logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LittleZ Offline OP
OP Offline
My little guy and I have been co-sleeping since he was born. He is 18 months now and seems more attached than ever. He still wakes up at night when I am not in the room asking for momma. Is there a natural point when he will want to go sleep alone or have I just set myself up for a difficult transition later on. I will let him sleeep with me until he is 3 or so, but I figure by then he should be sleeping in his big boy bed.

Any suggestion on when should I start to transition him? Any advice on how to make this easier? I'm single and so far not dating, but when I do it would be nice to have my own bed.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Thats an awesome question and I am interested to see what they say.
When my daughter was a baby, I was a single parent. She slept in the bed with me for the first month or so, then I moved her to a basinet beside the bed, once she outgrew that I put her in her crib. Even once she slept in her crib, I made sure we took naps together. She didn't seem bothered at all by not sleeping in the same room with me. Prior to me putting her in her own crib in her room, I had let her take naps in there so it wasn't a strange place to her.

Now she is 10 years old and for a couple years has enjoyed coming and sleeping with me, usually on the weekends. I think this started back in 2004 when we had the hurricanes come through. Of course when it was storming, I had her and the animals in my room for safety reasons. We had a hurricane party to cover up the fact I needed to know where everyone was just in case we had to seek shelter in the laundry room.

When she sleeps in her own room, she does just fine. I am a night person and often sit up and watch TV, most nights she doesn't even get up to go to the bathroom.

Some have said I shouldn't allow her to sleep with me but I don't think its a sign of a negative dependence because of how well she does in her own bed when she sleeps in there. We have fun, watch a little TV in bed, invite the cats in with us, have a snack...all the things your probably NOT supposed to do in bed but its a bonding experience for us. I hope she feels free to come and get in bed with me whenever she wants.

My own Mother and I are not very close but I often would go and lay down in bed beside her of an evening or if she had laid down to take a nap in the afternoon, even as recently as 2005 when I was there last, I was 38 at the time. I was the same way with my Grandmother while she was alive, I always enjoyed sleeping with her whenever I could.

S
S
I tried to not cosleep with my first, my sons father decided that would not be the case. I worked nights, he worked days, so it was easier for him. I didn't know this until over a year later when he still wanted to sleep in the same bed.

With my girl I stopped after the first month, she has been in her crib since she was 31 days old, and sleeping through the night (10/hrs) since she was 5 weeks.

I can see a huge difference between the two, and I think this worked out good for me.

Meet like minded people sharing their success stories
and tips to help you lose the weight you want and get
the body you've always dreamed of. Just visit:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Gecko
Gecko
I saw that our first got more and more dependent on co-sleeping the older she got. It's been my experience that the older they are the harder it is for them to make the change. You would not believe what we went through trying to transition the oldest. The difficulty may have been because of the reason for tranisition: another baby.

It was rough going for awhile, but I wouldn't do anything different. Co-sleeping worked for the best in our situation, transitional problems or no. That being said, baby (younger than yours) has already indicated a preference for her own space her own baby bed at naptime.

S
S
I am still cosleeping with my two year old and I intend to go on doing so until she decides she does not want to as we are very pushed for room. Even then she will need to have a bed in my room unless we move.

Everyone that I speak to tells me that they do eventually decide that they want their own space. They no longer want to live your life so closely and want some privacy.

But it sounds like that time might be a little too far distant for you, so perhaps it's time to explore other options.

Meet like minded people sharing their success stories
and tips to help you lose the weight you want and get
the body you've always dreamed of. Just visit:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: Satin&Lace
I am still cosleeping with my two year old and I intend to go on doing so until she decides she does not want to as we are very pushed for room.

That's the approach we're taking. Amelia is two and a half, and we're thoroughly enjoying having her sleep with us. She gets a lot out of it, and so do we!

When she's ready, she'll choose to sleep alone. She already has times when she wants to be on the bed with us out of the room, so we might be the ones to move out of her bed!

