BellaOnline
Posted By: Terrie-Writing Editor How do you change the world? - 02/25/08 10:44 PM
I'm working on some articles on activist writing--writing to change the world. Writing is a great way to bring attention to the issues that matter to you, and so it can help change the world. On the other hand, if everyone wrote or talked, but no one did anything about the subjects they discussed, nothing would really change. The real change happens when people turn off their computer and go to work.

How are you changing the world--both with your keyboard, and in the real hands-on world?

In writing, I help families learn how to create an educational environment in their home, and also to spend quality time with them. In the real world, I oversee a church-sponsored literacy program, and as part of that co-teach a completely free ESL class for recent immigrants.

What are you doing?
Right now, I am helping people by helping to feed them. I am involved in the storehouse ministry at our church which distributes groceries to them twice a month. We hand out well over a thousand pounds of food each time and a couple of times last year we handed out over 3000 pounds twice.

This is good for me because someday I hope to start a rescue mission of sorts with my wife to house and feed people. The main focus will be on single mothers and their children who are hungry and homeless but will turn no one away.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: How do you change the world? - 02/27/08 11:19 PM
I write to bring awareness to people of culture, traditions, arts, crafts, whatever I feel will help someone, somewhere. I am working on a project that I hope will be ready by November, Native American Month, where I can help teach children about the peoples who were here before our own ancestors arrived. Hopefully, I can reach out to some Native American children who are tugged between today's society and their traditional ancestral culture. If I can help one child understand and feel better about their own culture, whatever it is, I will have reached the beginning of my goals. My father always taught us kids about his ancestral culture and folklore in Ireland and also about many traditions and stories he heard from his Native American friends. I want to pass on the attitude he gave me: that everyone has their pride and their rights to be who they are.
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: How do you change the world? - 01/17/18 04:29 PM
I sign petitions (and other actions like that), recycle everything (even tiny things) and make sure not to waste water.
© BellaOnline Forums