logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Leequi Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I can't believe how lucky I've been in sighting hummingbirds this summer. Not only have I had more visits than usual in my own backyard, I also had late June sightings in NY at Cornell's Sapsucker Woods birdblind (along with Shelley and Rose :love: ), at the Peace Valley birdblind and along their trails in PA since early June, and also in NJ at an Audubon Nature Center about 20 miles or so from Cape May just last week.

I never seem to get early summer visitors in my backyard, but since the beginning of August, I've had more visits than I can recall in past years. Although only once did I see more than one at a time, the visits came at all times of the day from early morning, to mid-day, to late afternoon and dusk. There seemed to be a preference for flowers (this year's red salvia has been popular) over my hummingbird feeder, but perhaps that's because the yellow-jackets seem to be claiming the main feeder as their own. I put out a second feeder, and it was hanging less than 5 minutes before a hummingbird appeared on the scene to test it. I've decided that the design of the feeder is a failure although I may still use it as a decorative garden ornament. It's a crystal red apple with just a single tube coming out of the bottom. The main problem I see is that it constantly leaks and too much of the sugar water drips out even when a bee tries to get a sip.

Earlier today I had a brief backyard sighting, but by the time I got my camera, the hummingbird was gone. Even if that was my last sighting of the season, I've got no complaints over all the beauties that I've enjoyed in 2003.

~~Leequi

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Leequi Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I'm still having major computer problems and I'm trying to squeeze out a few posts before being denied the chance the do so. This is my first time I've been able to log on at home in more than two days.

~~Leequi

I have had very few hummingbird sightings this year. I even forgot to put my feeder out this year. It rained so much in June that I just didn't even think of them. I have seen a few hummingbird moths around my petunias. I have a feeder kind of like the one you described. It's a crystal ball with a single tube. I haven't tried it yet. Hope mine doesn't have the same problems yours did.

Mmmmmmmmmmm....Baps
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Leequi, you know you can edit your messages. Just use the icon above your post that looks like a piece of paper and a pencil. Edit what you want and then hit "edit post" to save it.

Marian

Leequi Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Duh....I guess I've known that others have edited their posts, but didn't investigate further to see why they could and I couldn't. Normally I preview my posts before shipping them out, but with the way the computer has been acting up, I've felt inclined to post as quickly as possible so I wouldn't lose my connection entirely or have the screen freeze up. I've had fun with the Instant UBB Code features, but I guess I've overlooked some of the basics. Thanks for the info, Marian.

~~Leequi, who is trying to come up with the easiest way to protect containers of flowers from upcoming high winds

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.