logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I'm curious if the adoption agencies teach about attachment disorder now and how to recognize it. Has anyone here adopted a child with attachment disorder? How is it going?

I adopted a child in 1994 who has attachment disorder. In hopes of trying to help her she actually lives with her birth mom now, her dad, her birth mom and I are involved in her life and she's doing a lot better.

I hope the agencies tell about attachment disorder now.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Shark
Shark
M
No they do not even mention disorders such as RAD in foster classes or adoption classes. It is not a recognized disorder in most countries that are adopted from, and in the US we avoid allowing foster parents to take the foster children they have anywhere they could acquire such a diagnosis as it would hinder chances for adoption (for them cost saving) I certainly support giving these kids a chance, but adopting them to unsuspecting people who have no idea what RAD or ODD is, is a sure fire way to get them yet another let down frown. We need informed - trained - commited parents for these kids, period. Not just anyone who is naive enough to think that a life of broken promises and not attention leaves no risidule affects. *sigh*

Mindy, Adoption Editor
Adoption Site
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
> Has anyone here adopted a child with attachment disorder?
> How is it going?

Yes, I have, and he is doing very well. He has been with us for 2 years and arrived in our home at 5.5 years old.

M
Shark
Shark
M
It is something you can certainly do able - but only with the right parents - committed ones. smile so kudos to wilreba you have done something that scares others from even trying!

Mindy, Adoption Editor
Adoption Site
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Yes Kudos to anyone who can keep an attachment disorder child. I had no idea what it was when my daughter was little. I didn't know how to handle her, nor did anyone else. I just eventually determined that she really needed her birth mom. She is 17 years old now, and she's doing really well. Although she still has attachment issues... I don't believe she is a danger to society or anything.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

M
Shark
Shark
M
Yea unfortunately "normalcy" is asking a bit much of these kids - but if your daughter has over come the core of the issues your doing great! As an adult hopefully she will see how important connections are

Mindy, Adoption Editor
Adoption Site
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Stephanie, kudos to *you* for choosing for your daughter what you felt was in her best interest!

Originally Posted By: Stephanie-Divorce
Although she still has attachment issues... I don't believe she is a danger to society or anything.

Healthy relationships may not come easily to them, but most children with attachment difficulties are not a danger to society.

Originally Posted By: Mindy - Adoption Editor
Yea unfortunately "normalcy" is asking a bit much of these kids

Normal is relative. Many children who struggled with attachment in their childhood go on to live normal lives.

M
Shark
Shark
M
yes they sure do - it is however more of a struggle not something that comes as naturally as it would for others. Because of early neglect they have to relearn how to connect and thats a lifelong challenge!

Mindy, Adoption Editor
Adoption Site

Moderated by  Deanna - Adoption Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.