logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I really enjoyed your latest article on misbehaving children -

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art5393.asp

I really don't like going out to malls any more because of this!! I either see kids running around like terrors with the parents nowhere in sight, or the parents screaming at the kids because the kids are hungry or tired or all those normal things that humans get!

I suppose the misbehaving kids bothers me a bit, but the parents yelling at the kids REALLY bothers me. The poor kid is at the point of dehydration, or is really hungry, and the parent is just dragging the kid around like a ragdoll or something. And it's like, what can you do? Go up to the parent and say "Will you FEED YOUR CHILD!!"?

P. Pureheart
Sponsored Post Advertisement
MM Offline
Shark
Shark
On the reverse, it's really important to compliment children who are behaving well. Several times when my children were small, complete strangers approached our children to compliment their behavior. They were always so proud, and it made them aware that people were watching. They behaved even better the next time. You can provide a real service to a parent by doing this! In fact, it might change everything. I once took a group of Cub Scouts to a circus. Their public behavior had been so bad a few months before I had refused to take them on any more trips. This was our trial run and we were stopped by a staff member who told me how pleased he was by their good behavior. They were shocked. This group had never been complimented on good behavior in their lives! I never again had any trouble.

I really liked this article. I noticed that all children go through a temper tantrum/attention getting phase. If you give the child the attention they want for negative behaviour, they will repeat it! I mentioned this before, but when we would go to the grocery store with our daughter, she would pitch a fit (not because she was hungry or anything) our solution was to completely ignore the fit. That is not the only step though! A lot of parents think that just ignoring the kids will make the problem go away, nopers. The minute they start acting like the sweet little angels that you know are buried in there, you need to give them attention. When my baby girl finally stopped pitching her fits, we asked her questions about what she liked for dinner, if she wanted to learn how to make cookies, anything that would keep her involved.

Sadly, lots of people judged me based on that week of temper tantrums at the store. While I would never have taken her to a movie, or entertainment place with her in that phase, I did take her to the store. Many people would make comments about out of control children, without knowing what my daughter is normally like. Now she is an angel at the store, because she knows that temper tantrums will not get her what she wants!

One last note, during that temper tantrum phase, she was pitching a fit in the line, and the clerk offered her a sucker (without asking me) That is a huge no-no! First of all, he had just rewarded her for her bad behavior. Secondly, he ignored my rights as a parent to lay down the law, he wouldn't have known that we have a no sweets policy. And what if my daughter had been diabetic? Or had some other problem with eating sugar? He could have caused serious harm. I did speak rather sharply to both him and his boss, letting them know that I did not appreciate what he did. And it actually made the temper tantrum last even longer. So my point is, if it's not your child, don't offer rewards without talking to the parents first! (in general, don't offer or do anything without talking to the parents first... unless the parents are abusing the child, then get the authorities involved!)

Great article! I loved the part about feeling embarassed for knocking into a "little old lady" I just about died laughing! My daughter would have been mortified if that happened to her!

T
Shark
Shark
T
I am afraid I am one of those old grumpy seniors who just get annoyed when I go to a shopping centre for a browse and there always seems to one child screaming. What gets me even more the mothers ignore them.

I know a lot of people will say I am unfair but sorry that is way I feel.

Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them
but you always know they are there.

Moderated by  DeboraD 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.