logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#133379 11/11/04 12:29 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Does anyone here have any tips on how to increase knitting speed? I've crocheted for about 30 years, and I can crochet quite fast. I've only been knitting for about a year now, and I've noticed I have gotten faster-- but when I watch some of the knitting shows, it seems like everyone goes so fast. I also hear of people who can knit a pair of socks in a weekend!

Anyone here have any tips on how to increase my actual dexterity speed of knitting and purling?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Have you tried using circular needles ? I bought the Boye set and I use them whenever I can. I found that with straight needles they sometimes get "in the way" because they are longer. I too learned how to crochet first so I thought maybe it was the length of the needles and for me it was.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Quote:
Originally posted by Eva - Crochet & Knitting Editor:
[qb] Have you tried using circular needles ? I bought the Boye set and I use them whenever I can. I found that with straight needles they sometimes get "in the way" because they are longer. I too learned how to crochet first so I thought maybe it was the length of the needles and for me it was. [/qb]
I have! I bought the Needlemaster set, and the Denise set are on their way! I think the circular needles have helped me speed up-- plus my hands don't get as tired. Great suggestion, though. I simply bought the circular needles because I thought that Needlemaster set was pretty cool!

Maybe I'm stuck in the illusion I'm not fast-- and I'm just expecting to be able to whip out large projects as fast as I can with the crochet hook. . .

I'm much slower with short needles. It's funny, my mom taught me to knit, but we knit differently. Both her needles move through the motions when she knits (Continental)...but I have to knit with the left needle poking into my leg while only the right needle makes all the motions. Since circulars are usually short, I can't hold the end into my leg, so I have to knit with both needles making the motions...and that's hard for me to do.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Well you don't want to be too fast, I think I am just average speed but waay faster than when I started.

Amoeba
Amoeba
I knit Continental which is apparently faster than the English way. I spent some time a while back trying to become faster -- the only thing I accomplished was more dropped stitches! I focus on enjoying the process now. Having said that, I am THE slowest knitter in my guild. I'm the only one still working on the same project after 3 months......

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.