Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I was just trying to think of "boys" in movies I had seen over the years. I came up with -

Luke Skywalker - parents tragically slain.

Eragon - parents mysteriously missing

Harry Potter - parents tragically slain.

What is going on here? Even in the Lion King they killed off the boy's father right in front of his eyes. Bambi? Mommy deer is shot by a hunter. Aladdin? Did he even have parents?

Jungle book? Raised by animals.

Is it a common theme that boys are just lost and wild and seeking for some role model out there?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Bo and Luke Duke? Where were their parents? They had an uncle.

In Dune - which you could write a whole series of articles about - the teen boy hero loses his father early on in the story. So depending on which version you follow you get

book: Mature boy turns into mature leader with very little childhood
movie 1: ditto
movie 2: super whiny childish boy turns into arrogant obnoxious leader smile

However he at least does have a mother, although she turns into a helpless follower in that movie #2 smile

Lord of the Rings - is it fair to call the four hobbits the "boys" of the story, both because they represent them with their childlike ways and also because they're short and visually connect with our idea of what boys are like? Each hobbit has a distinct personality and represents an aspect of boyhood ... but none are ever shown with parents smile Only ... an uncle! Bilbo the uncle! Aha, back to our uncle theory.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Oliver! No parents. Kingdom to Heaven - boy is raised by mom, and you never see her. Conan! Parents slain as he was a child. I think that's literally all the boy stories I see in my DVD collection around me. In Gladiator the boy was trampled by horses for dramatic storytelling. In Citizen Kane I believe the boy was dragged away from his parents at a young age, if I remember properly.

Low Carb Forum
What about Peter Pan!!
And A Knight's Tale..dead mom
Batman-Dead parents
Top gun-Dead dad
Liminy Snicket-dead parents
Spiderman-dead parents
Superman-dead parents!!!
Disturbia-dead dad
I could go on and on!!!

Bruno Bettleheim in The Uses of Enchantment talks about the role of fantasy and fairy tales in the lives of children. He felt that kids often have scary things in their imaginations, and seeing them in fairy tales (or movies, in this case) puts them out in the open for them to be able to interpret and make sense of in their own ways.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but it's a theory that might help to explain this trend, since what could be scarier for some kids than to lose a parent (or both)?

Warmly,

Marie
Sons Site Editor
BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I understand that!

Does it seem like girls rarely lose their parents in stories? Girls seem to have other issues face them. It's the boys who are expected to "be the man" and take the loss as a chance to grow and learn ...

Low Carb Forum
I think girls face losses equally: You mentioned Lemony Snicket, but one of the Baudelaires is a girl. The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy lives with an aunt and uncle; Cinderella, mom dies and she has the evil stepmother. I think that maybe girls are painted as more resilient, and have other girl friends for support. Boys are often seen as needing to "tough it out" on their own, perhaps?

Warmly,

Marie
Sons Site Editor
BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Oh I forgot about the Wizard of Oz! That's very true, she was with non-parents. And yes Cinderella is in the same situation. I forget was Anne of Green Gables with her aunt or someone?
Hmmm so are these the same or different? It seems when a girl is in that situation she's either the 1) family maid or 2) a tolerated family addition. But it seems if it's a boy that the boy is either off on his own or disliked because he's an intrusion.

Are there any stories where a girl has her parents die and she's left to fend for herself, like all the Oliver type stories? I think part of it may be that a boy on his own is considered tough and able to make ends meet - but a girl on her own would be "ripe for exploitation" and this is too scary to write about. The girl can't "work" because that would be inappropriate, and she can't live on her own. She needs the care of a protector.

Low Carb Forum
Yes, Anne was with Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert. And what about Fanny Price of Jane Austen's Mansfield Park (also portrayed as a spineless maid type).

Interesting question....

Warmly,

Marie
Sons Site Editor
BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
LOL you know I was just coming online to post about that!! I watched that last night and was thinking how it was exactly the Cinderella story. She was tolerated as the family maid. I was wondering how the story would be written if she was a boy ... a boy wouldn't really be portrayed as meek and mild like that, he would have been the hellion that they had to beat daily smile

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Laura - Sons 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/11/24 04:36 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.