Print Thread
#151975 09/07/03 04:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just created a polar bear quiz. Care to test your brain cells? It's only 5 questions, and it doesn't keep score (so you have to). To get to the next question, you have to scroll down to the bottom (I'm not sure why it's like that).

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art12739.asp

Marian

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#151976 09/08/03 02:06 AM
Gecko
Gecko
Marian, good quiz. I got them all right. Of course if I hadn't, I would be in a world of hurt. Polor bear are one of the most "taught about" bears in Alaska. Did you know they have "black" tongues and black skin?

Rose

#151977 09/08/03 09:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I knew about the black tongues, but didn't know about the black skin! Wow!! Here's more polar bear trivia:

Quote:
"Of all the animals the Inuit traditionally hunted, Nanuk, the polar bear, was the most prized. Native hunters considered Nanuk to be wise, powerful, and "almost a man." Some called the bear "the great lonely roamer." Many tribes told legends of strange polar-bear men that lived in igloos. These bears walked upright, just like men, and were able to talk. Natives believed they shed their skins in the privacy of their homes. After killing a bear, the Inuit ate the meat, sucked fatty oil from the bones, and used the fur to make warm trousers for men and kamiks for women. An average polar bear would yield three pairs of trousers and one kamik. The only part of the bear that was not used was the liver. This was immediately thrown out, as it could make even the sled dogs violently ill. To pay respect to Nanuk's soul (tatkok), the hunter hung up the skin in an honored place in his igloo for several days. If the bear were male, the hunter provided him with tools such as knives and bow-drills; if female, the bear was offered knives, skin-scrapers, and needlecases. Native people believed that polar bears allowed themselves to be killed in order to obtain the souls of the tools (tatkoit), which they would take with them into the hereafter. According to legend, a dead polar bear that was properly treated by a hunter would share the good news with other bears. The animals would then be eager to be killed by such a man while the bears would avoid a hunter who failed to pay respect."
This is from The Polar Bear FAQ

Marian

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.