BellaOnline
Posted By: The Boss Is it okay to jump ship? - 06/20/03 02:29 PM
A question that faces almost every teacher or librarian sometime is, "Is it okay to leave this job because the school is so bad?" Does this betray your students?Heather Migdon asks this question of herself. "Is it possible to love teaching and yet hate your school?"
Posted By: ~ Rae ~ Re: Is it okay to jump ship? - 06/20/03 07:10 PM
I have not yet been a teacher, but as someone who was a student on several occasions, I have to say there have been many times I really liked a teacher and really disliked the school.

I have never faulted teachers for doing what they have to do to take care of themselves. After all, if they don't, who will?

- Rae
Posted By: basin Re: Is it okay to jump ship? - 07/14/03 07:46 PM
If a teacher is really unhappy in their situation, it might be best to leave. This is especially true when their feelings begin to show though in the work. If leaving is not a possiblity, it's important to do YOUR part in making the school a better place. You can not be all things to all people....but it may make things better knowing that you are doing all you can do, dispite the uphill battle, to be the best teacher you can possibly be under the circumstances. Bide your time though. Don't let yourself get too burnt out. Do not be afraid to leave when you are able....for your sake, and believe it or not, for the school. If your behavior is effected by your feelings toward the school, it will effect your students and collegues. Best of luck!
Posted By: The Boss Re: Is it okay to jump ship? - 07/17/03 02:10 PM
Thank you for the well thought out perspective.

I always say I'm very thankful that I didn't get the first library job I applied for. It turned out the principal micromanaged all aspects of the school.

I also tell my principal that if he leaves I'm gone. I'm too spoiled by his hands off approach.
© BellaOnline Forums