Print Thread
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Read this article and post your opinion please.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
I don't mind if Bible classes are taught in the public school system as long as they are elective classes.

I, myself, have studied divinity at a private college, and at my public university I am a religion/philosophy minor. I am NOT christian, but a Reform Jew, but I also hold more spiritual and mystic views as well. I have found that in the public school sector, my religion classes are much more challanging and fulfilling. They tend to think outside of the box and don't force feed you their views and not let you think about the process and meaning yourself.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I don't think that the Bible should be taught as an exclusive class. Recently a Unitarian Universalist friend of mine who is a teacher asked me to come and do a talk on modern Witchcraft. The reason for the visit was that her classes were reading "The Crucible."

Before I was allowed to address the class I was interviewed by the school's Principle. He told me outright that this was not an opportunity for me to try and convert any of the children. I agreed that this was not my intention. So, I gave my talk from an earth based perspective without bringing in the religious aspects. However, when several of the students asked me if I believed in God, I gave an honest and straightforward answer.
The kids had also been asked to bring in signed permission slips from their parents which explained the content of the class. There were no parental objections.

We all had a wonderful time, and the kids left with a whole lot of misconceptions about modern day Paganism banished from their minds.

I was also asked to go to my daughter's school years ago and do Native American Medicine Card readings. Again, the kids enjoyed it immensely.

I think if in the process of learning an opportunity comes up for a speaker to come into the classroom and share their beliefs, it can be an amazing experience! And, in that light I can see "teaching" the Bible,the Koran, Buddhist belief, etc.

I can even see classes on religious theology being offered as interfaith elective classes in High Schools which run the whole gambit of religions. But, I still feel that focusing primarily on one religion negates the equality of the others. Other religions also have their roots in amazing texts and stories. I think that young minds should be given the chance to compare the different structures and concepts without being given a one sided view of religion.

I am a Unitarian Universalist, so our religious education classes are run that way. We teach all faiths, all ideas, all concepts etc.

However, I can also see the downfall in a specific class, even if is taught on an interfaith level. No matter how careful the teachers may be, their own private convictions about their faith will enter into the discussions and the classes could wind up being very confusing to those who are very committed to a certain faith. If you are teaching Paganism one week and Christianity the next, their are definately many discrepancies between the two belief systems. Of course, U.U. kids would be right at home..lol.

So, I still have to hold to my opinion that religion is better off taught in churches and not in schools, unless those schools are theologically based.

Love and Light..

Linda Paul
Tarot
T
Shark
Shark
T
I support Biblical classes in schools. God Himself through His own Word can convert children from the reading of scripture. Whether someone is there to push it or not. God's Word never comes back void.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Than you would of course support classes based on every other religion as well Dave?

Linda Paul
Tarot
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Personally, I don't care if they teach something about all religions. That way the kids can use their "free will" to pick something they would like to ascribe to. That, mixed with talking to their parents about what they have learned, they will be better informed about their choices.

I just don't appreciate my kids learning about the Muslim religion and Kwaanza without being able to learn about Christianity.

If they don't do anything about the above matters then at the very least Creationism should be taught with evolutionism.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor

Moderated by  Debbie-SpiritualityEditor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.