BellaOnline
Posted By: Megan M Assisi Embroidery - 01/15/12 08:20 AM
Assisi embroidery is also known as voided work or reserva, and is one of the monochromatic family of embroidery techniques. If you can do cross stitch, you can do Assisi!

Assisi Embroidery
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Assisi Embroidery - 01/15/12 08:36 AM
This is a wonderful article, Megan. At first I could not quite get the concept, then looking at the design you stitched made it clear for me. That is beautifully stitched work.

I have so many projects to complete this winter, but your articles make me want to get my embroidery basket and start something beautiful.

I have never tried the Assisi embroidery before, but am anxious to do so. This would work great with some Native American designs I have in mind. Thank you for this article.
Posted By: Megan M Re: Assisi Embroidery - 01/15/12 09:01 AM
Oh yes - I think you're right about it working with Native American designs, Phyllis! I've seen a number of quill work pieces that rely on the voided technique for their design.

I always have way too many ideas and not enough time to stitch! And every time I sit down to stitch, I seem to get distracted! (usually by research into historical forms or designs).

I'm glad you liked my piece. It was stitched as a gift, so all I have is the photo.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Assisi Embroidery - 01/15/12 09:10 AM
Do you draw your own designs or use patterns? I usually create my own designs for embroidery and beadwork.
Posted By: Megan M Re: Assisi Embroidery - 01/15/12 09:14 AM
Unfortunately, althouh my father was a very talented artist, I can't draw at all. I use patterns and then work from there.

It's fortunate that I do know a lot of art theory so that does tend to hold me in good stead when I change things in patterns (eg: stitch type, colour and sometimes placement).

I'd love to be able to draw well enough to design my own embroideries.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Assisi Embroidery - 01/15/12 09:25 AM
Most Native American designs are geometrical, unless you get into the Woodland tribal designs, which are floral and intricate patterns.

I took art design, so the geometrical is easy for me -- ruler and pencil is about all I have to depend on. The tribal colors are only two or three colors.

That is why I thought the Assisi method would work well with Native American design.

I also like to go through old embroidery design books and pick up antique designs. If I can trace it, I can embroider it. smile
Posted By: Megan M Re: Assisi Embroidery - 02/04/12 02:47 AM
You are 100% right about that, Phyllis! I also subscribe that if I can trace it or chart it, I can embroider it!!
Posted By: oliviia Re: Assisi Embroidery - 09/29/12 02:19 PM
very interesting article,I have never tried the Assisi embroidery before,but I'll sure think about it :)
© BellaOnline Forums