BellaOnline
Posted By: Sharon - Wealth Editor Can you ever be too rich? - 03/13/08 07:09 PM
I heard someone say once once that they didn't want to be too rich.

What's too rich? Can you ever be too rich?

Posted By: earthlydream Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 03/13/08 08:38 PM
No! Even if you had billions & trillions -you can do alot with that money & share it. I would donate to nature & wiildlife conservation.
Posted By: Sharon - Wealth Editor Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 03/14/08 01:23 PM
Good positive way of thinking, earthydream.

I grew up hearing relatives saying, "Why should you make a lot of money, you'll just have to pay more taxes."

Anyone else hear something like that?
Posted By: BoomerGal Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 03/14/08 01:35 PM
My sister and her husband talk like that all the time. He's self-employed and of course, the more he makes, the more taxes he pays. With someone self-employed too you have to come up with all of it at once if you haven't saved through the year-also the self-employment tax is a killer!

However, I keep telling her I'd rather make more money and pay more taxes-or find more deductions!

Before we got into LOA, my husband used to say "I don't want a lot of money, just enough to be comfortable." I finally convinced him this was NOT prosperity thinking. We ARE comfortable, we aren't starving and we can pay our bills, so the Universe thinks we are already "comfortable" and nothing more will come our way.

Now he says "There are checks in the mailbox!"
Posted By: sunshinehappy Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 03/14/08 09:45 PM
How can you be too rich? Look at all the good you can do with your wealth!

I agree with Green1 - focusing on the positives attracts even more positives into your life. You'll have your eyes open for the positive things instead of worrying about the negatives.

Wealth is a mind-set too.
Posted By: Lady J Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 03/14/08 10:11 PM
Personally I don't think a person can be too rich. There is so much you can do with money. however, you can be too stingy, too pig-headed, too greedy ;0)
Posted By: chloe21 Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 03/15/08 12:31 AM
I like to think of all of the billionaires and millionaires out there and how much they donate to charity. I don't think that you can be too rich when it gives you the opportunity to help others.
Posted By: doggiemom Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 03/19/08 10:08 PM
I think you can't be too rich. The more you have, the more you can do for your family, friends and community.

I'm ready to be rich and see how it feels!
Of course you can't be too rich.... having said that we have too much money (not rich though!) because we're not frugal enough and don't have to think too hard before we buy most things. If we were more frugal we could have no mortgage for instance!!!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 03/19/08 10:40 PM
I was actually afraid to come into this thread (although I saw it on the sidebar a few times) because I was afraid it would be rich-bashing. I feel very strongly that if someone works hard, they deserve to have control over the income they therefore bring in.

That is, some friends of mine think there should be a top income cap (say $100,000) and that all money earned after that should go to the government to distribute. But my argument is that 1) people would just stop working if that were true, and we would lose a lot of productivity, and that 2) why in the world would we feel the government would do a better job of distributing the money better than a skilled, talented person would? I would MUCH rather trust the average high end executive to make the right decisions than I would trust the average government worker who is "spending someone else's money".

Look at all of the amazing foundations which have been set up by wealthy people which do FAR more good than the government could even if the government had 10 times the money. The people who earned the money have an incentive to spend their hard-earned cash in a way that makes the most effect. The government has no incentive at all.

I feel pretty strongly about this smile But I am libertarian and feel individuals tend to decide best about their own lives. I don't feel the government does as well. I always try to balance my bills so I can donate as much to charity as possible - but *I* choose my charities and I work hard to choose them wisely. I would not want the government choosing for me.
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 03/20/08 12:23 AM
Sometimes I think that wealthy people are discriminated against. There are a lot of people who feel that the wealthy should be taxed at a higher percentage than other people; indeed that is the way taxes are generally set up. But is this really fair? There are an awful lot of people who work hard and risk a lot to make their fortunes. Many of these people are deserving of the wealth they have accumulated. Why should they pay a higher percentage than anyone else?

Note: I am not wealthy.
Posted By: earthlydream Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 03/20/08 05:18 PM
I agree with bad govt spending Lisa. They are truly corrupt! US is turning into a dictatorship, that's why we are having this crazy inflation & resession.

I think people are feeling the weight of their irresponsible spending & ridiculous rules.

Hopefully average people & corporations will act responcibly & also help grow & make ourselves successful & wealthy. We should be happy & wealthy as a rich abundant nation.

Individuals make up the feel of a nation & over taxing & price gauging is not a good idea. Every one wants the best for their communities & the earth.
An interesting viewpoint Lisa. We all love to hate Bill Gates for Microsoft but the man earns my respect because he is doing so much philanthropy giving away many of his billions. Richard Branson is also another I admire for his tenatious ability to make good out of bad. I had an employer who had more money than most and he gave many donations willingly. It was only once we had enough money to do the same, and a happy life that I realised that we do it because we are so grateful for our own comfortable status in life. I do not begrudge anyone a cent who has worked hard for it.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 04/03/08 08:53 AM
I think it's also important to remember that pretty much all of us here are far wealthier than most of the world. Most of the world population wise lives in very tiny homes, with only a few pairs of clothes, with a very limited diet. So we are all already "wealthy" in many peoples' eyes. They would dream of a luxury life like ours ...
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 04/04/08 03:38 PM
I have to agree with you, Lisa. I feel truly lucky to have what I have since it is an awful lot compared to some other people in the world.
No I do not think so, but it does depend what you do with your money. As a christian I belive the rich will be accountable to how they spend and how they have earned their money, like us all.
because they get out of paying taxes by going to haven. Over here the rich do not get taxed the same because the goverment want to keep the rich from leaving and living in tax have countries, so he does not tax them the same. That is not fair, it is unjust. We ARE paying the price here. Some of us can no longer get mortgages because of how the mega rich made their money, through debt selling. They do not suffer, they sold the debt. But WE are. my husband and I cannot get a good mortgage deal since the crash at Northern Rock, neither Can thousands of others. This IS criminal.AND there is no accountability for the rich who have done this. If it was fairly earned i would not be angry, but unfairness and corruption I hate.
Posted By: Sikpicksie Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 04/17/08 01:14 AM
No.You can't have too much money! The more you have,the more lifestyle options you and your family have and the more you can help others. The more you give, the more you receive. The more you receive, the more you give.
The more that you have, the more you are able to help those that don't have the wherewithall or the ability to help themselves.

Sikpiksie
Posted By: Sikpicksie Re: Can you ever be too rich? - 04/17/08 01:28 AM
Nicola Jane wrote....."Over here the rich do not get taxed the same because the goverment want to keep the rich from leaving and living in tax have countries, so he does not tax them the same. That is not fair, it is unjust. Some of us can no longer get mortgages because of how the mega rich made their money, through debt selling. They do not suffer, they sold the debt. But WE are. my husband and I cannot get a good mortgage deal since the crash at Northern Rock, neither Can thousands of others. This IS criminal.AND there is no accountability for the rich who have done this. If it was fairly earned i would not be angry, but unfairness and corruption I hate".....

This is not the fault of those who are rich though. They are simply taking advantage of a tax break (albeit an unjust one) that the Government is offering them.

Sikpiksie

© BellaOnline Forums