BellaOnline
Posted By: Cheryl - Sewing Editor Lining Pocket Surprise - 07/08/20 10:37 PM
A long-standing fashion discussion over the appalling lack of pockets in women's clothing vs men's clothing continues unresolved. The struggle is real. Pockets or what passes for pockets in women's clothing can be frustrating for their lack of real functioning properties. Why not add a pocket?

Lining Pocket Surprise
Posted By: Monika R Canada Re: Lining Pocket Surprise - 07/08/20 11:09 PM
hi Cheryl

I think you are right, we do need pockets in our clothing. I'm old school and always have a tissue up my sleeve when I don't have a pocket or decide to leave my purse at home. Do you think that pockets are omitted because we have a tendency to think that a pocket makes us look, you know, overweight?
Posted By: Cheryl - Sewing Editor Re: Lining Pocket Surprise - 07/15/20 08:00 PM
Actually I do think that clothing manufacturers believe women to be vainly thinking that pockets might add to our silhouette. I also believe manufacturers are merely going along with what has been a long, long practice of not including pockets in much of women's clothing as women supposedly had nothing of real importance to carry along with them outside of the home. In contemporary clothing, I believe the few added steps and small additional pieces of fabric to attach the pocket to garments was deemed not important as many women carry purses (less and less so today) and women's clothing is discarded and replaced much sooner than men's garments. Sigh. I wish ready-to-wear retail women's clothing was made of more material of quality. Even somewhat expensive women's ready-to-wear is often of dubious quality. One of the main reasons I sew is to make garments out of better quality material than what I find in women's garments sold in department stores. Pockets in women's clothing (or the lack thereof) will get me up on my soapbox every time!
© BellaOnline Forums