logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#150508 11/13/04 07:41 PM
Bonna Offline OP
OP Offline
I want to know about the spiritual side of life. I am a student of politics. The world i live in disgusts me. I would like to find out how i can explore my spiritual side. Is paganism the right way to live? Were the dark ages not really dark? Are we as a race, on the verge of extinction. Is postmodernism destroying us? Are neo-pagans just a phoney postmodern fraternity? I am confused, i have a need for some honesty. Thankyou.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#150509 11/13/04 11:49 PM
Elephant
Elephant
Bonna,

You can read the articles here and decide for yourself. Proselytizing, trying to convert someone else to your faith, is not a part of paganism.

Pagans try to cultivate a respect for all forms of life. Wicca, one of the major pagan religions, maintains the Law of Three as one of the major tenents: the belief that whatever energy you put out into the world will return to you threefold.

Neo-paganism tends to refer to spiritual practices that are not an exact decendant of a specific practice. I identify as a neo-pagan in that I am an eclectic, one who practices their faith in a solitary fashion as opposed to as part of a formal group.

In exploring your spiritual side, you have to decide what you are seeking. When I was in college, I felt that the spirituality that I had been raised with didn't feel like the person I was inside. I too have felt conflict with the outside world and its beliefs in my life. I read a lot, as I didn't like how many spiritualities tried to "grab" you and make you one of theirs if you went speak to someone. I thought about what was important to me, and read about various faiths until I found descriptions of beliefs that matched my own feelings.

Can you be more specific about this concept of "honesty" that you are seeking?

#150510 11/15/04 07:54 PM
Bonna Offline OP
OP Offline
Thankyou for your reply. I respect your objective explination. I hope i did not offend you with my asumptions of neo-paganism. If i had to assign myself to any "school of thought" it would be that. I beleive that what you put in to life you will recieve it back, I am not talking in terms of hard work or anything like that, i think it is how you treat people and realising that you must respect every thing as much as yourself. I have always thought that faith is a private thing. My only concern is the decline in faith within our society. This leads me to your question about honesty. I think that i used the wrong word, I meant that i rarely meet someone with an opinion on how their life is organised. I find it frustrating that people are passive, and accept their position in a world governed by wealth, fraternity and hierarchy. It feels wrong to me. Sorry for talking to you like an agony aunt but there is no one else i can ask advice from. Are you worried about secularisation?

#150511 11/16/04 11:27 AM
Elephant
Elephant
For those following along, secularization n 1: the activity of changing something (art or education or society or morality etc.) so it is no longer under the control or influence of religion

Am I worried about secularization? No, but I think many people associated with formal religious structures and organizations are.

I'm more worried that the opposite will happen, that the separation between church and state in this country is going to be removed, as has been the trend as of late. I do not want my health care choices based on someone else's religion, one that is not my own, I want health care choices that are based on medical knowledge. I want to be able to make the art I want to make and view the art I want to view. I see those facets of my life as being threatened somewhat right now.

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.