BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Sell to Dealer vs Sell Yourself - 02/15/13 06:31 PM
I'm just back from CarMax and Toyota. CarMax would give me $1600 for my '04 Forester; Toyota said $3k.

Maybe I should sell it myself on Craigslist. It seems both of these guys are intending just to bring it to an auction. If I get the "end user" sale price that should be more. I was seeing $6000 on craigslist and we're in prime blizzard season which is when it should be popular to buy ...

I'm a bit nervous about all the legal paperwork and such selling it myself though.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell to Dealer vs Sell Yourself - 02/15/13 07:14 PM
I keep reading the title of this thread as "sell yourself to dealer"

:-?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Sell to Dealer vs Sell Yourself - 02/15/13 07:23 PM
LOL the missing noun is "cars" as Cars was already in the forum title smile

I suppose one could read it as selling a car to a dealer for money vs selling yourself out for money wink. I think I'm a little too old for that option though wink.
Posted By: Steve - Cars Re: Sell to Dealer vs Sell Yourself - 02/17/13 09:20 AM
Hi Lisa,

You'll definitely get the most money selling it yourself. You don't need to sell it from home either. That way the buyer wouldn't know how to contact you for any reason.
I sold my wife's car in a Wal-Mart parking lot in less than 30 minutes with multiple interested buyers.
You just need the title to be able to sign it over to the buyer. In addition you just need a bill of sale form which you can get online anywhere. The bill should state selling the car "as is". The only identifier the buyer will have is your name on the title and bill of sale. No address, phone, number, etc.
If you decide to sell on your own, accept ONLY cash, no checks.
Ask for more than you'll accept so you can lower the price. For example, if you want to get $6,000, maybe you ask for $6,500 so you can drop the price when the buyer counteroffers.
And thanks for giving me the idea for my next article! smile
© BellaOnline Forums