BellaOnline
Posted By: KarynJ Book Club....another go? - 02/04/07 02:57 PM
I tried to do a book club last July, but nobody seemed to be interested. Perhaps summer is not the best time to do these things. So, what I would like to know is, would anyone be interested in doing a book discussion for March? We can go with my last pick - The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory - or we can go with something else. I'm open to suggestions. Should we go with an English classic? Should we do Shakespeare? A.S. Byatt's Possession might be an interesting choice (and it's a wonderful book). I want to know what you think!

I would like to get this set up as soon as possible, to give people time to find the book. Not to mention, I would need time to acquire it, if I don't already have it.

If I have at least one interested person, I'll go forward with it. Tbunny - interested? Anyone else? cool
Posted By: joanj Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/04/07 10:57 PM
I would be interested in getting in on the discussion. Maybe you could come up with 2-3 choices and we could vote. I was an English Major in college and I think Shakespeare or an English classic might be hard for some to get into.

I used to read Philippa Gregory a lot but I'm not familiar with the other book you mentioned. In recent years, I've read mostly mysteries or non-fiction.

I used to love my lit classes where we discussed books and haven't had time to do a book club before.

Keep me posted.

Joan
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/05/07 08:44 AM
Thanks for your input, Joan. I agree that Shakespeare or the classics might be difficult, but I thought I would throw the idea out there in case that might interest anyone. I'm perfectly happy doing contemporary fiction!

A.S. Byatt's Possession, which I mentioned in my initial post, is a bit...academic. That might pose a bit of a problem too. But I think everyone who wants to participate can handle it if they give it a careful reading.

Let me come up with some choices and I'll post a poll on here.
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/05/07 09:13 AM
Okay, since I have apparently not been able to figure out how to post a poll to this thing (despite following directions), here are 3 choices I came up with. Feel free to come up with your own. I would like to make a decision on the book by February 15, in order to give everyone time to order a copy. Once we decide what title we want, I will post a Book Club page with a link to where you can purchase the book.

If you need more information about any of these titles, just feel free to look them up on amazon.com:

The 199 Steps - Michel Faber

Katherine - Anya Seton

I, Elizabeth - Rosalind Miles
Posted By: Tbunny Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/05/07 05:59 PM
I'm in!
I think my preference would be (although any would be fine):

1. 199 Steps (for no good reason other than Whitby on the cover)
2. I Elizabeth
3. Katherine

If we did "I Elizabeth" we could always read it, then see the movie and compare them.
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/05/07 07:28 PM
And Whitby is precisely the reason why I am interested in doing 199 Steps! They were selling that book absolutely EVERYWHERE when I was there.

Of course, Bram Stoker's Dracula is inspired by Whitby too, but I don't think that's a particularly English book.
Posted By: Rachel_SpanishCult Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/07/07 10:49 AM
I'm in too, 199 steps looks good I've just read the reviews on amazon.
Waiting to hear your final choice.
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/07/07 06:02 PM
Well, so far that seems to be the preferred title. I'll let you know in another week or so. I posted about this on my latest newsletter, so I'm hoping to get some more people involved.
Posted By: Stephanie Austin Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/07/07 08:42 PM
I might be interested, and I'm always looking for something new to read! Can you post a link to info about 199 steps here? I found it on Amazon, but can't seem to find any reviews or info.....
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/08/07 07:02 AM
Sian, tired of nightmares in which she meets a grisly end, decides she needs to get out more. Joining an archaeological dig at Whitby Abbey, she uncovers a mystery involving a long-hidden murder. Faber's novella is in turn thriller, romance, ghost story and meditation on the nature of sincerity.

Found here:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Stephanie Austin Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/09/07 03:43 PM
Thanks for the info Karyn, I'll check it out!
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/09/07 07:11 PM
Okay. smile I'm glad I'm getting a response this time. I think it'll be fun!
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/14/07 02:23 PM
Okay all...it's almost the 15th, and I doubt I will get any more responses to this, so I'll go ahead and declare The 199 Steps as our book pick for March. I would officially list it on the BellaOnline book clubs, but it doesn't look like the template for that includes 2007 yet.

