BellaOnline
Posted By: Jennifer-Creativity Crazy Quilting Newbie - 12/15/12 08:07 AM
Hi all,
I just started (finally) trying to crazy quilt after 10 years of thinking about it, off and on. I can be such a slow starter sometimes!

I started a block tonight that looks a bit like a lop-sided log cabin block. I got the instructions from Instructables and looked to find a more "traditional" looking crazy quilt instructions and they didn't have any.

What hints or tips would you give to a newbie?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Posted By: Judie Quilting Editor Re: Crazy Quilting Newbie - 12/16/12 01:11 AM
Hi Jennifer, great to hear from you. I love crazy patchwork, and delight in all the different motifs and embellishments I can come up with.

I wrote an article about piecing your crazy block and I've also included some diagrams.

Here's the link:

www.bellaonline.com/articles/art23942.asp

Let us know how you get on.
cheerio for now

Posted By: Jennifer-Creativity Re: Crazy Quilting Newbie - 12/26/12 07:12 PM
Hi Judie!
Thanks for the link to the article you wrote! It is very well-written and easy to follow. I think one of the mistakes I was making was not going clockwise around the block. I also run into the problem with having a right angle and needing to cover to opposite seams at a time. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal and I just need to hand-stitch one of the seams down?

Thanks for your help!
Posted By: Judie Quilting Editor Re: Crazy Quilting Newbie - 12/28/12 11:32 PM
The thing is Jennifer, don't let your pieces become right angles. If the do, just cut them straight. As soon as you make a right angle, cut the corner straight and you'll avoid the right angle. Some of my friends include right angles for interest, and then as you suggested, hand applique over the top. Nothing wrong with that either! Remember with crazy patchwork, the rule is...... there's no rules.

Have fun.
Cheerio for now

Posted By: Jennifer-Creativity Re: Crazy Quilting Newbie - 12/31/12 02:37 PM
Hi Judie!
I see what you mean about the right angles. I will give that a try. Thank you!

smile
© BellaOnline Forums