Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#344121 09/26/07 04:54 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I tried searching the forums and the body art site, bubt didn't see this anywhere - my apologies if I've missed it.

Is there any way to know an "average" price of tattoos. I've been saying for over a year I want one (got my design drawn and everything). I was just waiting until my weight loss had stabilized - so I know I'm not going to sag or stretch too much.

But, how much do these things cost? We're on a tight budget right now, so I'm probably going to have to save. I know I can't get an exact quote, but wondering what some other's had cost.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
it just depends. if you know the artist they might not charge you the "average", if you are a newbie, they might charge you more. regulars they tend not to charge a lot.

Size, color, location, intricacy, time it takes, and geographic area play into them.

I have one that is about 2.5"x2" and it is only in two colors.. a triangle and an equal sign, and that one cost me 40 bucks. My dragon which is two tone red and black, intricate and is about 11"X 5" cost me (because I knew the artist and had other work done) only 350. Normally it would cost near 700. Mine have all ranged from 40-500. Total value of all twelve of my tats... about 1000 so far and still going.

hope that helps some. You can always shop around for a quote first then save. That is the simplest way to do it.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Ugh - I'm an ink "virgin" - guess that means I'll get raked.

Here's a rough draft of the design I drew out.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Elephant
Elephant
a phoenix carrying a lantern???

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Yep! Both are aspects of my fighting depression.

Phoenix is pretty obvious - get torn down, start back over. But the lantern is a symbol of hope - which was the thing that was lacking the most when my depression was at its worst.

I have an angel carving called "Hope" and she carries a lantern - that's what geve me the idea.

That's why I want this tattoo - it's very personal. Not just going to get a rose inked on my ankle.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Elephant
Elephant
Very good significance. I want to do a phoenix as well to symbolize my rebirth from my problems as a child and a young adult. Conquering my Bi Polar, my OCD, suviving my lovers death, my parents, and my best friends.

They are quite powerful symbols.

Elephant
Elephant
Originally Posted By: BellaHarmony
Is there any way to know an "average" price of tattoos. ....But, how much do these things cost?

There's no article on that because every single tattoo artist is a freelance artist who sets their own pricing.

I've got work on me that cost $40-$50 and I've got work that was $300-$400. Tattooists sometimes set a minimum to cover the equipment and set-up. Smaller tattoos are often priced by the piece and larger work that covers multiple session is most often priced by the hour. However there is no standard for what those rates are.

The only way to get any sort of accurate estimate is to go get a consultation from the artist you are thinking of having do your tattoo. They will let you know their pricing and variations.

Shark
Shark
From what I have been told, and I have a friend who owns a shop, is that no matter what the size is, it should never cost less than 40 dollars. His reasoning was this: to have clean needles (or new if they are disposable), fresh ink, etc. it costs about 40 dollars. So if they are charging less than that, they are either losing money ( i don't imagine most businesses are willing to do that) or they are not keeping their stuff clean.

Skeeter

S
S
Yea I have heard the 40 dollar rule before too. The best best is to shop around at a couple of different places. For my piercings when I had them done afew years back, I checked with everyone in the state I knew that had any work done there, checked all their prices, asked my friends every question I could think of. I think you should do the same, just with people with tatt's. Also, if you can (I know some will, some wont) during a consult, ask for references. smile

Meet like minded people sharing their success stories
and tips to help you lose the weight you want and get
the body you've always dreamed of. Just visit:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Hi Michelle,

I'm new here, too ... and I was an ink virgin until this summer.

I love your design and the significance of it. Very powerful!! smile

I got a small tat in the middle of my back ... also a symbol of my struggle with my depression. It's about 3" x 3" and it cost me $80. It was my design so I just brought it in to the artist I chose and he made a stencil of it. Now, I thought I had done my homework on the artist, but apparently not good enough. I had a lot of scabbing on part of it even following his aftercare suggestions to the letter. I ended up going to my husband's tattoo artist for a touch-up and paid another $40 for her to fix it. I could have gone back to the original artist for a free touch-up ... but I just didn't trust it. The second healing was totally problem-free. smile

My DH had a large tribal armband done around the same time by a different artist. He also was an "ink virgin." She drew up his design, so for the artwork and the tat it was $400 (that was for the consultation/placement discussion, the artwork, the tattoo itself and a touch-up 6 weeks later). He spent about 4 hours in her chair the first time and about an hour for the touch-up. Her minimum was $50. She's an "in-demand" artist and the wait for her work was about 2 months!!

Congrats on the weight-loss, too! That is a feat in-and-of-itself!

Take Care,
Dana

Bright Blessings,
Dana

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.