Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#132945 05/08/04 10:15 AM
CCF Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,Here is the first row of the sweater pattern ,
I cast on 97 stitches for size Medium,
1st Row-(RS). K1 (0-1) P1. K1) 5 (7-8) times.
Work 1st row of panel pat. (K1 P1) 3 times. K1
Work first row of Panel Pat. (K1. P1) 10 (11-13)
times K1.
Work 1sr row of panel pat. (K1 P1) 3 times.
Work 1st row of panel pat. (K1 P1) 5 (7-8 )times.
K1 (0-1).
No matter how you try this is does not add up right.And at the beginning when it says first row of panel pattern on each line ,is that a repeat of the first line.
I appreciate any help given,
thank you,
CCF

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Can you tell me what book or magazine or name of the pattern so that I can take a better look at it ? It can very well be that there is a mistake in the book/magazine etc, the first thing that we can do is if possible look at the website where the pattern came from there may be an "OOPS" page that you have to print out.

CCF Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,This pattern came from Leisure Arts book called Sweaters for a lifetime.I checked the web site ,no oops.I think whats confusing me is the panel pattern that repeats each row of 1st row.
I am not a very experienced knitter but I'm trying.
Thanks,
Diane

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I don't happen to have that pattern but Yes when they say repeat 1st row of pattern you repeat the very first row. Does that help at all ?

CCF Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,I think I figured this pattern out a little,it has a panel pattern worked over 8 stitches and thats the repeat in every line of first row.But I do have one more question,if you can bear with me a minute,I will list the panel pat. and then ask the question,

Panel Pattern(worked over 8 rows)
1st Row:(RS)P1 K6. P1.
2nd and alt. rows:K1.P6 K1
3rd. row: P1 C4F. K2. P1
5th Row: P1. K2. C4B. P1
6th row:As 2nd row
These 6 rows form panel pattern.

Pattern goes to 4th row then says These 4 rows form panel pattern.Panel pattern now in position.

Con. even in pat. working appropriate rows of panel pat. until work measures 10".

So,I don't understand if its a 6 row panel pat.,
and at the end of row 4 it says the 4 rows form the panel pat.,are you suppose to stop at 4 or do the 6.

I really appreciate help with this,I want to knit this pattern and try to understand what I'm doing.
didn't think kinitting would be this hard.But I think whats giving me the problems is understanding the pattern language.But I'm not giving up.
Thanks again for your help.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Here is my explanation with what you have given me:
**Pattern goes to 4th row then says These 4 rows form panel pattern.Panel pattern now in position.** The four rows form the PANEL pattern but not the entire patter.

***see how they have worded it** "Con. even in pat. working appropriate rows of panel pat.until work measures 10". **to me it means you need to work all 6 rows for the complete pattern**

Let me know how this works out or if I can help you further. Knitting honestly isn't that hard I think you may have picked a little bit of an advanced pattern for the first try. But it is really good to try harder things because you learn so much from doing them.

CCF Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought the same too,6 rows because of panel pattern,but the directions only have 4 rows throughout the instructions.There are no 5 and 6 rows.So,I assume it has to be 4 rows.
One more question please,is there somewhere I can
go for stitch guide,that shows you how to do stitches,there is a C4F,C4B,M1,and I have no idea what these are.
Thanks,
CCF

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
there is a C4F**cable 4 front**,C4B **cable 4 back**,M1 **make one** Please check here to see how to do both of these stitches http://www.knitting.co.nz/pages/knitting/increase.php and http://www.knitting.co.nz/pages/knitting/cables.php If you don't understand how to do these, let me know and I will help.

CCF Offline OP
OP Offline
Eva,Thank you so much for all your help,I really appreciate your sharing of knowledge.I am on my 3rd row and hopefully will not have to bother you again.Will keep you up on my project.
Thanks,
CCF

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
You are not bothering me, I'm glad to be of help :love: When you can I highly recommend purchasing a copy of Vogue Knitting. It has just about everything in it pertaining to knitting including necklines, stitches, raglans and all the abbreviations and what they mean. I would be lost without mine. You might want to do a search at www.bookfinder.com or www.half.com or www.amazon.com sometimes you can get a good used copy for next to nothing because you can go broke buying all the books.

CCF Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Eva,Guess who's back with a question,bet you're real surprised,right.When we talked about the 4 rows of this pattern and I said there were 6 but no 5 and 6 row written,you said I was suppose to continue in pattern and of course you are right.The 4 rows are basically the same except for doing the panel rows,1st row starts with P1 K1,2nd row-K1 P1,3rd row-K1 P1,4th row-P1 K1,so could you please tell me what you think row 5 and 6 will start with,if I know that I will know how to continue.
Thanks,
CCF

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I am going to guess that the 5th row is to form your cable (that would be the rows that say something like c4b and c4f ) then the 6th row would be to get you in position (knitting or purling the cables you just made) to start row 1 again. **See you need to work several rows after you have made your twist for the cable. If you don't it won't look good, it will look very twisted. Does that help ?

CCF Offline OP
OP Offline
The 3rd row I worked had the C4F in it.And I'm through the 4th row,and do not know what to do now.Evidently the 5th row will have the C4B in it according to the panel pat.If you will look back up my messages,I put the first row of instructions in and also the panel pattern.Each row is basically the same stitches but starts 1st row-P1 K1,2nd row K1 P1,
3rd row K1 P1,4th row,P1 K1.
At the end of 4th row it says these 4 rows form pat. Panel pattern is now in position.
Continue even in pat. working appropriate rows of panel pat. until work from beginning measures 10",
ending with RS facing for next row.
Thanks,
CCF

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Does this pattern look like a sort of rib stitch with cables in it ? If it does, you will always have to knit in the purl stitches, and purl in the knit stitches. WHEW I'm getting confused. hehehehe. We will eventually figure this out.

CCF Offline OP
OP Offline
Eva,I already put the first row of my pattern in my earlier message and the 6 row panel pattern,
I am going to list the other 3 rows ,so maybe you can understand what I'm trying to explain,and if this does not work,I'm going to admit defeat.

Row2- (K1 P1) 7times.Work 2nd row of panel pat.(P1. K1)3times.P1.Work 2nd row of pannel pat.(P1 K1) 11 times.P1. Work 2nd row of panel pat. (P1 K1) 3 times.P1.Work 2nd row of panel pat. (P1 K1) 7 times.

3rd row-(K1 P1) 7 times.Work 3rd. row of panel pat. (P1 K1) 3 times. P1.Work 3rd row of panel pat.(P1 K1) 11 times. P1. Work 3rd row of panel pat. (p1 K1) 3 times.P1. Work 3rd row of panel pat. (P1 K1) 7 times.

4th row-(P1 K1) 7 times.Work 4th row of panel pat..(K1 P1) 3times.K1.Work 4th row of panel pat.
(K1 P1) 11 times. K1.Work 4th row of panel pat.(K1 P1) 3times.K1.Work 4th row of panel pat.(K1 P1
7 times.
These 4 rows form panel pattern.Panel Pattern is now in position.

Cont. even in pat. working appropriate rows of panel pat. until work from beg measures 10",ending with RS facing for next row.

This is it,as I said before the first row is in an earlier meassage as is the panel pattern,I hope maybe this will help.
CCF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.