Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#257699 07/10/06 10:58 AM
E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
I'm new here and I see a lot of excitement about paganism. Exactly what is paganism today? I know what it was historically, but what about now? Please don't give me a website link. I am not looking for some dry clinical answer but a personal one. What is it and how does it help you personally?

Last edited by Rae_BodyArtPagan; 07/12/06 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
I found my connection to Spirit through Paganism, something which I didn't really feel with the religious information and practices that I was raised with. As to what it is, I can only speak for myself and my own practices. I don't think of how I meditate and pray to be all that different from anyone else who does such things, however, I find that because the objects I use as visualization aids or the names of the gods that I invoke are different than those used by others, some people consider what I do to be invalid.

To me, Paganism is Earth-centered spirituality, but I'm sure there are folks out there whose personal definitions would differ.

E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
How can you be sure the ones you pray to are valid if others pray to different ones and, as you said, consider yours to be invalid?

Zebra
Zebra
I too have signed the petition.
I too, don't pray as others do.

emaster101, This thread wasn't created to stimulate a theological discussion on prayer.... If you'd like to ask such questions, maybe you'd like to start a new thread, under the appropriate forum?

E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
I was asking a question from someone about their personal beliefs on paganism. That's all. I asked a question and she answered so I asked another.How can I understand why some are upset about paganism if I don't understand it? How can I understand it if I don't ask questions?

Elephant
Elephant
Alexandra, if you have some problem with how my forum is operating, I'd prefer that you brought that issue up with me, as I am the editor/moderator.

emaster101 - all religion or spirituality is based on faith, something for which no one has the ability to prove or disprove.

E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
Right, no one can prove or disprove it. But Islam uses the Koran and Christianity the Bible so what do pagans use?

Amoeba
Amoeba
Does one need 'A Book' to practice faith?

Elephant
Elephant
Good point, aiteall.

When you say "pagans," emaster, which form of paganism are you asking about? It's not a singular tradition, but a term that encompasses many variant faiths.

BTW, emaster, what religion do you identify with? And as you described yourself as "scientifically-minded" what science discipline are you schooled in?

Shark
Shark
ouch good questions!!! i signed the petion too thats bs at its worst or best whatever!!! I am a chirstian but i think i gain more insight about what it means thourgh people and other books its like useing a study guide to the bible. but i dont always use a religious study guide to inlightin me. i use music, friends, family, even romanice books and mystisy and fantasy whatever strike a choid and brings an idea to my mind that puts a new look on what i believe or dont believe and makes me question DId i read that right or is what the bible said different to what i thought? I think Pagan religions are the same way (forgive me if i am wrong) they have there eithics and morals that are set and dont change but there understanding about the world and who God, Goddess, Deity or what ever does basied on there knowladge and personal experince and under standing. just like a chirstian growing in there faith!!!

Am i Close to geting it Right Rae?

Judge not lest ye be judged: all things are permittable but not all things are beneficial
Elephant
Elephant
freebubbles -- I could say for how some people approach their faith, you do have it right. But there are also Pagan traditions that are more formalized and draw their learning from more specific texts, histories and traditions.

For myself, one of the best things in my life is my participation in a community of Alchemists. We use music, song, dance, stories, stage magic, really any form of learning and knowledge exchange to apply and explore the ideas of alchemy as a spiritual process. And within that community, there are Buddhists, Jews, Pagans, NeoPagans, Christians, Witches, Channelers, just about everything and yet we are all able to share due to this one process.

Shark
Shark
Freebubbles, you are such a breath of fresh air! You are the rare type of person I call a TRUE Christian, loving, kind, non-judgemental. Thank you for being here.

I think it is so shocking that people's religious beliefs can be used against them when their religion is based on harming none.

AM~

E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
Well, I don't know what I mean exactly by "pagan". Pagan to me is just an all encompassing word. So, there are no books?
I'm curious how you keep your religion intact over the years. Your traditions, moral beliefs, practices. etc.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Most of the pagan tradtitions are oral traditions, passed on by story and myth and by practical means like herb lore and cooking lore. There are some, as Rae said, that used a more structured approach by using specific texts and histories to approach their tradition.

This can be difficult because as an oral tradition much has been lost. There are groups such as reconstructionists (of which there are several like Greek and Celtic) who take what is known about that ancient culture and what writings there are and try to recreat to the best of their ability what religion was like in that time.

Elephant
Elephant
emaster, I was asking YOU what you meant when you asked about Pagans, and now you're just throwing the question back to me. For someone who claims to be scientifically-minded, you seem averse to reading and are really missing out on a lot of information that is available on this site for your education.

Like it or not, you're going to have to start reading a bit.
Pagans and Paganism

E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
Basically, that definition said a lot of nothing. That is why I was asking on a more personal level. Is there a set of truths or beliefs that pagans believe? What morals do they set as a standard? Practices? It sorta sounds like a free for all kind of thing.

