logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
A Christmas tree was taken down from a French school, apparently as part of the debate over separation of church and state, but later put back up after it was decided it was a pagan symbol and thus not connected to the church.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041218/80/f8tfv.html

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Last night when I got home from work and had finally gotten into bed - bout 130 am - I think it was on cnn or some other news station and they were grousing about how they might have to call the xmas tree at the white house a 'holiday tree'. Which was then countered with the fact that some people don't even celebrate holidays at this time of year and thusly there shouldnt even be a white house tree.
I apologize for the spottiness of this post I was kind of tired last night... =]

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Well, given that what is now called a Christmas tree is in fact a very old pagan symbol, I sometimes find it funny that people who do celebrate Christmas and really see it as the birth of Christ get so attached to it.

What is thought of as Christmas in the modern American sense is all based on customs that were created by the English Victorians. Most of what people now think of as old holiday traditions are only from things within the last 100 years, which in the scheme of holiday celebrations, is really not old at all.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I sometimes find it amusing as well. Here in Denver there was a HUGE controversy about the Parade of Lights. What it boiled down to was that there were not supposed to be any "religious" symbols in the parade and some churches were freaking out because there was a dreidel on one of the floats. Then there was the whole Merry Christmas on the COunty building hoopla.

Next year it's going to say Happy Holidays. lol

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
A Christmas tree was taken down from a French school, apparently as part of the debate over separation of church and state, but later put back up after it was decided it was a pagan symbol and thus not connected to the church.

I'm not quite sure why it would matter if it were a Christmas tree or a pagan tree. They are both religions, so shouldn't it be removed regardless?? Obviously Paganism isn't as organized as Christianity, but it is a religion nonetheless...

E
Koala
Koala
E
That's a valid point. At least be consistent. But I really think it is a lot of fuss about the little things and not enough attention being given to really important issues like preventing religious intolerance from becoming big enough to lead to full scale violence and warfare...

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with that too!! I don't think kids especially care if there is a Christmas tree around them. If someone was holding them down and forcing them to pray, yes they would care. I think it is mostly parents who take things too far!

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.