Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#296832 03/05/07 10:08 AM
babak Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Americans believe in religion -- but know little about it.

Reviewed by Susan Jacoby
Sunday, March 4, 2007; Page BW03

can see article here
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
babak #296837 03/05/07 10:18 AM
Zebra
Zebra
Now this bit is intersting....

"It is less surprising but more dangerous, given America's role in the world, that the public knows even less about Islam, Buddhism, Confucianism and Hinduism than it does about Christianity and Judaism. As Prothero notes, President Bush repeatedly declared that "Islam is peace" in the months after 9/11, while the prophet Muhammad was called a "terrorist" by the Rev. Jerry Falwell. "Who was right?" Prothero asks. "Unfortunately, Americans had no way to judge." "

I rest my case.....

babak #296838 03/05/07 10:22 AM
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Americans should not believe in religions...they should believe in God and that the Bible is the Word of God and that Jesus was sent here to save us from our sins.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Alexandra #296840 03/05/07 10:27 AM
Zebra
Zebra
"The weakest part of this otherwise excellent book is Prothero's proposed remedy: high school and college courses dealing with the historical and cultural role of religion. As the author rightly notes, teaching about religion -- as distinct from preaching religion -- is not prohibited by the First Amendment's ban on "an establishment of religion." But given the failure of so many schools to inculcate the most elementary facts about American history, it is hard to imagine that most teachers would be up to the task of explaining, say, the subtleties of biblical arguments for and against slavery. Furthermore, a curriculum that would meet with the approval of Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Protestant and nonreligious parents would probably be a worthless set of platitudes."

The bold section is highlighted by me, because In the UK, Denominational schools are obliged, as part of their Religious instruction, to include teachings about other religions, faiths and disciplines. And it works very well.
In the Roman Catholic School where I was governor for four years, All faiths and religions were not onlytaught, but there was a 'quiet Room' set aside for children to go in and pray, think. or just have a quiet time of inward contemplation. Books from all the different religions were available for children to read, and all of them were well thumbed and studied.
Result?
Although the children attended a Catholic School and were taught and raised primarily as Catholics, they had a diversity of knowledge and information at their fingertips, thus giving them a global and comprehensive window onto other faiths, creeds and cultures. They grew into 'well rounded' people. Some of the conversations I had with them were so illuminating, well-informed and tolerant, that they would put most adults to shame.

Last edited by Alexandra; 03/05/07 10:27 AM.
Alexandra #296848 03/05/07 10:50 AM
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Now I understand why you are in disbelief about God, Alexandra. You were a Catholic. That explains a lot.

I am sorry you were brought up that way. I, too, was a Catholic and went to a Catholic school when I was a young boy.

Thank God I was able to overcome that and become a strong Christian.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
babak Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Originally Posted By: /
President Bush repeatedly declared that "Islam is peace" in the months after 9/11, while the prophet Muhammad was called a "terrorist" by the Rev. Jerry Falwell. "Who was right?"

Good points indeed. I guess Bush recently realize that Islam has two main branches Shiite and Sunni, and they have some differences! And I won't wonder if he hasn't enough knowledge about Christianity either!

I try to answer you question by two verse of Koran.
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

babak #297115 03/06/07 04:34 AM
Zebra
Zebra
..."You say potayto, and I say potarto, you say tomayto and I say tomarto..."

..........Let's call the whole thing off!"

Wolf
Wolf
Originally Posted By: amadeus1220
Now I understand why you are in disbelief about God, Alexandra. You were a Catholic. That explains a lot.

I am sorry you were brought up that way. I, too, was a Catholic and went to a Catholic school when I was a young boy.

Thank God I was able to overcome that and become a strong Christian.

Are you not a Catholic now?

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.