BellaOnline
Posted By: Watcher What are the risks with Novasure? - 04/14/07 02:28 PM
Being I am scheduled to get this done, I was wondering what doctors have told you about "risks" regarding this procedure. All I was told was that it sometimes did not work, but it did have a high percentage of success. I was also told that it helps to prevent having a hysterectomy. Does Novasure increase risks for other things? My pre-op tests (i.e. ultrasound) are clear.
Posted By: TRA Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 04/24/07 08:26 PM
Though my DR told me there were really no risks, I thought I may share my story. I really wish I had talked to someone before I had the procedure done. Immediately after the surgery, I bled for 32 days, and was later told by my DR that I "had an unusually shaped" uterious and that the procedure did not work for me. My periods since the procedure have been 12-14 days long and completely life ruling. I moved right after Christmas and life has been quite busy, so I have not been back to the DR, but three weeks ago I finally went to my annual appointment and was told that my uterious in now the size of a 30 week pregnancy ! The fibroids and everything else have completely grown wild since the Novasure and now I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy in three weeks. I wish I had never had the Novasure. My periods before were 7-9 days long and were bearable for most of the time. I now have no choice but to have a Hysterectomy.
Posted By: sl207 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 05/07/07 05:22 PM
I ended up having a hysterectomy about 10 months after my procedure.
Posted By: Watcher Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 05/10/07 12:45 AM
TRL & sl207 I am so sorry to hear of the problems you had. My sister's friend, who went to a different doctor than hers, had the same thing happen to her as you both sound. However, what we found out was that her doctor did not do an "ultra sound" on her uterus prior to the Novasure procedure. I had one done and when I asked what the purpose the the sonogram was for my doc told me it was to check for fibroids and/or cysts in the wall or lining. My sisters' friend's doc never did that. I am about 3 weeks post op now and seem to be doing fine. I am curious how my next cycle will be.
Posted By: MoniB Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 05/25/07 08:07 AM
I was reading about Novasure on their site and there it stated that

"the following adverse effects could occur or have been reported:
* Thermal injury to adjacent tissue
* Perforation of the uterine wall
* Post-ablation tubal sterilization syndrome
* Air or gas embolism
* Complications with pregnancy (Note: Pregnancy following endometrial ablation is very dangerous for both the mother and the fetus)
* Infection or sepsis
* Complications leading to serious injury or death"
Posted By: rarely798 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 06/18/07 03:03 AM
I had the novasure for heavy and frequent beeding 11/06, things went fine until the following march, I then began having the worst pains of my life, was in the hospital 3 days every test in the world, they said I had the flu. The pain came and went for the next 6 mos. My GYN said everything was fine in my uterus, so I kept having tests for everything else. Finally found a DR. who saw the problrm severe endromitris, which was leaving my uterues and attaching to other organs. I ended up with a hystromecty, my appendicx out, and bowels reconstructed, I has comlecations from the hystand almosd died, please don't get a novasure, look elsewhere, I wish i had never done it. Good Luck
Posted By: JackieMarie Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 07/21/07 06:14 AM
Hi all, I am 41 and I am scheduled for this procedure for 8/17/07, and I am a little nervous. I really don't think I need this done, but I have been having some severe lower back pain with my periods, and I have been clotting alot lately. My periods have always went for 7 days. After reading some articles in this forum, I just think that a hysterectomy would be best. I have never been one for pain. I also don't want to gain any more weight. I just lost 8 lbs. I'd hate to gain it back. Any opinions would be helpful. good luck to all of u
Posted By: Janifer Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 07/22/07 05:12 PM
Hi! I have been reading everything to do with this procedure. I have had a pre-op ultra sound with my Dr. She saw one small fibroid, it was a long ultra sound and I felt comfortable with how it went. I decided to have the NovaSure, now I'm wondering if I have made the wrong choice? The pain? The bloating? Hysterectomy? Has anyone had a GOOD experience with this procedure?
Posted By: michie Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 02/08/08 03:11 PM
on the Novasure website nothing was mentioned about having a D&C done before the actual procedure. Can anyone tell me if this needs to be done. My Doctor said that he performs D&C's before each edometrial ablation no matter what the type. Haven't seen any info about it.

Thanks
Posted By: navymom5 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 08/02/08 04:37 AM
did you have your tubes tied? i'll post my story on line shortly. my summary - i had tubal ligation, then novasure (uterus ablation), then diagnosed with adenomyosis, now i have more side effects. I think it all started with getting my tubes tied. i just wanted to ask you that question.
Posted By: dmichelle Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 08/08/08 01:48 PM
Yes, I got a D&C first then the Novasure. But both were done on the same day. One procedure immediately follows the other while you're out. You won't feel a thing!
Posted By: greetings Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 08/12/08 01:43 AM
Hi,
I had this procedure done 3 months ago and am very happy with the results. My doctor insisted that I get an abdominal and vaginal ultrasound to check for fibroid tumors first. She said the procedure would not work if you had tumors. It only aggravates them. And causes more bleeding issues. I was warned that I would have a yucky discharge for about 6 weeks and I did. But it wasn't a big deal compared to the heavy periods I had. And each month my period has gotten lighter and shorter. I've also had the added bonus of losing weight and 2 sizes since I got it done because I am not wiped out during my period anymore. I keep exercising and having more energy than usual now that my periods aren't so bad. Hope this info helps. From what I have read, the people who have problems are the ones who have fibroid tumors. So I don't know if you would want to go through with it or not.
Posted By: Raea Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 09/09/08 09:18 PM
Hi all... It seems as though this is an ongoing thing here. I too am searching the Internet in an attempt to locate information regarding pregnancy AFTER a tubal ligation and the Novasure procedure.

