BellaOnline
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Library Thing - 05/15/09 08:10 PM
Hi,
In our writer's group someone introduced the website Library Thing. Has anyone heard of it or used it?
Posted By: Edie - MysteryBooksEd Re: Library Thing - 05/15/09 10:24 PM
I received my first free book about a week or so ago, but haven't yet posted a review. I did list an inventory of books I have here at home, and joined a couple of groups.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to do much with the site. It sounds interesting and fun, if one can spend any amount of time there.

Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Library Thing - 05/16/09 12:02 AM
I had read about it as part of the agenda for the writers group I am going to on the 30th. I took a quick peek at it today, it looked pretty interesting, though I'm not sure if I have more time to do something that is going to require...well... a lot of time :-)
Posted By: Angie Re: Library Thing - 05/16/09 02:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Dianne W - Editor
I had read about it as part of the agenda for the writers group I am going to on the 30th. I took a quick peek at it today, it looked pretty interesting, though I'm not sure if I have more time to do something that is going to require...well... a lot of time :-)

What is a library thing? Is the writer's group where authors get together to talk about their writing techniques or is it a group of writers who get together to encourage each other?
Posted By: Paula Laurita Re: Library Thing - 05/16/09 03:13 PM
Many libraries are using it to support their library blogs. One benefit is it will post the covers of books you input.
Posted By: Angie Re: Library Thing - 05/16/09 06:25 PM
I don't understand the concept. I'm involved with our local library and this is new to me.
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Library Thing - 05/16/09 10:15 PM
I will attach the link. It is a website to catalog your own books...

Library Thing
Posted By: Edie - MysteryBooksEd Re: Library Thing - 05/16/09 10:37 PM
It seems to be for writers, readers, and libraries. Kind of a multipurpose gathering place for lovers of books.
Posted By: Angie Re: Library Thing - 05/17/09 05:34 PM
It's a personal thing rather than a public library thing. I think I have it. Another forum for book lovers.
Posted By: cscott Re: Library Thing - 05/21/09 04:03 PM
I've been playing around with library thing. It says it can be easily added to most OPACs. Does anyone have any experience with that? Thanks. cscott
Posted By: ItalianFood Re: Library Thing - 05/27/09 06:00 PM
We've not added it to our OPAC. I could see the benfit if your OPAC is very simple.
Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Library Thing - 06/24/09 08:27 PM
Edie, I'm with you on this one! Glad someone mentioned it as I also have always been very interested in Library Thing - like you, no matter how good it looks I wish had time to investigate it further.

What's the main idea behind it?
Posted By: Paula Laurita Re: Library Thing - 08/02/09 09:04 PM
At the American Library Association conference mid July Library Thing had a booth promoting services to libraries as a way that patrons can integrate book reviews into library catalogs.
© BellaOnline Forums