BellaOnline
Posted By: Peter - Wine The Challenge of Aging Wine - 10/20/14 12:49 PM

Wine can improve with aging, but will go bad if in contact with air. How to protect wine from air has challenged winemakers from the beginning, says Peter F May .

The Challenge of Aging Wine
Posted By: barrymarion Re: The Challenge of Aging Wine - 10/21/14 06:53 AM
Although, I am new to wine aging fundamentals but I am aware that it takes several years for the wine to taste good. But I have learnt that a good deal of wine made in the world today should be drunk young. Very brilliant article on wine aging.
Posted By: Peter - Wine Re: The Challenge of Aging Wine - 10/22/14 05:28 AM
Many thanks for the feedback on the article, much appreciated.

You are correct that 99% of the wine on sale is made to be drunk, not aged and few will improve with age.

Aging wine brings about changes and many drinkers who do age a special bottle are disappointed when they find that they don't enjoy the characteristics of an aged wine. Aged wine is an acquired taste.

However, one wine that I do recommend that everyone ages for 6 months and more is Champagne (or other sparkling wine made in the same process). You will notice a real difference for the better - less sharp, more rounded and softer - after 6 months and up to 3 years, and the effect is more noticeable the cheaper the sparkler is.
© BellaOnline Forums