Page 1 of 2 1 2
#29944 08/29/04 07:19 PM
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
Here is Kia. She is approximately 11 years old and has just come to live in my zoo.

[imageBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Mavis
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#29945 09/01/04 03:31 PM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
oh she is sooooo cute congratulations.

#29946 09/02/04 10:01 AM
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
Thanks - I'm really enjoying my new girl. :rolling:

Mavis
#29947 09/05/04 02:47 AM
Amoeba
Amoeba
WOW, Mavis! What a BEAUTIFUL girl! She is gorgeous and seems to take to the camera like a hollywood star! I bet she is full of personality! I am very happy for you! I have definitely had babies on the brain, and for a macaw, 11 yrs old is still quite young. Did you seek her out, cross paths, or did she seek you out?

My chicks are doing well - quite insistant when hungry and the society moms are happily feeding away and perching alongside the kids - we now have synchronized feather-preening (even when one chick would rather nap!), water-play and subsequent tail and wing shaking, and naps with heads under wings (just tooooo cute). The chicks are starting to go to the bottom of the cage and pick at the seeds, though I am not sure they have tried to ingest any yet. They are drinking water on their own, though! They even have a curfew that is about an hour before the lights go out. Now I am getting curious how long they will be sticking with the fledgling status. The chicks have identical coloring - which currently appears to be female and mostly baby fluff feathers. Their beaks are still black (adults have pinkish-purple beaks). Just one fun day after another, though. One thing I really have noticed is how their tails are not only longer, but wider! They spread their tail feathers in flight! So everything seems to be growing where needed. *LOL*

Living a Life Less Travelled,

Shannon McCullough, LMSW, USEF, AHA
EquiJourneys Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy
Email: skgserenity@aol.com
Webpage For My Cordon Bleu Breeding Program: www.equijourneys.com/FINCHES.html
#29948 09/05/04 07:04 AM
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
Thanks Shannon. Kias has been through a few homes in her lifetime. As far as I know, she started off at a local aviary and was a breeder until a couple of years ago when they folded due to the death of one of the partners. She was sold into a pet home, but after a year the new owner started trying to sell her. No one was interested because he was asking too much and recently he just gave her to a pet store. The pet store didn't want her because she has a medical problem "prolapsed cloaca" and they gave her to a friend of mine. My friend sent her over to her brother's place because he has a macaw, but his macaw was jealous, so he sent her back to my friend. She has her granddaughter staying with her & the baby was frightened every time Kia made a macaw noise, so I said that I would take her & give her a home. I changed her name to Kia to let her know that she is starting a new life.

Wonderful news on your finches Shannon. I can just imagine how exciting this is for you to watch them grow & develop each day.

Mavis
#29949 09/05/04 09:35 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
Well - Kia is VERY fortunate to be found by you! I have seen so many neglected parrots - so intelligent and needing interaction and time out of the cage daily, yet being left in cages - often crowded with nothing to occupy the brain and beak. I am not set up for anything other than finches, but I always keep spare space for rescue and temporary rehab until I can get a bird to a good home (I know quite a few) that will either keep it or adopt it out to an educated and pre-approved family.

Living a Life Less Travelled,

Shannon McCullough, LMSW, USEF, AHA
EquiJourneys Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy
Email: skgserenity@aol.com
Webpage For My Cordon Bleu Breeding Program: www.equijourneys.com/FINCHES.html
#29950 09/09/04 04:39 PM
Congratulations Mavis and welcome Kia!

She sure is beautiful .... I hope you'll bring her to a meeting sometime. How is she with groups of people? And how is Jewel liking this new addition?

Leah

#29951 09/09/04 11:04 PM
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
Thanks Leah. I probably won't bring her to a meeting, since I often go there straight from work, but I'll be taking her to displays. I'll leave her at home this weekend, but by Oak Hammock, I'm sure she'll be ready. Actually, she was at the Steinbach display with Jim, and she did fine, but since she's new to me & we're getting used to each other, I'm going to hold off taking her out right away.

I thought Jewel might be a little freaked out, but she's doing ok with Kia. Of course they haven't come beak to beak.

Mavis
#29952 10/24/04 08:32 PM
Hi Mavis,

Your new addition is lovely. I am looking forward to seeing her.
Jewel must be wondering what is going on here lol
What does your daughter think?

Take Care
Dawn

#29953 10/24/04 11:47 PM
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
Jewel is actually quite happy with her new cagemate (seperated by plexiglass). I thought having a bird this large right beside her might bother her, but she doesn't seem upset at all.

Mavis
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.