BellaOnline
Posted By: Pam - Senior Issues When Grandparents Live Far Away - 05/06/14 02:30 AM
Grandparents don't want distance to get in the way of their loving relationships with their grandchildren. What are some ideas for bonding, long distance? Share them here, and check out the Senior Issues site for more ideas!
use FaceTime or Skype regularly ...
Posted By: Gordon Barlow Re: When Grandparents Live Far Away - 05/13/14 01:10 PM
My granddaughters are *supposed* to be learning English at school - and they do pick it up where they left off, twice a year when we're with them. But they aren't comfortable using it on Skype. They live in Norway, and our son has always spoken only Norwegian to them. We'll be over there in a few weeks, and we can do enough hugging to last us all another six months!
Gordon, it's got to be hard being that far away! I'm glad you get to see them twice a year! Your upcoming trip sounds exciting. Do you speak Norwegian to them?
FaceTime and Skype have enhanced many a relationship! I also love good old fashioned letters. I've always loved writing and receiving letters, but they're rare these days and even more special because of that.
Posted By: Gordon Barlow Re: When Grandparents Live Far Away - 03/01/15 12:46 PM
We've just had our Norwegian granddaughters (aged 14 and 11) staying with us for two weeks, with their father (our son). Bliss, as you can imagine. They come over here every winter and we go over there every summer. They love the swimming here, especially at the little cove half a mile away from where we live. This visit they learnt to Scuba-dive. Only a resort-course, but next time they will probably want to take the full course so they can dive regularly with their Dad, who has been diving since he was 13.
Posted By: Sheryl T Re: When Grandparents Live Far Away - 03/01/15 03:58 PM
Email, Skype, a Berlitz course or Rosetta, handwritten letters, anything that says you are valuable and unforgettable to me.
Posted By: Gordon Barlow Re: When Grandparents Live Far Away - 03/01/15 04:17 PM
Daisy. A warning, here. I did a one-week Berlitz course in Norwegian a few years ago in Oslo - cost 2000 pounds - and it was entirely useless for the purpose of communicating with my granddaughters. The Company had a rigid syllabus that focussed on business travellers' needs - how to order at restaurants and book into hotels, that sort of thing. A complete waste of money, I'm sorry to say. Other Berlitz offices may be more practical, of course, but I can only speak of my own experience!
Posted By: Sheryl T Re: When Grandparents Live Far Away - 03/01/15 04:33 PM
There's a site named italki.com . You can hire a tutor and do facetime with them for just about any language and the talk is conversational not business. You can also teach on that site and list your own wage for the time used.
I love that idea especially, since it also forces us to become electronically up to date!
I didn't know about that-great to know! Thanks so much for sharing!
Sounds like you had a wonderful time, in spite of the language issues. I'm so glad you have found a way to stay closely connected. The memories you create now will last for generations, so keep it up!
© BellaOnline Forums