BellaOnline
Posted By: Cati - SouthernCooking Help with Pot Roast - 02/28/14 02:25 PM
I am planning to make an Herbed Pot Roast this weekend. I've made this particular recipe twice now, and it turned out well.

Usually, though, my roasts are dry. I've tried different cuts of beef roasts, different sizes, decreasing the cooking time, changing the container in which I cook it (rotisserie, dutch oven, roasting pan, crock pot, etc.) and I still get a dry pot roast.

What am I doing wrong? If you have any suggestions for me, I'm all ears! I love a good pot roast, but I have a hard time making them successfully.
If it's a round roast, I make sure that the fat pad is on top. Also, I keep a bit of hot water in the pan. I have also used beer to add moisture.

The water makes good gravy or soup stock.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Help with Pot Roast - 03/15/14 05:52 AM
I use a can of chopped tomatoes around the base ...
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Help with Pot Roast - 09/13/14 05:08 PM
My favorite kind of pot roast is a chuck roast, a thick 2 inch chuck steak seared on all sides with onions in a frying pan. I place the seared meat in a baking pan with the drippings and onions poured over it, then I add a little water around the meat. I cover with aluminum foil and bake on low heat for about three hours. The meat just falls apart in chunks, just the way I like it. I don't like thinly sliced pot roast. I also add cut up potatoes and carrots to the pan about 45 minutes before the meat is done. It is a complete meal.
© BellaOnline Forums