BellaOnline
Posted By: Jess81 Favorite cheap wines? - 11/20/06 07:15 PM
What are some good wines you get from the grocery store for under $10. My boyfriend and I like this norton malbec. It may be a 2004.
One of my absolute favorites is the Vitiano Falesco. It's consistently better than $30 bottles of wine. Take a look at Great Red Wines for Under $15.
Posted By: ktmurphy Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 03/06/07 01:56 AM
For my favorite "house" wine that is VERY affordable, I drink Concha Y Toro cabernet. It is from Chile and costs about $10 for a double bottle at the grocery store.

Katie
Posted By: Caring Parent Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 03/08/07 12:08 AM
I don't really like Malbec. There's just something odd about the taste.

Has any one tried the Fish Eye box yet?
Posted By: dewdrop67 Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 04/04/07 08:58 PM
My favorite cheap wine is a brand called Barefoot its usually $5! lol Im not really a wine expert but I am planning on moving out to Napa/Sonoma at the end of the year so I hope to gain some knowledge on this forum before I go.
Posted By: K i K i Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 04/04/07 11:31 PM
I really enjoy Australian and Mexican bargain wines. I can't think of any particular names right now but we tend to find some really great inexpensive wines from those regions!
Posted By: Lonelypoet Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 04/05/07 10:37 AM

Hi Ladies,

Well, I have a few favorite wines for under $10.00 a bottle (750 ml), and they are as follows(in the order I like them): 1. Gallo Family, Sonoma Reserve 2003(Cabernet Sauvignon, California), $9.00 2. Paolo Toscano Chianti 2002 & 2003(Italy), $9.00 3. Dancing Bull 2003(Cabernet Sauvignon, California), $9.00 4. Bare Foot(Cabernet Sauvignon, California), $6.00 5. Jacob's Creek(Cabernet Sauvignon, Australia), $6.00.

So, there you have it. Try, and enjoy! I stumbled upon this nice site while searching for a particular wine, and decided to join. I love food, wine and beer, which are some of the finer things in life!

~ Lonelypoet
Barefoot is a good buy. I lucked out the other day. One of my local grocery stores was clearing out it's higher priced wines by reducing them 30%. I cleaned up! I've discovered some nice sauvignon blancs from the random selections.
Posted By: chloe21 Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 08/03/07 05:28 PM
Night Harvest Chardonnay by R.H. Phillips is very good and about $10-12. for a 1.5 ltr.
Posted By: trishh Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 08/20/07 07:29 PM
Casarsa (Italian) cab sauv or merlot are great for the price - in NY state discount liquor stores often $6 for 1.5 l bottle. Breaks my heart to have to buy it just across the river in Canada for $13 Cdn. when I am at home. Better by far than sangria grade jug wine from California! In the USA I've seen a chardonnay too that I'm sure is just fine.
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 08/20/07 07:34 PM
Love Barefoot Pinot Grigio.
Posted By: trishh Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 08/22/07 02:33 PM
On the advice of you in this forum I splurged for a bottle of the Barefoot Shiraz last night. Too right. Great deal, fine enough taste for my palate.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try the Barefoot Pinot Grigio next.
T
Posted By: trishh Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 08/22/07 02:33 PM
Does anyone know Two Buck Chuck on the east coast? I've only heard rumours.
Posted By: edb19 Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 09/30/07 02:48 AM
Rosemont Diamond Label Shiraz

or

Bonny Doone Riesling
Posted By: KHowe Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 12/03/07 01:33 AM
Gnarly Head 2005 Old Vine Zinfandel
Made from old vines 35 to 80 years old in Lodi, California. Flavors of plum, pepper, cola, and chocolate. The lingering spicy finish pairs well with grilled meats, pasta, and ribs. (A great value for an old vine Zin at only $10.29)

Trevor Jones NV Jonesy Port
This is a full-bodied Australian Port that has been blended with an average age of 46 years. Enjoy the sweet flavors of ripe plums, maple syrup, and hazelnuts. Rated 93 points by Robert Parker. (Definitely a best buy at only $10.29!)
Posted By: KHowe Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 12/04/07 05:19 AM
McManis California Pinot Noir (small winery in Ripon, CA) This is a spicy full bodied red wine at a bargain price of only $9. Rich fruit flavors. This winery is not well known but starting to build a solid reputation.
Posted By: mapsokardu Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 12/12/07 08:18 PM
I tend to stick to californian for cheaper wines as the fruit flavor tends to still be high quality.

