BellaOnline
Posted By: bricore Making shampoo - 06/20/08 05:02 PM
My parents came from Ohio to visit me in Alabama. I posted about some of the things we did together.

One of the post is about making shampoo. It's nothing fancy but I like how it cleans. It's a low suds but it does clean (all I used really was soapwort but I still wanted to share it with everyone.)

Here is the post if anyone would like to read it.
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Lynne - ChristianLiving Re: Making shampoo - 06/21/08 12:41 AM
Very interesting. It might be fun to do sometime but it,s a bit more work than I want to put in to my shampoo at the moment.
Posted By: bricore Re: Making shampoo - 06/23/08 01:28 PM
Hello Lynne,
My husband feels the same way..lol..
Really though, all you have to do is either grow the plant (or collect it if it grows wild near you, which is common) take the leaves off, and boil them (let it cool, strain it..and use it.) It's really not hard but then again just driving to the store and buying something already made is easier.
I myself like it but by no means does it replace my Nioxin. One reason I like is because I know just what is in it and it doesn't have a long list of things that I don't have a clue what they are (besides that it has pretty little flowers on them. My Nioxin Shampoo has a VERY long list of things I have never seen before. I think it's over 50 things. I am still wondering what peg-150 is..lol)
Soapwort really is just a mild cleaner but you still don't want to get it in your eyes.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson
Posted By: Lynne - ChristianLiving Re: Making shampoo - 06/23/08 05:01 PM
So all you put in it is Soapwort? (and water)
Posted By: bricore Re: Making shampoo - 06/23/08 06:37 PM
You could add more things if you want (such as Aloe but I like to keep it simple.) Soapwort has been used for years to clean things. It's very gentle. Like I said it's not a DEEP cleaner but it does clean.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Posted By: Lady J Re: Making shampoo - 06/23/08 06:39 PM
well you could always add like grapefruit juice and boil it down as well. The grapefruit would give a deeper clean. just have to be careful if you are colored.. it could strip it
Posted By: Lynne - ChristianLiving Re: Making shampoo - 06/23/08 09:08 PM
Grapefruit juice might be a little acidic but it would leave your hair very shiny.
Posted By: Lady J Re: Making shampoo - 06/23/08 11:04 PM
its a great clarifier. I have a grapefruit clarifying shampoo I love
Posted By: bricore Re: Making shampoo - 06/24/08 02:05 AM
I have never used that myself but I bet it would smell good. wink

Dora Renee' Wilkerson
Posted By: Lynne - ChristianLiving Re: Making shampoo - 06/24/08 02:12 AM
I love grapefruit. I'm afraid I'd be tempted to drink it.
Posted By: bricore Re: Making shampoo - 06/24/08 02:56 PM
..lol.. me too.

I also have read (from the back of my seeds) that you can use Sage as a hair rinse for dark hair (I don't think you'd want to use it on bleached hair or lighter hair because I know it dyes white wool a greenish/grey color.)

We also just made a mouthwash with sage/lemon balm for a lady down the road. Great for canker sores. **I should note it hasn't stained her teeth a funny color but I told her I'd lightly brush after words. smile

Dora Renee' Wilkerson
Posted By: Ninae Re: Making shampoo - 07/07/08 05:25 AM
Honey and lemon juice mixed in warm water makes a wonderful hair rinse. Especially for blond hair, but it works on all hair colours.

You just dilute a small tea spoon of honey (if you have long hair, otherwise you can use less) and the juice of half a lemon in a jug of around two pints of warm water. Pour it over your hair after washing, without rinsing it out, and it will give your hair a nice glossy shine. It also helps your hair dry faster as it seals the cuticles of your hairs and makes them more water-repellent.

www.naturalbeautystore.com
Posted By: FoxyDawn Re: Making shampoo - 07/08/08 04:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Lynne Chapman
I love grapefruit. I'm afraid I'd be tempted to drink it.

lol , funny.
Posted By: Digidemo Re: Making shampoo - 07/08/08 12:11 PM
For hair rinse i prefer to egg on my hair.
© BellaOnline Forums