Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Can you get everything you need from the food you eat or are nutritional health supplements necessary to look and feel your best. Learn the facts here. Do You Need Nutritional Suppplements?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
Great article! Your health tips are very important ones, as well.

I've been taking supplements for about 30 years but I do my research and the supplements I take change according to the needs I have at that time.

I also take a day off the supplements once a week to make sure my body clears out any extra that's building up. It seems to work. I'm very rarely sick and have no illnesses or diseases.

M
M
I totally agree that it is impossible to get our RDA or ODA of Vitamin E from food. But peanuts and brown rice are not good sources of Vitamin E in amy case.
According the the USDA National Nutrient Data base at www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/index.html there is very little Vitamin E in brown rice. There is some Vitamin E in peanuts but almonds and sunflower seeds have about 4 times the Vitamin E of peanuts. Another good source is Sunflower Oil which has 8iu of Vitamin E per tbsp. So 4 tbsp of Sunflower Oil would provide the RDA of 30iu and 3 cups of Sunflower Oil would provide the ODA of 400iu.

Mike Smith

Mike Smith
F
F
Great article! Totally agree. The importance of enzymes for proper absorption of foods we eat, must also be considered. In the absence or deficiency of enzymes...no matter how balance our diet, the absorption and conversion of food items into essential nutrients, can result to imbalance.

Despite the billions of money spent on diet modulation,weight reducing pills, exercise, state of the art fitness equipments...most people still struggle not only with their weight but staying healthy.

If we look at the fundamentals, we might uncover some details that could answer the global crisis of obesity and other prevalent diseases.

I'd like to share an interesting read that could perhaps add some valuable information.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
I also think that it is not possible to get all nutritions only by taking food.I m thinking to consult a doctor regarding this.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Watching DR.OZ on discovery health channel, where he is saying so many of us have a vitamin D deficiency. were at risk for abnormal bone growth ans repair, osteomalacia in adults. if you don't get enough sunshine talk to your doctor about taking a vitamin D supplement. DR, OZ recommended 1,000 I.U a day.

Rosie L
J
Koala
Koala
J
most doctors don't give very good advice on supplements - Just IMO. They deal with treating symptoms, not prevention. If you look at what the medical community thinks is the "minimum daily requirement" of vitamins, it doesn't include much.

I am reading You Staying Young by Dr Oz and would highly recommend that book! He lists many "must take" supplements.

Andrew Weil also recommends at least 1000 mg of Vitamin D. Studies have shown it is also important in cancer prevention and many other things. Ironically, sunscreen has led to vitamin D deficiency as we don't get it through the sun as much anymore.

C
C
I am going to jump on the other side of the fence here. I have read in recent studies that there are many supplements that can actually be bad fo you. When supplementing you have to be very careful. The FDA does not strictly monitor supplements because they are considered food. For most supplements (except vitamins and minerals) there is no set daily value. Also some vitamins are not in their correct molecular form. Therefore they are not soluble. When you take a load of vitamins and minerals that aren't soluble then in puts strain on the liver. Also when the molecular form does not resemble the natural form, in some cases the nutrient only performs half of the job on the cell and then blocks the real nutrient when it comes in to do its job. I could go on and on about the safety of supplements.

Basically if you eat a bad diet, if you have decreased absorbability due to age or medication then you should supplement. But be very careful and only take the soluble forms. If a vitamin between 5,000 and 33,333 or have no daily value established then don't take it. Also do not supplement any chemical that is synthesized soley by our body and can not be found in food. You would most likely be off setting chemical receptors in your brain.

Last edited by corrie; 04/08/08 10:58 PM.
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
I think, like anything else, you should do your research and get recommendations from reliable sources. If you get your info from a vitamin catalog, you'll be convinced you need every supplement in there-lol.

H
H
Nutritional supplements can come in all different shapes and sizes - many different nutritional supplements can make a huge difference in your life. Nutritional supplements are exactly what they imply; they are the vitamins and minerals and other nutrients that your body needs to be healthy. Here are a few of the nutritional supplements available as well as what they are used for.
Calcium and vitamin D are very important in the development of children, because these supplements help to promote the development of healthy and strong bones. Many different foods contain calcium and vitamin D, but just eating these foods is sometimes not enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Moss - Nutrition Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.