Page 1 of 2 1 2
#349145 10/22/07 04:38 PM
D
DLEE67 Offline OP
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
D
Has anyone else heard of this new intrauterine b/c device called Mirena? I heard that to be a candidate for it, you have to already have a kid. Just another way to encourage people to breed? It lasts for five years, unless you have it removed sooner. Why would you have to be a breeder already? Doesn't make sense to me.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
DLEE67 #349146 10/22/07 04:43 PM
P
Gecko
Gecko
P
Mirena has been around for a long time. I was offered it about six years ago, it was pretty new then.

Basically it's a combined contraceptive that gets implanted, so you don't have to remember to take a pill. It "dissolves" at a measured rate and as you said, needs replacing at about five years.

I haven't used it, but there are a number of people on CF Hardcore that have it and really like it. The only drawback is that it's still a combined contraceptive, so if you're like me and can't handle the combined pill, it won't be much use to you.

Childfree? Join us at www.thechildfreelife.com.
Pikasam #349148 10/22/07 04:47 PM
D
DLEE67 Offline OP
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
D
Wow, didn't realize it had been around that long. I just recently heard about it. Still, what bugged me, was that they said you have to have a kid already. Maybe it's just me, but I think people, or at least MOST people, should be discouraged from breeding. They are not very good at it. Most of the kids I've seen lately would be better off being raised by packs of wolves, than the so-called parents.

DLEE67 #349149 10/22/07 04:57 PM
A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
Actually- I have one and even though it is recommended that you have a kid (hurts less when they put it in) its not a requirement. It was a painful procedure, but the benefits are well worth it! My doctor didn't seem to have a problem with it, but that of course will vary depending on the doctor. I have had it for about 2 years and its great...no side effects for me and I like not having to take a pill every day.

My doctor did bring up an issue that some religions have with it. Apparently they consider it a form of abortion since it prevents a fertilized egg from implantation. Ridiculous- and so not an issue for me! Anyway- I like it...but since I am looking at being single again, I may have to change the method I use.

DLEE67 #349150 10/22/07 05:00 PM
P
Gecko
Gecko
P
I think the issue with IUD's in general is that there is a small risk of infection, or a puncture to the uterine wall that might cause scarring and issues with later pregnancy. As such there might be some docs that won't recommend IUD's as BC. But it's certainly not a blanket ban - it's up to the individual doctor. If you read the CF boards for long enough, you'll see that there's a lot of docs who think they have the right to make your BC decisions for you...

So if you want it, find another doc.

Pikasam #349215 10/22/07 11:25 PM
R
R
Since we are on the topic of BC, I hope no one minds my posting a very specific question about the pill. There is so much useless info on the web about different pills, I'm hoping this might be a good place for reliable info / experiences. I have been on Loestrin 1.5/30 and Yazmin at different times. Both caused horrible acne. Dr. said try Zovia/Demulen. From what I can tell, reading the components, despite all the pills out there, they all seem kind of the same. Any info or advice/ stories would help.
I miss being on the pill, for many obvious reasons, plus when i am off it, PMS is terrible. On it, the acne was just too horrible. It took years until I finally realized what was causing it, since the pill is supposed to help acne. What have people's expereinces with Zovia/ Demulen been? Thanks!

rabbitt #349221 10/22/07 11:55 PM
Koala
Koala
I had the IUD and I liked it but I have never had kids and after a year my body rejected it and it was half in half out of my cervics and i bleed for 3 days before i knew what was wrong!
I have a bad time with the pill anyof them so....

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
I used to take Nordette, it was a low dosage and never made me sick. Its available in generic because its been around for so long, its also available in the mini pill and the 28 day cycle, I used the 28 day cycle for many years with no problems.

BUT every one is different, what was fine for me might not be the same for everyone else. I was told though that if you have bad side effects to BC pills, you need to try the lower dosage ones, the less hormones the better.

P
Gecko
Gecko
P
Rabbitt, have you tried the mini pill at all? Something with only a single hormone might be better than a combined one. Might be worth looking into.

Pikasam #349319 10/23/07 12:11 PM
R
Amoeba
Amoeba
R
I am a staunch supporter of the Depo injection. I haven't had a period in...years and years. I think I would get my tubes tied if it ensured I wouldn't have a period, but I know one doesn't have anything to do with the other, unfortunately!

My hubby and I use condoms also(a big scare is scary!), so the Depo is more or less just for me to not have a period!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.