My last period was in April 2008. All of them since my last child (born April 2000) have been horrible. Heavy bleeding, severe clotting (the size of golf balls), and lasting anywhere from 5 to 10 days. Also very sporadic. However, that was all prior to having the Novasure procedure done in May 2008.

Immediately following the procedure I had a rather nasty discharge for approximately 4 days and since then, nothing.

My tubal ligation was done on the day of my daughter's birth, which was April 3, 2000. I had a C-section. Now I have been reading that the risk of getting pregnant after tubal ligation increases if you have it done via C-section.

Anyway, in summary... I had a tubal ligation in April 2000 and D & C and the Novasure (Uterine ablation) in May 2008. Oh, and by the way... They also removed a Teratoma tumor from my right ovary and some fibroid cysts from my uterine wall at the time of the Novasure procedure.

About a week ago, I noticed that my breasts were feeling just a bit tender. Not really sore, just a little tender...

Then, last Friday I noticed that they were really hurting and feeling heavier and fuller than normal. Putting on my bra is difficult at best... I am a Double D normally, but the cups are tighter than usual and squeezing them in there is painful!

Then, a few days ago I started noticing that I have been having indigestion really bad. Alka-Seltzer, my normal savior when it comes to heartburn and upset stomach isn't working well at all!

Yesterday I started having an uncomfortable feeling in my lower abdomen. At first I thought I might be constipated but as it turns out, I am not. However, I am still having the uncomfortable feeling in my lower abdomen and now its being accompanied by some nausea as well. Nothing major, and barely noticeable, but nausea nonetheless. Not to mention, today I am experiencing some dizziness as well.

So I guess I am wondering the same things as a lot of you... Is it possible to get pregnant after these procedures? I know the risk of pregnancy increases as more time passes since the tubal ligation, but I assumed the Novasure would DECREASE my risk exponentially.

Can ANYONE provide any tangible evidence or suggestions as to what I might do at this point? I got pregnant with my daughter while I was on Birth Control pills so I know I VERY fertile. Hence the procedures...

Now I am mostly worried because of my age and the risks associated with pregnancy after Novasure. I love children and would love to have a child with my fiance', but our age and the risk factors scare me.

Also, I would LOVE to hear the rest of your story Navymom5....
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 09/09/08 09:40 PM
Welcome to all the newbies, hope you all enjoy your stay
"Rosie"
Posted By: charlenef Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 09/10/08 01:07 PM

Important Information about Pregnancy after Endometrial Ablation

Can I still get pregnant after an endometrial ablation? The answer is YES. A reliable method of birth control must be used to avoid this.
Here is a paragraph from the book, A Gynecologist's Second Opinion: The Questions and Answers You Need to Take Charge of Your Health by William H. Parker, M.D., with Rachel L. Parker, Contributions by Ingrid A. Rodi, M.D. and Amy E. Rosenman, M.D.

"Once the lining cells of the uterus are destroyed by the procedure, there is no place for a developing fetus to attach within the uterus. If some cells remain following an ablation, there exists the rare possibility of pregnancy occuring. If pregnancy were to occur, termination would most likely be recommended as doctors are concerned that without adequate cells lining the inside of the uterus, the placenta would grow directly into the muscle wall of the uterus and take hold like the roots of a tree. As a result, the placenta would not be able to separate at the time of delivery, and hemorrhage could occur. This procedure is not a form of birth control and another method of birth control must still be used to avoid pregnancy."

From OBGYN.net:

"Ablation does NOT provide reliable birth control, since ovulation still takes place as before, and the uterine lining may be receptive to a pregnancy. Second, pregnancy in general should not be elected after an ablation; in fact, it can be dangerous. The procedure can cause changes in the uterus that make pregnancy potentially hazardous to the mother, including possible complications such as uterine rupture and placenta accreta (a placenta that becomes "stuck" to the uterus and cannot be removed, causing potentially life-threatening bleeding). Because of the potential problems with future pregnancies, it is generally recommended that reliable birth control, including male or female sterilization, be considered in women who undergo ablations. Please discuss this further with your doctor."

Posted By: gill31 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 10/07/08 09:57 PM
My uterous was perfurated
Posted By: Spunky Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 10/09/08 01:07 AM
I just joined this site because I was researching info about Novasure. I don't know how I found this site but glad I did.

I'm due to have this on Monday, Oct 13. I, like most women on here, have heavy bleeding and basically, have to shut down my life for about 5-8 days till it ends. I had a tubal 15 years ago, and had an IUD inserted two months ago, to see if that would stop the bleeding. Today, after having the same amount of bleeding as if I was on my period for the past two months, I insisted on the IUD being removed. My emotions had been shot at this point.

I have fibroid tumors but they're small.

After reading some of the comments on here, I'm scared now to have Novasure.
Posted By: Huricn Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 10/27/08 11:19 PM
Raea, you should probably POAS.

I had NovaSure on Sep. 18 and have yet to stop bleeding. It' sbeen mostly spotting, but I've had several days of heavy bright red blood.

