M
Manjari Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
M
Holly has talked about robbins saying that we get motivated by either-
Going away from pain or pleasure?

I get motivated by going away from pain. Pleasure is OK for me but running away from pain makes me do many things. How about others?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Shark
Shark
A
That is a hard one for me to answer. Physical pain cripples me and keeps me down, both physically and emotionally.

Emotional and mental pain does motivate me in the sense that it pushes me to overcome it.

Pleasure is something I try to hold on to - but it is impermanent.

I have always experienced more pain than pleasure in my life, so I guess I'd have to say that pain has been the major 'moving' force in my life. The constant desire to escape from the pain; to overcome it and to 'get out of the torture chamber' so to speak.

The continual 'getting up again' and striving on.

Also, I wonder if we can appreciate pleasure if we don't know pain?

Kerryanne.

H
Koala
Koala
H
Pleasure is impermantent in the sense it is not static... it is moving and must be renewed.

Pain sometimes seems permanent... but i wonder if it is not impermanent as well... i'm not speaking of physical pain but mental and emotional. I wonder if we might be renewing it. It is sort of a radical idea, but not without some reasoning. Dr. Burns, the author of Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy is a cognitive psychologist. He has done much research on the subject of depression along with other psychologists, psychiatrists and doctors. He hypothesized (sorry... i've noticed my spelling lately has deteriorated... not sure why)... he hypothesized that the habit of certain thoughts which he calls "cognitive distortions" will lead to and maintain depression. He defined ten distortions... including things like "all or nothing thinking" and "fortune telling" and "mind reading" and "catastrophizing." He and others of his research team set up clinical studies where they trained a group to practice changing these habitual thoughts away from distortions. The results were quite dramatic and outperformed drugs for depression. I highly recommend his books... you will learn a lot, as i did. I know that psychologists often recommend Feeling Good to their patients, too (as happened to a friend of mine), so it is a book well respected by professionals. There are many copies in print, so you will probably find it at your library, but try to seek a recent edition, because as research has continued they have updated the book.

H
Koala
Koala
H
...sorry... forgot the link:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

H
Koala
Koala
H
Originally Posted By: Manjari

I get motivated by going away from pain. Pleasure is OK for me but running away from pain makes me do many things. How about others?

To some degree i get motivated by both, however i am much better motivated by experiencing pleasure. I will move towards pleasure like a plant will bend towards light. If i have pleasure, i will want more. But if i am not currently experiencing it... sometimes it seems remote and i might doubt i can attain it.

Most people will move away from pain, but i will not always move away from a painful state... sometimes i will just shut down and get stuck in it, so for me, pain is like glue or molassas. It can hinder me, rather than motivate me.

A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
I get motivated by people who believe in me, and tell me that I have all that it takes to be successful in life. So I guess I'm motivated by pleasure, and by being encouraged.

Pain only depresses me I'm afraid.

AF.

P
Shark
Shark
P
Originally Posted By: hollyelise

To some degree i get motivated by both, however i am much better motivated by experiencing pleasure. I will move towards pleasure like a plant will bend towards light. If i have pleasure, i will want more. But if i am not currently experiencing it... sometimes it seems remote and i might doubt i can attain it.

Most people will move away from pain, but i will not always move away from a painful state... sometimes i will just shut down and get stuck in it, so for me, pain is like glue or molassas. It can hinder me, rather than motivate me.

I think we are confusing now.

You said that you are a carrot donkey. So now rather than going back to that , let us find out how this helps you. Have you begun visualizing in terms of pleasure?

P
Shark
Shark
P
Originally Posted By: affettuoso
I get motivated by people who believe in me, and tell me that I have all that it takes to be successful in life. So I guess I'm motivated by pleasure, and by being encouraged.

Pain only depresses me I'm afraid.

AF.

If you are looking for earning money, what would motivate you?
The pleasure that comes with more money or the pain you will face with less money?

H
Koala
Koala
H
Originally Posted By: pratibha77
Originally Posted By: hollyelise

I think we are confusing now.

You said that you are a carrot donkey. So now rather than going back to that , let us find out how this helps you. Have you begun visualizing in terms of pleasure?

I have, and will continue. But it is not quite simple, for visualizing positively and feeling hope these days can often trigger in me a lot of insecurity and the return of memories of loss and pain. I hope this kind of reaction will wear off the more i practice visualization and hope, but at present i am proceding carefully. A couple of weeks ago i hit a rough spot, and it was because of reacting to having more hope. When i hope i fear i might encounter the same kind of loss i had the last time i had much to hope for. This is what i was trying to explain.

i will continue with visualization... but hoping for a carrot does not mean i will have a carrot. Tasting a little carrot, works even better. laugh

So how this knowledge helps me... I am working on improving my enjoyment of the activities that will help me to be more successful. This isn't so much visualization as a matter of shifting my focus and attitudes and enjoying what i need to do, and doing more of what i enjoy. The stick... in being healthy, for instance... might be looking in a mirror and feeling unattractive and criticizing myself. This doesn't work well to motivate me, it just dispirits me. The carrot... would be trying to improve my enjoyment of the actual exercise... perhaps by adding music or just thinking how it makes my body feel good and stronger... and perhaps buying a new outfit when i have reached a goal of say, exercising for a month.

I have also learned to be more careful to limit my exposure to people who use sticks more often than carrots. This has helped. laugh

What about you, Pratibha? AF? Everyone? How can you work more carrots into your life and fewer sticks?

Last edited by hollyelise; 07/27/07 09:42 PM.
A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
I would be in trouble without motivation to earn!

I'm fortunate in that I don't have a problem in that area. I have a well paid job, though I wouldn't mind a change!

I need more motivation on a personal level.

AF.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.