This fall has been unseasonably warm for us. Highs have been in the upper 50's right through the month of October. Some nights have gotten pretty frosty, however. 'Old Smokey' (the outdoor wood burner)has been puffing away for about three weeks now. It looks like the end is in sight and colder weather is moving in around the end of the week.

But I'm ready! My woolens are all washed and sorted, the socks are matched and patched, and my spinning wheel has been busy making a new supply of yarn. I love winter! (Please don't throw those tomatoes!)

My sheep are happy and the horses too. The pasture is still green and reasonably lush, much more so than usual. We've lived here for 5 years now and this is the first time we haven't been feeding ANY hay this late in the year. The sheep are laying on the pond's brim, chewing their cuds and looking the picture of contentment. But next week I'll get the winter stall bedded and ready for moving them in.

I've been enjoying the weather with friends lately too. Sunday I went horseback riding on the public trails (state land nearby) with one friend and today another came here and we rode along our property. My butt is now officially sore. Why is it we never do things in moderation? I hadn't ridden in three weeks and then I ride twice in 3 days... dumb. I think I need to spend time spinning to recuperate!

Twin Willows Farm
Registered Border Leicester Sheep
Ossineke, Michigan