BellaOnline
For anyone out there interested in classic films, you all know there are plenty of remakes of these movies... do you like the old version or the newer ones better? Let me know!
I have yet to find a re-make which is as good or better than the original....
I agree that I haven't seen a remake yet that was as good as the original.
I agree. It is rare to find a remake as good or better than the original. The only one I can think of is the 1982 remake of The Thing starring Kurt Russell.

I have been angry seeing remake of some classic films like "Planet of the Apes" and "Flight of the Phoenix", a classic Jimmy Stewart film.
Remakes never work, but they sure cost a lot of money.

Logan's Run (1976) was going to be remade, but the project has been shelved.
Now, I'd like to see a remake of Logan's Run.

I agree though, remakes of already successful films don't seem to be as good.
A new version of Logan's Run might be interesting. The original film was good, but not great. The ending was lousy and did not match that of the book. It would be interesting to see a film that sticks to the book's version of Last Day as being at age 21, not 30 as in the film.
I hate remakes of classic movies! If the movie is good, great or excellent then leave it alone! Remakes should only be for movies that were average, bad, very bad and horrible. I am ashamed to say that when I was younger I made fun of the people that were mad because of the remake of Ocean's Eleven and that I could not understand why they were so mad about it. Well, not too long after there were talks about remaking some of my childhood classics and then I understood them (i even had a flashback of what i said about it and them). Now the young people doing the same thing when going to see the remakes of classic movies will also soon understand when one of their classic is screwed up by a remake!
On the whole I don't like remakes. I think they get made because most younger movie goers don't see the appeal of older, often black & white, movies so producers want to lure them with color, special effects and big stars.

There's the odd exception. I think Alfred Hitchcock was right to remake his own movie 'The Man Who Knew Too Much'. He said something to the effect that the old version was made by a gifted amateur, and the new one by a seasoned professional.

But the 1970s remake of 'The Lady Vanishes', with Cybill Shepherd and Elliot Gould, was beyond awful. They should have left the 1937 Margaret Lockwood / Michael Redgrave version alone.
I have to agree. Remakes are never as good as the original and are usually pretty disappointing. I kind of wish they would leave the classics alone and come up with something new, but I guess a part of me hopes they'll come out with something cool.
I want to see a classic film remade about as much as I would want to have a classic book rewritten.

But I agree that not all films were classics and there is room for improvement.

Very interestingly, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo spawned *two* films. I only saw the Swedish version, which was excellent - actually, better than the book, I thought. However the English one also got excellent reviews. This is unusual! I wonder which one will be considered the classic in years to come.
Usually remakes are not nearly as good as the original ie The Thomas Crown Affair. How can you do any better than Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway?!? That being said I would love to see a remake of Logan’s Run. The book was good, but I think the movie could be improved.
The only remake I like is Imitation of Life. I have seen very few remakes of any genre that I really liked.
I would rather see an old original than a new remake with all the special effects and nonsense that detracts from the story itself.
© BellaOnline Forums