So here's a write-up I did about the book discussion...this will be turned into an article eventually, with your feedback also being included as part of the review of this book.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Tbunny Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/15/07 02:41 PM
I just went to borders.com - it comes up as "Borders teamed with Amazon". I did not get the "sold out" message, but the est. ship date is March 15th! I will check the library - that way I can still read the book while I'm waiting for my copy to arrive.
Posted By: Tbunny Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/15/07 03:00 PM
Ironically, I can order it through amazon.co.uk and have it shipped internationally for about the same price and get it next week! Wacky!! (well, it was about $24USD total after the exchange rate, as opposed to $15 total through Borders/Amazon, but it will ship out within 24 hours!)
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/15/07 06:26 PM
Thanks, Tbunny. That at least gives people other options. When I ordered my copy, it was after I saw the warning "one copy left" so they are currently sold out, which is why shipping now is 3-6 weeks. They're waiting to get in another shipment. I'm doubtful that the library will have it, but you never know.

But at least copies can be found...just kind of a roundabout way of getting them.
Posted By: joanj Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/15/07 07:38 PM
Glad to know others want to join in. I've read Katherine several times myself but not the other two. 199 steps sounds very interesting!

Keep me posted.

Joan
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/15/07 08:09 PM
Joan> Looks like we have 3 or 4 people participating. Thank goodness it's a small number, since you might have to do some digging to get a copy. But if you don't mind buying it used on amazon.com, go ahead. We'll proceed with the discussion starting March 1.
Posted By: joanj Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/16/07 12:46 PM
I'm not sure what is happening to some of my posts but when I look for them the next day, they just aren't there.

anyway, I would love to join in the discussion of 199 Steps. It sounds like a great book! I've read Katherine several times already and I think it's a real classic.

This one sounds very interesting.

Joan
Posted By: joanj Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/16/07 12:48 PM
Well, that was weird. I looked for my post and didn't see it so posted again and then I saw both there. Sorry about that.

I'll get my copy today someplace.

Joan

Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/16/07 01:19 PM
No problem, Joan. I think there are still a few glitches to be worked out with this new forum layout.

Looking forward to our discussion!
Posted By: joanj Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/16/07 04:17 PM
I just ordered my copy of 199 steps from an Amazon used book seller. I ordered a bunch of used books last year for my mom who was looking for several books by an author from the 1950's. she got them all in a very timely manner and had no problems.

I just pick one with a rating as high as I can get.

Joan
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/16/07 05:32 PM
Good. I don't usually have a problem ordering from Amazon sellers. I probably should've ordered my copy used, but I'm always tempted by the free shipping. My copy was shipped yesterday, so hopefully I'll get it within 2 weeks (takes a bit longer, since it's going overseas).
Posted By: Rachel_SpanishCult Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/18/07 08:48 PM
My copy is in the post, perhaps I got the 2nd to last one!

I'll be a bit late joining as I'm off to England. It's a real shame that I'm going to Yorkshire but won't have time to visit Whitby.

I'm looking forward to getting the book and joining the discussion.
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/19/07 08:58 AM
Have a great time! I'm so jealous!

And it's a short book, so don't worry about it.
Posted By: joanj Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/20/07 10:03 PM
Got my book today!

Joan
Posted By: Tbunny Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/20/07 10:23 PM
I can't wait to get mine - it's coming from UK so I can't track it, although it says it's been shipped. I'm dying to get it!
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/22/07 12:08 PM
I'm hoping my book makes it here either today or tomorrow. It was shipped out over a week ago from amazon, but it has to travel through the military postal service.

I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. I already review books and I'm a member of a book club, so I have a huge stack to read. Heh.

At least this one is short.
Posted By: drea99 Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/23/07 04:57 PM
Hi everybody,

Just read about this book club thing today, and I'm interested. That is, if I can get hold of a copy of the book! I'm going to start looking around for one.

Andrea
Posted By: Tbunny Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/26/07 04:52 PM
My book arrived!! I'm so excited!
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/26/07 06:25 PM
Still waiting for mine...I thought it would've arrived today, since it takes about a week for stuff to get here from amazon. It's been more than a week now. I bet the mail got held up with all the bad weather in the States in the past week or so.
Posted By: joanj Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/26/07 06:59 PM
That could be. The entire east coast was buried in snow! We had a huge wind storm in texas on Saturday. Looked like Oklahoma blew down here. Even the planes couldn't take off in the afternoon as the dust was hundreds of feet in the air and miles wide. Very strange. The sky was all orange.

HOpe your book comes soon. I've been working on mine off and on this past weekend.

Joan
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/27/07 11:26 AM
How is it so far?
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 02/28/07 10:11 AM
YAY! My book finally arrived today! Can't wait to read it!
Posted By: Rachel_SpanishCult Re: Book Club....another go? - 03/07/07 08:51 AM
I'm back from the UK, my book's here...all set and ready to go.
Posted By: KarynJ Re: Book Club....another go? - 03/07/07 07:03 PM
Okay...just jump into our discussion when you're done. We have spoilers in there, so don't look!
© BellaOnline Forums