BellaOnline
Posted By: M o e Kids and Holiday Baking / Treats - 12/06/11 08:34 PM
There are so many delicious goodies during the holidays and it is easy to load up or spoil the kids with them. What are you doing to ensure your kids learn proper holiday eating habits when it comes to holiday eating? Do you have a system for sharing family recipes with them so they don't overeat or are you trying something new this year?

Discuss, but be nice about it (meaning this is a size positive forum and anything that comes across as being anti-fat or anti-skinny will be removed).
I was never a cookie baker at the holidays and the kids never became use to junk food around the house. At Christmas I baked a couple of cakes and pies using xylitol and stevia for sweeteners... including cheesecake... using whole grains, real fruit, nuts, lots of eggs, real milk - no condensed milk.

If you don't want your kids to eat it don't buy it. Simple as that.
Treats that did sit around were nuts, roasted and plain, dates, dates stuffed with cream cheese. Wholesome crackers with a variety of homemade dips including hummus and sweet red pepper dips, cheese dips.
Hey M o e!

My girls are waiting for butter to soften as I type. Baking chocolate chip cookies is on the agenda for the day.

We love to bake. We also get invited to a lot of parties. When we attend parties, I do not enjoy stressing about what they are eating (its never food, always the fresh baked goodies) so, I don't.

Instead, I opt for healthier eating habits at home. In addition to helping me bake, they also help me make soup once a week. I require them to drink 3 glasses of water, in the morning, before taking in anything else & there is fruit on the counter every morning. I'm usually good about making sure there is a veggie at lunch (even if lunch is a hot dog, pizza, or a burger) & they must eat it. Often, dinner is only a veggie.

I know it's not perfect health, but it makes me feel better.
© BellaOnline Forums