My insurance company insisted that I get NovaSure done before a hysterectomy because of my age (like it really matters). I had a D&C before NovaSure and a sonogram at my follow up two weeks ago. The endometrium is growing back, not just in my uterus, but on my cervix as well. My uterus is also lined with a bunch of liquid-filled sacs. I have PCOS as well.

This has been a nightmare for me, and if the bleeding weren't bad enough, the cramping makes it even worse.
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 10/28/08 10:26 AM
Newbies, welcome to the forum, hope yous enjoy your stay!
Posted By: dmichelle Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 10/28/08 01:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Raea
About a week ago, I noticed that my breasts were feeling just a bit tender. Not really sore, just a little tender...

Then, last Friday I noticed that they were really hurting and feeling heavier and fuller than normal. Putting on my bra is difficult at best... I am a Double D normally, but the cups are tighter than usual and squeezing them in there is painful!

Then, a few days ago I started noticing that I have been having indigestion really bad. Alka-Seltzer, my normal savior when it comes to heartburn and upset stomach isn't working well at all!

Yesterday I started having an uncomfortable feeling in my lower abdomen. At first I thought I might be constipated but as it turns out, I am not. However, I am still having the uncomfortable feeling in my lower abdomen and now its being accompanied by some nausea as well. Nothing major, and barely noticeable, but nausea nonetheless. Not to mention, today I am experiencing some dizziness as well.

First I want to say that I am not ruling out the possibility that you might be pregnant but I want you to know that these are the symptoms I get with my period every month. Some months are worse than others. I don't bleed anymore (this month I spotted for two days) but I do get these exact same feelings in my stomach and breasts, then it's over in five to ten days.

I would still call your doctor.
Posted By: JMurray Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 01/06/09 03:19 AM
I have never posted before, so I hope this works. I am now scared. I had the Novasure procedure done on 12/30/08 with no ultrasound as some of you mentioned. A week later I am leaking urine for the past three days. Has anyone experienced this after the procedure?
Posted By: charlenef Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 01/06/09 11:21 PM
i have had a problem with the feeling of having to pee all the time it was from the muscle in my leg pulling my bladder i still get it every now and then 9 month out
Posted By: dmichelle Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 01/07/09 07:49 PM
I thought I was leaking urine because it was yellow. It was an infection. Call the doctor.
Posted By: JMurray Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 01/09/09 02:31 AM
I saw the doctor yesterday and she assured me there was no way she could have damaged my bladder unless she perforated my uterus which she claims she didn't. She said the Novasure procedure couldn't be done if the uterus is perforated because one of its safeguards is an airtight seal. She claims that I just feel like I am leaking urine, but it is actually a very liquidy substance that is coming from my uterus. I felt relieved yesterday when she told me this, but..... Today I am now scared again because it really feels like I leaking urine when I move a certain way. ex: when I bend to pick up one of my children. I was told not to use tampons until the bleeding completely stops. If I used a tampon, it would be easy to tell where the fluid is coming from. I really feel it is urine because the pad is saturated in the front. Did anyone else have this very watery substance that she is referring to? My blood is very light to brownish yellow. It is the clear/yellow fluid that is saturating my pad that I am very scared about.
Posted By: dmichelle Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 01/09/09 01:43 PM
J, Did you ask her to do a culture to check for an infection?

I had the watery discharge for a month, I felt the same way, that I was leaking urine. You can't feel anything happening when you are used to tampons. Having to wear a pad is a totally different yucky feeling, you feel every little thing falling, and it does creep one out. Certain movements will cause a little gush, especially after a period of sitting or laying down.

I am concerned about the yellow...like I said I had an infection, once I used the medication the yellow went away, pink was normal.
Posted By: muriel73 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 01/17/09 03:58 AM
I had Novasure on 01/14/09. When can I expect to feel better? My Dr. told me two to three days. Is that true?
Posted By: charlenef Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 01/17/09 01:52 PM
most women take a month although some feel better sooner. ive only come across a few that feel better in a couple of days so dont count on it.
Posted By: muriel73 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 01/17/09 10:43 PM
Thanks charlenef. I don't feel well enough to go to work on Monday like the Dr. said. I think that the Novasure website is misleading. I quess it was to good to be true.
Posted By: charlenef Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 01/18/09 11:33 PM

~ Post-Op Comfort Tips ~

REST REST REST and when you get tired of resting, take a nap. wink

Watch some of your favorite movies.

Read a good book.

Read a good magazine.

Go to bed when you get home and be pampered.

Let your spouse/relative/good friend, wait on you hand and foot if possible. Remember, even though an endometrial ablation is a minor surgery, it is still surgery, so soak up all the help you can get.

Use your heating pad for any cramping you may experience.

If given pain medication, make sure to take it before the pain starts - stay on top of the pain.

Avoid lifting - I know that many doctors say that you can lift all you want, but mine said no and I have read countless posts in the Discussion Forums of this Web Site where women lift things and they end up having problems.

When you return to work - do so on a modified schedule if you can.

No tampons and no intercourse for as long as the doctor says to avoid...this prevents infection. Take that very seriously and LISTEN to your doctor.

You may want to keep track of your bleeding for the first three to four months post endometrial ablation. It is a good way to 'show' your doctor just how much blood loss is occurring. Here is a chart you can print out and use: Bleeding Assessment Diary

Don't be afraid to call and ask your doctor any questions/concerns you may have.

