BellaOnline
Anyone who has been role playing long enough has probably played in most genres...fantasy, medieval, science fiction, space opera, spy games, horror, etc, etc.

What's your favorite genre, and why?

I'll go first...most of my role playing over the years has been in fantasy settings, but my favorite is probably space opera. I've always been a fan of that sort of story, and have a lot of fun playing characters in those settings.

A very close second is horror games, primarily Call of Cthulhu. It's a lot of fun to go into a game knowing that your character will probably die or go insane. Takes a lot of the pressure off, so you can just enjoy playing, and be pleasantly surprised if your character survives.

Posted By: njtriant Re: What's Your Favorite Genre To Play In? - 03/02/08 02:19 PM
Well i haven't got that much experience in variety but i think that fantasy/horror was my thing. I really enjoy the intruege settings as well- that is why i play l5r. The setting has all these. My players, if they are reading this, can attest in that : we mostly play horror stories with a huge dose of mystery. Ninjas ( the equivalent of alliens, no one thinks they are true but everyone knows they exist ) the horrors of the shadowlands ( with their eternal good vs evil theme which takes the struggle beyond the norm ) as well the extremes that society leads people to are my favorites. OK i will admit i always had a soft spot for the shadowlands stories because they were the ones where pcs could really play out the hero gig in its fullness.
I really like basic fantasy, the Lord of the Rings type of environment. I could play that for years smile
Posted By: GamerGrrl Re: What's Your Favorite Genre To Play In? - 03/03/08 09:01 PM
I love "Land of Og." It's a caveman RPG. There is a word list and depending on what you roll, you can know 1 or up to 6 (I think) of those words. Which, is only helpful if the other cavemen know the same words as you... Most of them are words like, "Big," "Smelly," "Ugly," "Ugh!" "Run!" "Ow," etc. The 17th word on the list, however, is "Verisimilitude." Invariably, someone always ends up with that word...
© BellaOnline Forums