BellaOnline
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Heat-resistant fabric - 03/08/11 12:28 AM
What types of fabric are heat resistant and can be placed in a microwave oven?

I have this pattern to make a potato bag to cook microwave baked potatoes. I also want to make heating pads.

Any recommendations for both fabric and the heating filler (rice, etc.)? Beans smell and burn a little. The rice is okay but it's heavy.

P.S. Hi, Tammy! smile
Posted By: anneob Re: Heat-resistant fabric - 05/23/11 02:42 PM
Hi Tammy - I made tortilla warmers that I also use for my baked potatoes out of regular cotton with the cotton batting. I made a sandwich with cotton on both sides of the batting, sewed the two sandwiches together and used bias tape to hide my seams. They came out nicely and I use mine a lot. Hope this helps. Anne
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Heat-resistant fabric - 07/19/11 03:22 AM
Hi anneob. Thanks for the tip. Do you know if they are microwave proof?
Posted By: Tammy - Sewing Editor Re: Heat-resistant fabric - 08/08/11 06:51 AM
Hello! I did some quick research and found out that Warm and Natural makes a special batting for use in the microwave that has no chemicals added. It is called "Tater Batting," of all things. laugh
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Heat-resistant fabric - 08/09/11 05:41 AM
How funny! Maybe it was developed just for this purpose. I appreciate the research, Tammy! smile

Thanks so much. I will look for that at JoAnn's. Of course, now I'm trying not to eat potatoes. Go figure. But I guess I can microwave sweet potatoes since they're healthier, right?
Posted By: Julie_Costuming_Editor Re: Heat-resistant fabric - 09/29/11 12:12 AM
"tater batting" that's awesome!
I've made hot mitts out of regular cotton and quilt batting. But I've never put them in the microwave itself. I doubt anything would happen. You could always test a swatch.

I can see where you'd want to be careful about off-gassing from the chemicals, though.
© BellaOnline Forums