~ The Most Common Questions Women Ask ~

What is this clear fluid I am passing?
This is called serous fluid and it is very normal. Most women get it, however, some do not. The reason it occurs is because when the uterine lining is destroyed, it 'weeps' this fluid and this is a sign of healing. Say you get a burn on your arm, as it starts to heal, it will 'weep' a clear liquid to heal, the same applies after an endometrial ablation due to the destruction of the endometrium.

When will my post-op bleeding/discharge stop?
It varies so much among women. Some get nothing {rare} and some get it for up to six weeks, I heard from a few women that had it a bit longer. I had it for about two or three weeks.

When can I resume intercourse?
Listen to what your doctor tells you. I was told to wait for six weeks because I had a D&C along with my endometrial ablation. Some women are told to wait until their bleeding/discharge stops, some are told to resume at two weeks, some at four weeks, etc. It differs so much, so please always follow your doctor's orders to the letter.

When can I wear tampons again?
This is up to your doctor. I have heard anywhere from two to six weeks, give or take a week.

Will I gain weight from the endometrial ablation?
Some women have reported bloating which has lasted them for a few weeks post-endometrial ablation, but no lasting weight gain from the endometrial ablation that I have ever heard of.

Will my PMS change after the endometrial ablation ~ get better or worse?
It can, however, because the ovaries are not touched, it is not supposed to have any affect on PMS. Some women report an increase in PMS while some women say their PMS is much better.

Why am I still experiencing cramps so far into my recovery?
You will still cycle and there is such a thing as a blood-less period - if there is nothing to shed - then nothing gets shed but your hormones still jump start the uterus to cramp into action so to speak.

Why am I still getting periods, I thought an endometrial ablation makes them stop?
Endometrial Ablations are performed to eliminate or reduce bleeding from the uterus. Women who have had a successful endometrial ablation will have light to normal periods, and some women will have no menstrual bleeding at all. For example - if you fall down and skin your knee on the ground, that skin or scar is a little bit tougher than the other skin on your body. Endometrial ablations aim to 'toughen up' the endometrium, that's where the bleeding comes from. So if there's less or no endometrium then there's going to be less or no bleeding.

I assumed that my next period would come 28 days (my cycle length) after my last period. Is that the assumption that the next period arrives on schedule or does the endometrial ablation set the clock somehow? Or is it just, anything could happen, have to wait and see?
Endometrial ablations do not stop the ovaries from functioning, therefore, you will still have your period when it is due, BUT in order to have a period that includes discharge (blood) you must also have a lining to shed ~ in the case of D&C's and endometrial ablations - that lining for the most part is gone (at least in the initial stages ~ it should be) thus any period that you have would only be shedding what is left in your uterus - post-op remnants and fluid from the uterus trying to heal.

What we see in a period flow is the lining of the uterus being expelled ~ depending on hormones, state of uterus, functioning of ovaries, etc., that is what is expelled during a period - once your body starts to decrease it's production of progesterone and the levels of estrogen start to increase again, the lining stops it's shedding action and starts once again to rebuild itself. A D&C or endometrial ablation would remove the lining for the most part - that is the reason that many ladies are given Lupron prior/or their endometrial ablations are scheduled when the lining is at it thinnest (right after their periods) - the doctors then have less "stuff" to deal with. Afterward the majority of that lining is gone. Your ovaries may very well be sending a signal to the uterus that it is time for a period - that is why you may continue to get PMS symptoms (brought on by hormones) but with your endometrial ablation being so recently - there should not be that much lining left to flow - so to speak! And lastly if you did have Lupron prior to your endometrial ablation - the hormone cycles are really going to be messed up for a while.

When will my final result become apparent?
This can take 3-4 months up to a full year for your final bleeding pattern to 'settle in'. Be patient as some women have some very odd bleeding patterns those first few months post-op, and sadly, some 'assume' their ablations 'didn't help' as they do not give this enough time. The body needs to get back on course and this does take time so PLEASE BE PATIENT and don't give up - give the endometrial ablation time to see if it will indeed offer you relief. Be sure to ask your doctor about this.

Posted By: angelndscz Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 08/12/09 01:37 AM
Reference this post: "Thanks charlenef. I don't feel well enough to go to work on Monday like the Dr. said. I think that the Novasure website is misleading. I quess it was to good to be true." Are you not feeling well due to the Novasure or the anesthesia? Everyone reacts differently to anesthesia which has nothing to do with the procedure itself.
Posted By: charlenef Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 08/12/09 10:48 PM
Novasure hormones can go nuts for months in my case I wanted sex all the time (TMI) some women get depressed or can fly off the handle.My pain was intense for a good 24hr then it went down to just crampy and [censored] feeling.
Posted By: merryjoy22 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 10/16/09 02:44 AM
Hi- I am a newbie that just stumbled upon this thread via a Google search. Hello all! I am 47 years old and scheduled for a D&C and Novasure on Oct. 30, 2009. I have been bleeding approximately 22-24 days per month w/merely 3-6 days off per month for approximately 10 years now. It got so bad in mid June, I had to go in for an emergency transfusion as my hemoglobin count was 7.7 out of 14. Well, that finally had me prioritizing myself. I've had two ultrasounds, pap and biopsy and no cause has been found. I do recall that in 1998, within a six month period, I gained 65 lbs and have never no matter what I do been able to get it off. Prior to this I'd had all four children and my youngest was eight at the time of the weight gain so the cause has always been a mystery. I'm doing some reading on excessive bleeding and they say there could be a tie to the thyroid. Could it be as simple as that? In reading different posts, I'm reading that you should not have Novasure until results of the D&C are returned to rule out cancer in the area of the uterine lining that cannot be detected. Also, that if you've had a C-section, you should not have Novasure--my first pregnancy was a "C" with the following three natural. I am also reading some pretty scary stuff about cramping continuously afterwords and bleeding. Okay, now I'm unsure. Has anyone had Novasure that's had a C-section? How 'bout the D&C issue and the waiting prior to Novasure? Should I cancel the whole thing and have my thyroid checked? Am I looking for an excuse and need a kick in the pants? Feel free to kick away! Thanks! Merryjoy22
Posted By: SM64 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 10/16/09 04:31 AM
Hi Merryjoy22,

