
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:04 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/11/24 04:36 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.