Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Yes I agree completely, in modern times no matter what area you're creative in you can find support and encouragement. Even fifty years ago if you loved piano music and your parents weren't into it, you were out of luck, you might never even be able to hear any. Nowadays you can go on the web, hear all sorts of inspiring music, learn techniques, etc.

I think I would consider Mozart a 10/10 in musical genius smile Yes he can always get even better but he is at that top end smile

Poor Eddie Van Halen also qualifies but I wouldn't want to go into that tortured genius route myself. I would rather be happy with 5/10 and no cocaine habit.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
Koala
Koala
E
I'm not sure about "inherited" - because I've known very creative people with families who couldn't draw a stick figure, as well as creative people with creative relatives at every turn. Some people are born with creativity without having anyone to inherit it from (unless it was great great uncle Joe whom no one speaks of laugh )

I definitely think that being around creative relatives is a huge help in developing much faster and going into far more avenues - but it is amazing what children can "teach" themselves even if there is little encouragement. But negative responses can also do a lot of damage.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
As an artist and former art teacher I think creativity is both inherited and learned. Most children are very artistic until about age 9. I'm not sure what happens then, but I used to hear the phrase:"I'm no artiste" on an almost daily basis from my middle school students. Who tells them that?
Most of the parents, as well as the school administrators thought of art as sandbox, at worst, and a way to give the "regular" teachers a planning period at best. Oh yeah, I was also responsible for decorating the bulletin boards and school plays.
Parents are much more concerned with their kids being trained to make a living than to be creative. To back up what I'm saying, where do school budget cuts go first? To art, home ec, shop, and music.
Watch kids with paint and crayons in any preschool. They're all little Cezannes! It doesn't occur to them that they aren't. Somewhere along the line they get the message that they can't draw "a straight line." Well, no one can without a ruler.
Certainly the Rembrandts of the world are genetic, but if I don't work with a photo or model in front of me my drawings are no better than anyone else's.
I have a son who is truly gifted, he can draw and paint the most beautiful things from his head, but the rest of us are all able to draw and paint and create. These are skills that can be learned and improved with practice, like anything else. Everyone who takes music lessons doesn't plan on becoming the next Beethoven, but they do learn to play the instrument. Drawing is the exact same thing.
What is sadly lacking in this world is encouragement of kids to keep drawing, painting, sculpting, sewing, weaving, or whatever their interest is.
The entrepreneurs of this world are being creative. I wish all parents and teachers and school boards would realize this and continue to encourage their artists.
All 4 of my kids draw and paint well because it never occurred to them that everyone didn't. Mom did it so why couldn't they, didn't everyone?
O well, thanks for letting me vent. This has been one of my pet peeves for a very long time.

N
N
Probably both. Talent I would say you are born with it since it is not something that you can learn if you do not have it. If you have imagination then you can create just about anything in any way you want.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.