As mentioned earlier, Gallo Family is very nice.
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 12/12/07 08:58 PM
ripple, morgan davis(mad dog)
Posted By: FrankJBN Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 03/18/08 06:57 PM
"morgan davis"

Oh, c'mon, you know you all laughed./
Posted By: BoomerGal Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 03/18/08 07:20 PM
I love Sutter Creek wines. Most are under $10 or around that for a large bottle.
Posted By: Eng Culture Nicola Jane Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 03/18/08 07:56 PM
Sainsburys Lambrussco Light Bianca. Its LOVELY
Posted By: Lila_Chinese_Food Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 03/23/08 02:32 PM
I had two of the most amazingly inexpensive wines last night. One was a Robert Mondavi "Solaire" Cab 2005 which I think is a limited production; but on wine-searcher there were tons of listings and it's only like 12.99.

The other was a Bonny Doon "le Posseur" 2005 Syrah, which is about 9.99. I never would have thought that Bonny Doon would make a wine as good as this. So those of you who love big bold wines these are perfect. The syrah is a bit lighter in body, but the flavor is huge.
Posted By: FrankJBN Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 03/25/08 03:53 PM
You can almost always reast assured that $13 bottles of wine are not "limited production". That it is a "Centtral Coast" wine also argues against limits.

You don't like Bonny Doon wines?
Posted By: Lila_Chinese_Food Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 04/01/08 06:20 PM
The "limited production" note was actually on the wine list at the restaurant where I had this delicious wine. I guess that's their way of trying to boost sales grin

As far as Bonny Doon wines, I've never really had any others. I guess I've always had an unconfirmed prejudice so to speak.
Posted By: FrankJBN Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 04/03/08 04:09 PM
Bonny Doon produces several medium priced high value wines.

The 9.99 you paid for "Le Posseur" is actually a very good price.

Bonny Doon was one of the original "Rhone Rangers", breaking away from Cabernet Sauvignon and merlot and producing wines from non-traditional California grapes.
Posted By: Manveri Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 04/24/08 08:31 PM
Yellow Tail Shiraz/Cabernet blend (purple label), $8.99.
Posted By: DaughterOfDada Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 04/24/08 08:42 PM
Charles Shaw aka Two-Buck Chuck, available at Trader Joe's! Nice Cab and Merlot....
Posted By: onmyway Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 06/16/08 06:48 PM
I'm not really a wine drinker so I haven't had half the ones mentioned on this list. I do prefer white wine over red. I like Reisling Relaxing (think I spelled it right). It has a hint of fruit in it.
Posted By: chloe21 Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 06/16/08 06:52 PM
R. H. Phillips, Night Harvest is a very good Chardonnay.
Posted By: fashionkat Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 07/04/08 09:02 PM
My husband and i enjoy Lou Lou B...$7.99 Anyone else tried that one? Also like Red Truck and that also under $10...
Posted By: SpiritualArtist Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 07/12/08 02:15 AM
I've searched high a low for the perfect tasting inexpensive wine under $5.00 a bottle and I've found it. It's J.W. Morris (all varieties). I get all of J.W. Morris wines for $3.99 a bottle at Trader Joes. It's a good quality wine in both Red and White.
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 07/12/08 02:59 AM
Cheap wine? MD 20/20, Thunderbird or Richard's Wild Irish Rose. They don't come any cheaper than those lol.
Posted By: mary-tea1 Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 07/12/08 04:30 AM
Love that Trader Joe's store. Vance you are so correct about those wines you had mentioned, I drank quite a few cheap wines in my younger days, my bad!!!

Now I am a connisuer (spelling)with my Barefoot, Sutter Home, and Turning Leaf!!!! HeHeHe

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Posted By: rachael24 Re: Favorite cheap wines? - 07/16/08 03:14 PM
Franzia boxed white zinfandel
© BellaOnline Forums