I had pretty much the exact same bleeding pattern as you have. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism approximately 23 yrs ago. I have taken Synthroid daily ever since. Unfortunately adjusting my meds did not control the bleeding. In Sept. 08 I had Hysteroscopy, D&C and Novasure performed as an outpatient. I arrived around 7am and was on my way home at 9:30am. I was so fortunate to not experience much pain. I felt completely fine by the next day although alittle tired. I had some discharge for about 2 weeks. Prior to the procedure I had an in office uterine biopsy. From my personal experience I am thrilled with my results. I have had over a year of being blood free....................its been heaven! I think I would cry if my period were to return.

I would recommend Novasure to anyone. Unfortunately I cannot answer your question concerning Novasure following a C-section. These are questions you need to discuss with your Dr. I would also recommend testing for hypothyroidism. You need to follow your instincts as far as your body is concerned. From my perspective my hypothyroidism definetly played a role in my bleeding patterns but the medication could not regulate my periods.

I wish you luck!
Posted By: charlenef Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 10/19/09 05:14 PM
I had a c section and novasure for the most part I am happy with it.
Posted By: goldenpig Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 02/10/10 01:37 AM
My doctor suggested me to have Novasure done due to the tumor fibroid in my uterus to avoid heavy bleeding. But you are saying your doctor say different. HELP>>>>>>>> I really need help for this, my life it controlled by my server bleeding...
Posted By: horselover Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 03/07/10 07:06 AM
I had the Novasure procedure done a little over 2 weeks ago. I was assured by my gyno that she could do the procedure in her office with little discomfort for me. I was given a percocet 4 hours prior to the procedure, then one about an hour before the procedure. She also gave me a valume (sp?) 2 1/2 hours before and another 15 minutes before. I had let EVERYONE in her office know that I don't handle pain well, but she assured me I would be just fine. Well, I wasn't. I screamed all during the procedure (my boyfriend said he could hear me in the waiting room). I would like to inform other women of my experience....I feel that this procedure should only be done under general anesthesia and you shouldn't be talked into having it done in a physician's office. About 30 minutes after I got home I experienced severe cramping (comparable to the extreme pains of child birth). I had to take 4 Motrin every 8 hours and a Percocet every 2 hours. This extreme pain lasted for 4 days. I have had cramping since and my [censored] is severely swollen. If I would have the chance to do it all over again I would have just gone for the hysterectomy and not bothered with this procedure.
Posted By: iScout Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 03/20/10 10:56 PM
I had novasure done nov 2009, i was the worse mistake ive ever made. I am suffering so much pain now that, standing, sitting or laying down is hell. I was informed that there where no risks involved with novasure, also told i would be feeling 100% by the next day. Its now march 2010 and after countless ultrasound scans, blood tests, over 2 months worth of antibiotics, im still waiting to find out whats wrong. That was hard to deal with, til i found this site. I see i am not the only one to have suffered the torture of novasure. Anyone looking to have it done... DONT. I will be seeing my dr again, and demanding that i now have a hysterectomy done asap to solve this . My family has suffered aswell, ive not been able to enjoy time with my children, go out of the house unless someone takes me to shops in a car. Life is hell.
Posted By: mel1214 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 05/12/10 03:09 AM
I had the Novasure procedure on april 22, 2010. I had the normal discharge that I was told about but heading into the fourth week this thursday I am now having bright red blood when I go pee and wipe nothing on the pad. I was wondering if this is normal and how long will this go on for? I have been bleeding like this for three days now. Please help me to understand if this is normal or not and if I should call the doctor. Also how long before the discharge and bleeding stop normally?
Posted By: Jehnavi Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 05/17/10 07:29 AM
The size and shape of the uterus must be fairly normal in order to use the system. Fibroids or large polyps inside the cavity of the uterus will interfere with the placement of the device. In that situation I would first use a resectoscope to remove the fibroids or polyps, and would then would do the ablation. The Novasure system, however, is the only FDA approved device that was tested and found to be safe and effective in patients with smaller polyps, up to 2 cm, without having to first remove the polyps. It can also be used to treat a uterus that has fibroids as long as the fibroids do not distort of the shape of the cavity.
Posted By: armymom118 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 05/24/10 03:28 AM
2 years post op & I am doing very well. I no longer suffer from heavy painful periods. I no longer have to stay in bed because of being in so much pain and very bad flows. I don't get that irritable like I used to anymore either and my family is very thankful for that. I only have very light brownish spotting on some months and I have kept a calendar of when I would have gotten my normal period so I know that I am having a period, just a very light spotting maybe on day 1 and nothing more. I hope all the ladys that are still having trouble after Novasure get better. It took me 3 months after novasure to be without periods. The 1st 3 months were light bleeding then it stopped to spotting on some months not every month. Novasure worked super for me and I don't regret it. I only got sick after the procedure because of the anestesia. I threw up once and that was it. I was in a lot of pain for about 6 hours but I only took half a vicodin because I dont like taking meds-after I called my doc she said i needed 1-2 vicodin. After taking the full dose, I was fine. After day 3 I was fully recovered. Discharge lasted about 3 days but was not heavy at all. Hope this info helps for anyone considering the Novasure procedure. I researched a whole year before I did it so yes I suffered an additional year just to make sure it was safe and right for me. And it helped to know my obgyn had done several for a few yrs before I did it. She has a great reputation and I sure did look her name up for any complaints from her patients regarding the procedure and found none. I know there is a website where you can find the stats on the procedure as far as bad outcomes and why.
