BellaOnline
Posted By: anton83 What is your experience with supplements? - 10/01/14 04:22 AM
Hi everyone! I am a newbie here and hope to contribute. For depression i am using at this moment some basic complex supplement, with a few vitamins and minerals. What helped me a lot is magnesium and zink. Do anybody here uses supplements and what is your experience with this?
Anton83 Welcome to BellaOnline
I have tried using supplements in the past But got no relief
I was trying to treat myself with out medication
Which for me was the wrong way to go
Hope it works well for you
Hi Anton83, welcome! grin

I currently use supplements only, which work better for me than prescribed medications.

I have had lots of success adding magnesium to my supplement list, but I don't use much zinc. Now I take vitamin D, St. John's wort, Omega3, iron, and choline, among others. It's taken years to find the right combination! And even now, I still need to tweak it when my symptoms change.

As Rosie mentioned (and as you probably know), it's different for everyone. What works for you may not work for me and viceversa. Just remember to document your efforts so that you can keep accurate track of what works and what doesn't.

You might want to check out my article about supplements used for depression here: Supplements Used for Depression

Let us know how it goes!
I see my link is not clickable is this right?
Hi anton83,
According to the BellaOnline TOS, you can post a link after you've made 50 posts here. That way, we keep potential spammers, etc. down. Please post often and feel free to repost your link once you've hit 50!

For anyone reading anton83's insightful comments, keep in mind what Rosie66 has already stated: supplements do not work for everyone. While certain medications did not work for me, I have several friends who treat their depression with various prescribed medications - quite successfully!

It's safest to consult your physician, or if you do not have access to one, do extensive research prior to trying anything new.
Doing research is very important and never stop cold turkey with a medicine. My brother has done this and believe me, he needed a month to get his brain chemistry back. Rayna, is it possible to get my posting back, because of the link, the whole posting is gone and now there is a gap in the conversation. "please mind the gap" :)
Sure anton83, here is your previous post with the link removed.

Quote:
Hi everyone, Rosie is agree with what you say. Trying to do it on your own without some sort of support supplmentens or medicine, is often not the right way to go. Im the beginning i used citalopram, and this worked great, but my own concerns with medicines are that they are mostly to strong. I mean by this that they do not only tread the depression, but also mess other stuff up. No surprise by the way, if you think about how little is understood about the brain. I think it is best to use medicine with acute depression, because depression can have a quick onset and often lasts a few weeks. Not using medicine often makes it worse. But just like Rayna says, for the long run, it is better to try supplements, if it works! I use... a complex supplement with magnesium and calcium in 2:1 ration and a few other nutrients.
© BellaOnline Forums