logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
So, I'm definitely new to BellaOnline, but I am not new to forums. I'm looking for advice about a tattoo, the placement specifically. And I felt like this site would be a better choice to ask this question over the board I post on regularly.

So, my question is about a tattoo I want to do, to remember a really close friend of mine. She died in a car accident October 2005. In all seriousness, from the amount of time we were friends to the general closeness, she was my sister. (Especially since I don't have any blood sisters.)

I have a basic sketch and idea, and I want to take the idea to a few different reputable artists in my area and get some refined drawings. My friend, Alix, had always been angel and cherub-'obsessed', and I consider her my angel now. I have a drawing a mutual friend did the night before her funeral, and as soon as I saw it, I knew that I wanted to get that tattooed on.

But my major concern/lack of ideas is where I want the tattoo placed. I definitely want it to be something that is coverable, but I sort of want it to have some meaning, or relevance? I'm not sure...And I'm also, as this website calls it, "Large & Lovely". So I am basically looking for locations that would not stretch TOO drastically with either weight gain or loss. I know changes may happen, but, I just don't want the original tattoo to be a waste in the long run.

I have thought about my nape or a bit lower, the center of my upper back. As of right now, that's my only ideas...So...shoot!

~emme
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
Shoulder blades take tattooing much better than anywhere that's right over the spine, as they are more padded with muscle.

The nape of the neck is not as coverable as people think.

There's a fantastic article that Moe did over in Large & Lovely, where she interviewed me about tattooing on larger people. It's called "Plus Size Ink" and you can find it here,BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Shark
Shark
I love to have a tattoo at the back of my neck just like the famous Taiwanese actress Barbie Su

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was thinking that a shoulder blade would be good as well. I have one there. It's easy to cover and easy to show off.

The back is a good place if you really want to be able to cover it up and not have it strech. Just be aware of your dressing habits, if you wear a lot of tanks or low backed items, think about placement. Pretty much my whole back is done or in the process of being filled in. While I have been told I have a high pain tolerance, some areas hurt more than others. The shoulder blads and between them, not so much but go down to any part of the center of my back, and youch!

Good luck. I see that you are in Raleigh, I'm in Charlotte. I can recommend an excellent tattoo parlor down here. It is the only place I will go.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.-

Mark Twain
OP Offline
Thank you to all the responses. That article was definitely helpful, thanks Rae! Your tattoos are gorgeous!

I definitely don't wear tanks very often (if at all, it's just at home). I like the placement of yours, diat. I think if I do get this done, it will be on the upper area of the back, either right in the middle or off to one side.

Thanks again to everyone. It's nice to find a friendly site I can come to with questions! laugh

~emme
Good luck, depending on how low you get it, it is very easy to cover up. I was suprised by how little that area, right at the top vertabrae before my neck hurt when tattooed. I was really expecting it to hurt but comparatively, it was pretty painless.

Farther up the neck though, close to the hair line, youch!
Here is what my neck looks like now, but I will be getting it finished next tuesday.

Last edited by diat; 01/19/07 07:50 PM.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.-

Mark Twain
I have a tattoo between my shoulder blades. I think it's lovely, and wouldn't want to cover it up for any reason.

Just keep something in mind...something I have run into since getting this particular tattoo. If you ever plan to wear a wedding dress, or be in someone's wedding (like your sister) who might throw a fit about it showing....pick a different place. Wedding dresses & brides maids gowns don't cover that area.

Also...dont get one on your tail bone. (No, not your lower back where it's trendy for girls to get...but really, your tail bone). Now that hurts!

*It could be worse...you could be on fire*

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.