Posted By: Jahnavi Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 07/21/10 07:47 AM
Hormone therapy consists of oral contraceptives or other medications that treat hormonal imbalances. This therapy is effective only 48% of the time, and usually must be continued in order to remain effective.1 Some women experience undesirable side effects, including headaches, weight change, and nausea.
Posted By: Musbdeby Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 09/28/10 08:47 PM
This post made me feel somewhat better. I did very little research on this procedure before having it. My DR. didn't tell me about the watery/bloody discharge so I began to search for answers and found this site. I had the procedure 9/16/2010 with no pain or problems during the procedure. Now her I am 12 days post and the major issue is the discharge I was not told about and the slight headache that I belive comes from the stress of not knowing whats going on. I hope the discharge stops soon. My cycle before the procedure was awful on days 2 and 3 and every 24 days. No hurting pain, just a pain to live with. So I hope I haven't made things worse.
Posted By: roxanne49 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 11/04/10 12:58 AM
I had Novasure procedure done in 06. I am now having lots of bleeding and severe pain on my right hand side. Appendix already out. Went to DR for ultrasound, and found fibrous cysts but the pain i have may not be caused by this because it is so severe. options: birth control pills to stop period; or hysterectomy. After reading many of your posts...it seems time to bring this website to our drs and let them know about the down sides of this procedure.
Posted By: shancge 3 weeks after Novasure and still bleeding - 12/11/10 01:13 AM
I had did on the 19th of November. It's 3 weeks after and still bleeding. I rested and did all that the Dr said(for once normally I dont) almost a week after I had a bladder infection. I took med. for that. But since I am still cramping and bleeding want me to take another antbiotic. My bleeding first week was just light and brown. Then got to be heavier and red. Now this week it's like fresh blood and clots. They said it should get better finish antibiotics and go in right away if i get a temp. Anyone else have this would love feedback
Posted By: Kenya Re: 3 weeks after Novasure and still bleeding - 12/18/10 02:23 PM
OMG!!!!! I've been in and out of emergency rooms ALOT this year for severe pain in my abdomen and back. One doctor tellin me.."I may have seen a small kidney stone", another tellin me.."oh you may just be a little constipated". I never thought I was having complications from my Novasure procedure. I'm having the pains again now as I'm typin. Something told me to research the procedure I had, which I did before I had it, but this time I typed in "complications from Novasure" and I found this forum. I'm reading everybody's posts and I think this is my problem. My pain is unbearable!!!! I had my surgery in July of 2009. My periods were light and hardly any cramps at all. In March of 2010 I had the worst pain in my abdomen....happened again in September, October, November, and this month, December!!! After reading your posts, I'm on my way 2 the doctor ASAP!!!!! I will keep u all posted!!!
Posted By: slam Re: 3 weeks after Novasure and still bleeding - 01/04/11 05:37 PM
I had my novasure procedure in April, 2010. For the most part, my recovery was just as the doctor expected. Until September, 2010. Since then, like clockwork, when my period is due, I experience excruciating pain unlike anything I've ever had. This is not a cramp, this is a stabbing contracting pain as if my uterus is convulsing and contracting. Each month, my husband wants to take me to the ER and he is becoming more and more frustrated with the OB/GYN. I don't have much of a period anymore (I had the procedure to eliminate the "Gushers" as I fondly called my period)and, I never experienced pain in the past. I am happy with the expected results of a significantly reduced period. However, if I could reverse the procedure in exchange for no more pain, I would do it in a heartbeat. To date, my doctor tells me this has nothing to do with the NovaSure procedure. She has ordered a colonoscopy and has run a battery of other tests. It just seems very ironic that my pain is timed by my cycle and I never had this before the procedure. Each month my period is less and less but, the pain seems to be getting more severe with each passing month. The severe pain lasts about 24-36 hours and resembles a contraction that does not subside. I have to schedule my life around this event as I am unable to function. All the ibuprophen on the planet does not help and my kids are wondering why Mom is hurting so bad. Once that pain is over, I then feel like I've had some major surgery or have been beaten and bruised internally in my entire abdominal area. It is difficult to do anything that requires my abdominal muscles for at least a week post-period. Would love to hear results from your Dr. Visit. I'm at a loss and it seems like we are all in the same boat. BTW, I had several friends who had the procedure and they all have had fantastic results. That is what I based my decision on, but if you are reading this, and considering this procedure, I would look for an alternative, at least until someone finds some answers.
Posted By: csept Re: 3 weeks after Novasure and still bleeding - 01/06/11 01:44 AM
