BellaOnline
Posted By: BoomerGal Watch 1950's Shows on the Interent - 12/19/08 08:48 PM
I love 1950's TV shows like Father Knows Best. I found some great places to see full episodes on the interent and wrote about them on my blog. If you miss shows like Have Gun Will Travel and Twilight Zone, you can still see them any time.

1950's TV shows on the Internet
Posted By: sundancer Re: Watch 1950's Shows on the Interent - 12/19/08 10:01 PM
Thanks so much for sharing the sites. I am listening to music from the site right now...Great!
And I will pass it on.
Sundancer
www.msgembroidery.com
Posted By: BoomerGal Re: Watch 1950's Shows on the Interent - 12/21/08 01:29 AM
So glad you like it! I didn't realize there were so many great old shows available on the internet.
Posted By: joanj Re: Watch 1950's Shows on the Interent - 01/03/09 08:13 PM
Great sites! I love old TV shows too. I went to the one to watch Father Knows Best. When I was a kid, I wanted to be like Betty. There weren't many teen role models back then.

I signed up for the Retrovision site too and they send updates on new shows available for viewing.
Thanks for the info on old TV shows. I loved watching quite a number of the old shows, and would love to catch them once in a while. We were so excited when we got our first TV and watched so many of the westerns, comedies and variety shows. Certainly was a different era, wasn't it?
Posted By: BoomerGal Re: Watch 1950's Shows on the Interent - 01/07/09 07:09 PM
I remember when our TV was a huge thing that only got one channel - part time at that! When I was a kid, where we lived, there was a 30 minute cartoon each evening at 5:30, like Huckleberry Hound. That was it for kid's programming.

It sure became a different world when someone decided kids could be consumers!
The other day I read a blog post where someone mentioned watching the test pattern. We did that as kids, when we first got our TV, anxiously awaiting for the station to come on.

It is a different world. I'm ticked at the shows that now get cancelled even if they have 7-8 million viewers because it's the wrong age group. A number of "womens shows" are getting cancelled like Women's Murder Club and Lipstick Jungle, among others. So sad!

As the baby boomers move further into their sixties, maybe the demographs will shift.
Posted By: BoomerGal Re: Watch 1950's Shows on the Interent - 01/09/09 11:14 PM
I remember the test patterns! You're so right about women in our age group not being seen as important to advertisers. They market to the all important demographic of the 20's and 30's but actually baby boomers are much more loyal customers.

I read an article that said people working in the advertising industry have no idea how to market to baby boomers so just ignore them. Sad because baby boomers have money to spend too-lol.

I loved Women's Murder Club and the old Murder She Wrote and Diagnosis Murder type shows.
The advertisers say the high-end of the big spenders are 49-year-old. I'm not sure why, unless they are considering women with children buying for their families.

I agree, they don't know how to market - probably because they aren't that old themselves!

I agree with you on all three of those shows you mention.

There was a show, I think in the fifties, that had to do with crime in the city. It was a very gritty show, and I don't remember who the star was, but every once in a while I think of that show. The announcer's voice would come on at the beginning to set the tone for the show.

I think the words naked city were in the title or at least in the description. One night one of the characters got acid thrown in their face and I will never forget that. I know I only watched it on the nights Mom and Dad were at their lodge meeting.

There were really some great shows back then.
Posted By: BoomerGal Re: Watch 1950's Shows on the Interent - 01/18/09 07:24 PM
There was a show called Naked City which aired from 1958 to 1963. Could be that one.

I can remember when old Twilight Zone's were considered too scary for my sister and I to watch. I'd sit in my bedroom and perch on the dresser so I could watch the TV in the mirror-I was supposed to be in bed-lol.
Posted By: sundancer Re: Watch 1950's Shows on the Interent - 01/21/09 11:01 AM
I remember Naked City..my father did not approve of the name..lol
And I loved the Twilight Zone...used to sneak and watch that one too! Today, I hardly watch tv. Mostly read or put a dvd in. I still watch the World War II movies. How about the soap operas? There was one...I think Dark Shadows...about vampires..or was that a little later?
Sundancer
www.msgembroidery.com
I think Naked City is the one. I was probably too young to watch the show, but when Mom and Dad were gone...

Twilight Zone was pretty scary too, but most of the time I would watch it anyway. Every once in a while, I had to stop watching an episode because it scared me, and then would remember the show for days. I was around my early teens at the time.
Sundancer,

I did watch Dark Shadows when it first started - actually watched it quite a while. Then it changed, as many shows do, and I stopped. Was it in the 1970's? Or was it later? Was the woman's name Angelique?
Obviously I am not old enough to have seen those shows during their first run but have enjoyed the re-runs of them. My television viewing really started in the 70's.

Television sure has changed and not in a good way. My fave shows in the 70's were:

All in the Family (that show broke a lot of taboos for television)

MASH

Maude

Adam-12

Emergency

Welcome Back Kotter

Starsky and Hutch

Family Affair

MacMillan and Wife

The F.B.I.

My fave kids shows were:

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters

H.R. PufnStuf with Witchiepoo and the boy who had the talking flute. lol.

Fave reruns of the old 50's and 60's shows are:

The Donna Reed Show and Make Room for Daddy

Does anyone remember a short lived prime time cartoon called "Wait till Your Father Gets Home?" I used to love that as well.
Posted By: sundancer Re: Watch 1950's Shows on the Interent - 01/27/09 11:28 AM
Hi Vance,
Your list of shows made me smile. I still watch Mash reruns. Maude I did not watch much. But, I sometimes catch the Golden Girls on reruns.
Sundancer
www.msgembroidery.com
Posted By: BoomerGal Re: Watch 1950's Shows on the Interent - 01/27/09 02:10 PM
I really liked Donna Reed and Make Room for Daddy.

I used to rush home from school to watch Dark Shadows every afternoon. I rented the first season DVD's about a year ago to watch. They are SO funny now. Muffed lines and mistakes all through.

I did watch an interview with the stars of it too which explained a lot about why it was a rush job. They never dreamed it would get so big.
Vance,

I watched all the shows you listed except the kids shows. All the adult shows were good. I loved Maude and the Golden Girls, and actually all of the above. Yes, All in the Family was definitely a ground-breaking show. I remember so well the controversy the show stirred. That era was such a great time for me and this list brings back many good memories. Thanks for putting it together.

Posted By: joanj Re: Watch 1950's Shows on the Interent - 03/14/09 02:25 PM
I signed up for the email alerts from Retrovision and I see they just got the Barney Miller series from 1975 to 1982. I used to love that show. They also got a 1958 show called the Invisible Man.

If you haven't signed up for the Retrovision alerts and you love old TV shows and movies, you should sign up for the alerts. They are free.
© BellaOnline Forums