LittleZ Offline OP
OP Offline
My son and I are still co-sleeping and I love it. It is a time for us to bond after being seperated all day. He always wakes me up in the morning, and let me tell you there is nothing like being woken up by your little guy saying "Mommy, I love you".:)

My ex though believes otherwise. He decided last night that he was going to sleep in his crib for the first time. He told me he cried for 20 minutes and it was heart wrenching, but eventually he went to sleep. He wants to transition him to a crib, but I am not ready. From what I have read he should eventually want to sleep in his own bed to establish his independence and identity...which should happen around 3 years of age. I feel bad that my little guy is going thru this just to come back after the weekend and sleep with me. He got so upset that he threw-up. frown

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
My first slept with us until he was about three (at the time my daughter was one). We had a twin bed shoved up against our king-sized bed. He just decided he wanted to go into his own room. And at night when I'd tuck him in, I would want to snuggle a little. He'd say "okay mom, you can go." LOL. My daugther also chose to sleep with us until she was about three. Then she was excited to sleep in the room with her brother. They were (and are) always welcome to climb in bed with us if they needed.

I think every family is different... we just need to follow our hearts wink

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

LittleZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay everyone I finally decided that for me it was time to get him in his own crib. Last night we attempted it. We didn't go through our sleep routine though and after laying beside his crib for an hour and a half with him listening to my every move...I gave up.

Today we talked about how big boys sleep in their own rooms and how he was a big boy. We read books like usual, and then went and brushed out teeth and then I told him it was time to go to sleep. He cried a little when he realized he was going to be sleeping in his bed.

I put him in his bed, he didn't cry but laid down and asked me for my hand. I laid beside the crib and put my hand thru the slats of the bed so he could feel my arm. I think within a half hour he was asleep, not sure really because I fell asleep too smile

I hope he sleeps through the night but if not that is okay, I expect it.

Now I just have to work my way from the floor to the door and out smile

Last edited by LittleZ; 03/16/08 11:21 PM.
B
B
Hi! I was interested to read this discussion about co-sleeping, as I'm doing child development research on children's sleeping arrangements through a university study. As a parent you may be interested in being part of this study. It wouldn�t take much of your time, and it�s a great way to contribute to knowledge by reporting on your own experiences. For more details go to the following address after copying it into your browser window www.babysleepstudy.org or www.milestonesresearch.org and click on �Baby Sleep.�
Best wishes, Rebecca

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
It has been years, for me, since my children were little and they have already gone through that stage of co-sleeping problems with their own children. When mine were little, I would stay in their room with them if they woke up and were frightened or just wanted me there. It took about a year for them to realize that I would jump out of bed and run to them if they were frightened or lonely. They eventually knew they could trust me to be there when they needed me. It was hard on me and I was often tired, but, I took naps when they did during the day. It was worth it to help them to learn that their own bed was best for them and that I needed my own bed, too. At times, they would wake up early in the morning and crawl in bed with me and we would just snuggle and chat then I would run to the kitchen and get us a box of cereal to snack on. This gave us a quiet, quality time together before the busy days started. That worked for me and my children.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
My girls always move into another room when they are no longer nursing. I read my toddlers & preschoolers bedtime stories in their bedrooms, and they usually fall asleep there. I have a 2, 5 and 7 yr old that share a Queen size bed. When she started to walk, I'd leave her there after falling asleep with stories. After a while, she just stopped coming into my room at night.

My older girls stopped co-sleeping the same way. I'd put them to bed in their room and whenever they woke up they'd come into mine. After a while, they just stop waking up in the night.

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
My kids like to get little foot massages before they go to bed. I use an essential oil blend called "Peace and Calming" that they really like and it tends to help them relax before going to bed. We usually transition them into their own room when they are sleeping (mostly) through the night.

Angela <><

Angela England
L
L
&quot;My son and I are still co-sleeping and I love it. It is a time for us to bond after being seperated all day. He always wakes me up in the morning, and let me tell you there is nothing like being woken up by your little guy saying &quot;Mommy, I love you&quot;.:)&quot; Same with my son here. He is the one who waking me up every morning, kissing and hugging me makes my day complete.

L
L
[quote=lizayuen]&quot;My son and I are still co-sleeping and I love it. It is a time for us to bond after being seperated all day. He always wakes me up in the morning, and let me tell you there is nothing like being woken up by your little guy saying &quot;Mommy, I love you&quot;.:)&quot; Same with my son here. He is the one who waking me up every morning, kissing and hugging me makes my day complete. [/quote] -------------- [url=http://thebabysleepsolutiondownload.info/infant_sleep_training.aspx]infant sleep training[/url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.