I have to say, that after reading most of the responses to this thread, I will not be doing this procedure. My OB/GYN has also suggested the Novasure for me only after doing the Hysteroscopy. She made sure that she told me to get a 2nd opinion first which I found odd to be coming from her. I don't know why it seemed strange but it did but now, I don't think so. You get these procedures done to be able to function normally and without having to live your life around your period BUT what's the trade-off if you have less of a period and feel like you are giving birth monthly???? What kind of a solution is that??
Posted By: ambhall Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 01/17/11 09:06 PM
Sigh...I know that I'm brand-spanking new here, but I'm frustrated with all of the posts about side-effects and complications that Novasure's website and brochure clearly warn about. No medical procedure is without risks and if you do your research completely, you won't be surprised if you develop a complication. Disappointed yes, but righteously surprised, no.iI had Novasure 4 days ago. I did internet research including medical journals and asked many questions of the medical staff before the procedure. Then I weighed the risks of Novasure against my alternatives (do nothing, D&C, other EA method, or hysterectomy). Novasure offered the second best expected results at the second lowest risk. D&C had lower risks, but less good results and was likely to need repeats. Hysterectomy offered even better results than Novasure, but had the highest risks. Doing nothing was not an option because of severe anemia and flood-like bleeding. And lastly, my doctor didn't offer other EA methods. BTW, Novasure states that 1/4 of women will need a follow-up hysterectomy.
Posted By: csept Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 01/25/11 02:03 AM
From what I've read, hysterectomies were always what was needed after all was said and done...I say just get one and be done with it especially if you don't want to keep going back and forth about this. Just a thought...
Posted By: longlost Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 04/13/11 07:32 PM
Hello all. I am new to the forum and joined specifically for this topic. I have never had totally awful periods. Granted they were not pleasant and I did have very bad cramping but only for the first two days or so. The bleeding with my monthly has never been terribly heavy and it would last from 5 to 7 days. Essentially my monthly has been "normal" all of my life. A few months ago I started to bleed but it was not my monthly as the blood was bright red instead of the dark off-colored blood with menses. It has happened several times since then, only about two weeks apart. I am not experiencing any cramping in conjunction. I am bleeding enough though that I have come close to needing a blood transplant. I have just moved from another state and so I have new doctors. I was referred to an ob/gyn who gave me two options medicine called Lysteda (sp?) or the Novasure procedure. Although for most people taking a pill 4 times a day to stop the bleeding would be preferred to a procedure which has risks inherent in all procedures. This is not an option for me. I have gastroparesis (my stomach is paralyzed) with a feeding tube that goes into my small intestine (a J-Tube). I am no longer able to take medicine by mouth. (Sorry for the next part.) Pills come out like they went in. I, therefore, have to crush all of my meds and put them thru my tube with water. Taking the pill option is not for me as it must be taken 4 times a day, which means that whenever I am on the med, I am forced to carry the med, a pill crusher, a piston syringe and a bottle of water wherever I go. It also requires a place of privacy while in public because I do not think most people would want to watch me putting something through my tube. I am left with Novasure. While I have heard good things there certainly seems to exist more bad outcomes than good unless the bad outcomes are just talked about more, which is probably the case. I am now absolutely unsure of what to do. The doc told me it would be done in the OR under general anesthesia, that it does not work 2% of the time, which means that a hysterectomy would be next, that in 92% of the time no periods are ever had again, that the rest of the percentage experiences a little spotting, that there is approximately 2 weeks of watery discharge (just like you would have with any burn), that it does not prevent PMS, such as moodiness, tender breasts, bloating etc. and that after the procedure it is not terribly painful. So unlike most of the people who have posted, I do not have an underlying problem such as endometrosis, fibroids, hemmoragia, or elsewise. I am simply bleeding out because, as explained, the blood is not old as if it had been collecting on my uterus but is bright red and brand new. Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations as to what should be done?
Posted By: beaver Re: What are the risks with Novasure?it was o - 08/10/11 02:06 AM
My besr friend had this done 6 yrs ago and delivered Bab yboy 4 years later, high risk pregnancy not to mention all the compications. Sle lost everything but one ovary, baby was healthy. Abd she knew it wasn't BC. She was one of the lucky ones> No one wants to mess with that. She was lucky
Posted By: RISEABOVE THIS Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 08/15/11 03:10 PM
[color:#FF99FF] [/color] HELLO EVERYONE. I AM TERRIFIED !!!! I AM A 41 YR OLD FEMALE. I HJAVE BEEN HAVIND SEVERE PROBLEMS WITH MY PERIOD FOR THE LAST 2 YRS. NOW IT'S TO THE POINT THAT I CANT GO OUTSIDE WHEN IM ON MY PERIOD CAUSE IM SO TIRED AND IN PAIN. I WENT TO THE OBGYN 3 WEEKS AGO AND THE FIRST WEEK HE DID BLOOD WORK. THE NEXT WEEK I GOT THE RESULTS...MY HEMOGLOBIN IS 9.8 ( VERY LOW ) AND MY BONE MARROW IS VERY HIGH. THAT CONCERNED HIM. THEN HE DID THE ULTRA SOUND AND PAP. WENT BACK THE FOLLWING WEEK...GOT RESULTS...EVERYTHING SEEMED FINE, UTERUS WAS A 7 KINDA THICK HE SAID. THEN HE DID THE BIOPSY AND I GO TOM FOR THE RESULTS. HE'S BEEN TALKING ABOUT THE NOVASURE LIKE IT'S AN INSTANT MIRACLE.....BUT, IT COULD HAVE IT'S DRAWBACK HE SAYS. I'M SUPPOSED TO LET HIM KNOW TOM WHAT I WANT TO DO. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO !!!! I'VE READ THE GOOD AND BAD STILL CONFUSED. MY PERIOD ARE SO OUT OF WACK...NEVER KNOW WHEN ITS COMING HOW LONG ITS STAYING...THE CRAMPS..THE CLOTS...THE BLOATING...IM TIRED . I WANT TO FEEL BETTER NOT MAKE A PROBLEM WORSE...ANY ADVICE????