Elephant
Elephant
emaster,

Since I can't speak for anyone but myself you're not going to get any wide sweeping answers about how all Pagans might act or think here.

As far as my own morals go, that's not the type of personal conversation I'd ever have with a stranger in a public forum.

Is there some sort of scientific hypothesis that you're trying to work out here?

Gecko
Gecko
Quote:
How can you be sure the ones you pray to are valid if others pray to different ones and, as you said, consider yours to be invalid?

What's in a name?
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

emaster, you can easily browse the huge sections of Pagan materials for sale in any major bookstore.

Gecko
Gecko
Quote:
Well, I don't know what I mean exactly by "pagan". Pagan to me is just an all encompassing word. So, there are no books?
I'm curious how you keep your religion intact over the years. Your traditions, moral beliefs, practices. etc.

Even Judeo-Christianity has devolved in many forms: Protestant, Mormon, Baptist, Evangelical, Catholicism, Born Again, Presbyterian, Christian Science, Lutheran, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jews, Islam, Jews who accept Christ as the Messiah, etc.

And there are many translations of the "one" book (Koran, Torah, King James, etc.), some of which differ highly in meaning.

Furthermore, there are many "truths" even between the Christian religions. Some could say it's a veritible free for all as well with so many splinter groups.

None of it dimishes the religion; none of it makes those who pray to this name or that any less spiritual or less of a human being. To each her own, and don't cast stones is perhaps the best policy to follow.

E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
I'm not asking for personal morals but morals that paganism teaches. Yes, Islam, Hinduism, and Christianity have some differing interpretations and doctrinal differences but they have basics that they agree on. I guess that's what I'm looking for. What are the basic doctrines of paganism? What are some foundational truths it teaches?

Elephant
Elephant
Again, I'm going to ask you, what type of Paganism are you asking about?

There are so many varied beliefs that the term "Paganism" covers, I can't answer a general question like that. For instance, Hinduism is considered by some to be a form of Paganism, as it is a polytheistic religion. But it's not like the worship of Greek gods, nor is it like Asatru, the Norse-based form of Pagansim. The Voudoun beliefs are also considered Paganism, and those incorporate a lot of Christian influence in the modern forms. Then you've got Druidism, which comes from the Western Europeans, as do some Wiccan traditions (Gardnerian, Dianic, etc). Then we could go into shamanism or the practices of the Huichol Indians. Plus Native American spiritualities, Aboriginal beliefs, and the list goes on.

All of those are considered to be part of the Paganism family, and each one comes from various cultural and societal roots. There are no doctrines or foundational truths that cover them all. Each one must be explored independently. Paganism is an umbrella term, and if you're searching for "one great truth" here, you're just not going to find it.

E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
Oh O.K.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Well put, Rae.

I will add that Wicca is only one kind of Paganism and it can be further divided into Traditions (Gardenerian, Alexandrian, BTW, Eclectic) and many many Wiccan practice as Solitaries.

Most Wiccans follow the Wiccan Rede which states: An it Harm None, Do as you Will. Sort of a golden rule of sorts. And many also believe in the Threefold Law: that which you put out into the Universe will return to you threefold.

Other than that Wiccans, like other Pagans, cannot be easily grouped into boxes or rules really.

E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
If there are so many, which one is right? How do you pick out what is true and false from so much stuff?

Parakeet
Parakeet
Honestly, you have to trust what science cant tell you... what you feel is right in your heart and soul. For some that is Jesus and God, for others Krishna and Vishnu, and still others The God and Goddess, etc.

There have been many who have said that all paths lead to one Divine. That it dosent matter what you call it. I believe (personally) that the divine presents itself to a person in the manner in which it makes the most sense to that person.

And no matter what religion it is... there is a part of it that there is no proof for, that must be taken on faith.

Elephant
Elephant
How would you pick between Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Wicca, Druidism or any of the other religions in the world?

Most people make their decisions based on their experiences, what they were raised with and what they feel they need to balance their life. It's not a cut and dried experiment, so the line of reasoning and questioning that you keep using, which is very scientific, isn't going to work as well as you'd like in these instances.

E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
I can see where you might rely on your personal faith to affirm what you believe but I cannot see how personal faith can originally lead you to the truth. I mean if Jesus was right then muhammad was wrong since they make many opposing claims. And if a person is right to choose wicca then something else has to be wrong. I mean how can all paths lead to the divine if not all roads lead to Denver? Is it so terrible if you have to admit that, hey, somebody is just wrong?

Elephant
Elephant
emaster, you really sound like you're on a philosophical quest, not a religious one. Maybe you should try talking to some philosophers instead of Pagans.

Personally, I don't believe anyone has to be wrong, but that's just how my spirituality goes. If you want to think someone is wrong, you can just go right ahead and think that.

Blessed Be

Parakeet
Parakeet
I agree with Rae. pretty much on all counts here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 07:45 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.