BellaOnline
Posted By: Lynn_B Connecting Siblings through Story Telling - 05/08/08 02:27 AM
I have a 3 year old and a 9 year old; and am trying to find new ways for the two to stay connected. They are close--but my eldest is getting to that stage where baby sister isn't quite as "neat" as she once was.

I suggested he keep a notebook of funny/odd things his sister says to explain the way the world works (like when we asked her how Santa's reindeer could fly and why we didn't hear them on the roof when they landed and she replied "Reindeers have grasshoppers on their heads and walk around on their tippy toes"). He's writing them down and then when the whole family gets together he and sister tell the stories together.

Its great fun and its keeping them connected.
That's so sweet!

I have a nephew who is the oldest of all the cousins. He spends time reading with each of his cousins and his sister. There are pictures of him reading with each one.

Cooking may be another way to keep them connected. He can pick a recipe and do the measuring. She can do the dumping and some stirring. They'll end up with a special treat to eat together!
Lynn

I am 10 years older than my first sibling. Yes the baby was neat for a while, but as I became a teen and mom had a few more kids, the neatness did wear off. I babysat them a lot and became almost like another parent to them. We are all adults now and age doesn't matter.

I would suggest making as many family traditions as possible that would involve your kids doing things together. Gardening, carving pumpkins, vacations (or a day at the beach) is all it takes. Removing outside distractions so that the event is just your family will keep the kids close.

hope this helps
Yes, I have noticed that on vacations my kids will play together and actually enjoy each others company, whilst at home they'll ignore each other or even fight.
© BellaOnline Forums