Posted By: RISEABOVE THIS Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 08/15/11 03:15 PM
OH AND BTW....HAD MY TUBES TIED IN 89 HAVE 3 HEALTHY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN AND 4 BEAUTIFUL GRANDCHILDREN. NO MORE CHILDREN FOR ME. WOULD THAT HELP WITH THE NOVASURE PROCEEDURE ????
Posted By: *Dawn* Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 09/12/11 07:43 PM
I had the NovaSure procedure 5 years ago. My periods stopped completely except for the ocasional spotting. About a year ago I started having regular periods monthly, they only last a couple of days but I'm trying to understand why this is happening. I only told my doctor about this a couple of weeks ago and she did some testing to try to figure out the problem and was unsuccessful due to the scaring in my uterus from the NovaSure. She wants me to go ahead and get a hysterectomy but I'm not a big fan of that idea...Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you handle it??
Posted By: WineGirl27 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 09/14/11 05:23 PM
I had Novasure (with tubal) in Oct 2009. I bleed for 6 weeks after and had about 6 months of relief. Then I started with spotting & pain on the right side every 3 weeks. The pain got to be so bad I had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. Wish I had stuck with having the occasional D&C.
Posted By: momjjj Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 09/16/11 05:26 PM
Hi I had Novasure 2 months ago. My first period after the procedure was lighter than prior to the procedure. I now have my 2nd period and it is heavier than the first one. Should I assume that the procedure didn't work? Did anyone have this happen, and then their period stopped?
Posted By: csept Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 10/12/11 02:32 AM
Riseabove, if you're not planning on having anymore children, I would say have a hysterectomy and get it all over with. At least you won't have to do anything else. My doctor has asked me about doing the Novasure and after reading every response in regards to it, I will not be doing this. I will be getting a hysterectomy.
Posted By: magnolia65 Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 11/26/11 08:28 PM
I had this procedure done about 20 months ago due to two years of lengthy and heavy monthly cycles and severe anemia. My PCP and GYN both highly recommended this procedure which I contemplated for about 6 months. While the procedure seems to have addressed my anemia, the results are not what I anticpated or what my gyn said was likely. My only research was based on what my gyn told me and what was in the brochure. Because my previous mentrual syptoms were mild (except amount of bleeding), I had not considered that the precedure would affect other symptoms afterwards. After initial surgery and recovery I continued to have a monthly cycle for more than a year with spotting in between. My doctor was not concerned and expressed that the procedure affects each patient differently. Over the last 4 or 5 months my cycle has been reduced to a couple of days of spotting and I thought my body had finally fully adjusted to the procedure. For the last two or three months, however, I have had increasingly severe cramping during menstruation and ovulation. No risk of pregnancy as I had a tubaligation 17 years ago with no complications. This month the pain was so excrutiating I ended up in the ER thinking it was another medical problem. The pain was on my right side, mid and lower abdomen,lower back and right thigh. The cramps felt like severe labor contractions. OTC meds did not even begin to relieve the pain. Blood tests and CT scans ruled out any infections or problems with hurnea, kidney, pancreas, ovaries, appendix and gall bladder. I was given an IV and pain meds in the hospital, which worked, then a script to go home with, which works better than OTC meds. I also have a normal cycle again this month. I have also experience unwanted weight gain. I will be contacting my doctor after the holiday to schedule a visit to address my concerns but am afraid I have undergone an irreversible procedure that created additional complications for the long term. Please consider all your options before undegoing this procedure.
Posted By: VLo Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 12/11/11 02:10 AM
I'm scheduled for this procedure on Friday, 12/16/2011, and it is supposed to help with the heavy bleeding and severe cramping that at times feel like labor pains. Thank you for sharing your experiences because the pamphlet and gyn dr make it sound like it is a miracle procedure. I'm not so confident in this procedure now that I have read these testimonies. Does anyone know what other options there are besides a hysterectomy? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
VLo, I am scheduled for Wed, 12/14. I'm nervous about it too, but I guess its a better step than hysterectomy. I have endometriosois and have gone thru 2 laser surgeries and several medication trials which were terrible! I am nervous, but hopeful that this will help. Good luck to you! I will let you know how I do :)
Posted By: ambhall Re: What are the risks with Novasure? - 01/05/12 12:39 AM
It's been almost a year since I had Novasure done. Please read my previous post about what I did to prepare before the procedure. I am pleased to report that I have not had any of the horrible complications that some other posters swear are inevitable. Occasionally, I have some mild cramping, but only for an hour or so before my monthly spotting-- nothing warranting a trip to the ER or narcotics. I get a "period" lasting a single day and usually only requiring a panty liner. In short, I don't regret getting Novasure. I have traveled to seven countries in the past year--something I NEVER could have done with the heavy bleeding I had before Novasure.
© BellaOnline Forums