BellaOnline
Posted By: AKLisa- Knitting Editor The AK Geo-Alphabet Game!!! - 04/24/15 02:42 PM
Alaska has some pretty crazy sounding -yet fun- place names.
Let's all brush up on our far north geography - Going in alphabetical order, name a place in Alaska, and the next person can post a place beginning with the next letter of the alphabet.
The use of maps and looking stuff up is highly encouraged - learn more about Alaska with this fun little game!
Here is the first letter
"A" is for Allakaket - a small village north of Fairbanks along with Koyukuk River.
Next up "B"
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: The AK Geo-Alphabet Game!!! - 04/24/15 05:27 PM
Lisa, I've never been to Alaska, and probably won't ever manage it. (Though who knows?)

"B" is for Bethel.

I used to live not very far from a Bethel in Wales. It has less than 1/5 the population of Bethel, Alaska. That there are forces trying to bolster the Yup'ik culture & language is interesting, as Bethel is in a part of Wales that has managed to maintain much of the Welsh culture and language, though it's always a struggle.
Mona, that is some pretty neat comparisons between the two communities! I am often amazed at how similar people all over the world are, and how many of us face the same issues.

"C" is for Chugach, a mountain range visible from Anchorage.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: The AK Geo-Alphabet Game!!! - 04/29/15 03:45 PM
"D" is for Dime Landing.
I wondered if its name really relates to a saying like "can land on a dime" or whether it's named for Mr. Dime, or a corruption of something else. But it has no website, Trip Adviser has no information on it, nor does anyone else. I guess it's small.
Edwardsville, Ks
E is also for Emmonak - a Yupiq alaskan village I ahve had the pleasure of meeting several people from. I have never visited this YukonRiver village.

next letter :"F"
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: The AK Geo-Alphabet Game!!! - 05/12/15 02:40 PM
F is for Fairbanks

Next: G
Goodnews Bay
oh, another place i haven't been!

When imove this summer, I was hoping to take the ferry it wold have taken me right through
H for Haines, Alaska. I have heard there are a lot of eagles there!

next letter is "I"
I - Igiugig

I've never been to AK. I've seen it on t.v. though. smile
Posted By: Wgrace Re: The AK Geo-Alphabet Game!!! - 05/26/15 12:58 AM
D" is for Dime Landing. As I know it's dime land.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: The AK Geo-Alphabet Game!!! - 05/26/15 02:54 AM
J is for Juneau, the capital city

Next: K
© BellaOnline Forums